guarantor letter

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
We are planning our move to the dr in 4-5 years. We have bought a condo that we will be renting out and hope to have 2-3 more before we move.
We don't know a "sponsor" . The realtor is so far the only person we are in close contact with. Who did you all use as a guarantor to obtain residency status, or is there another way around this?
Thanks.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Lambada, after spending a day in Imigración just this last week, my updated information says it is necessary. (I have the latest and greatest 'Requirements Document' in my hands). Perhaps there are ways around it, but I would not know. It is the document for permanent residency, and not for the original 1 year temporary.

robbie, perhaps the most common way of doing this, is to approach your local attorney. After buying a few more condos, your local attorney should be well able to give you the Carta de Garantía :laugh:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
robbie, you should post your question in the Legal section so as to get the reply of Fabio Guzman, the attorney who answers questions in this section. Unlike most of the rest of us, he does not read the other sections. On matters related to the law you are better off with an informed answer than opinion.

I suggest you read the detailed explanation that Fabio has posted on his website regarding obtaining residency http://www.drlawyer.com/txt/articlesimm.html You will see that one of the requirements for both the provisional residency and the permanent residency is "Notarized letter of guarantee from a Dominican person or corporation or a permanent resident"

I got residency nearly 20 years ago and a letter of guarantee was required for both the provisional and permanency, same requirement as is still in existence today.

Makes sense when you think about it and it is not unlike what is required in most other countries of the world. The US is lax about illegal immigration, but most countries are not and they require evidence of solvency.

If you note in Fabio explanation, the guarantee letter can be from a permanent resident. Among the people you know here it is likely there are some with permanent residency who may not even know that a guarantee letter from them is suifficient.

Someone has suggested asking the attorny who helps you with property purchase and that is worth considering. But if you have friends who have permanent residency, talk with them about helping you out with the letter so that you can get your residency.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
thanks for your replies. I see that you have mentioned its not for the initial residency , only the permanent which opens alot of doors.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lambada, after spending a day in Imigraci?n just this last week, my updated information says it is necessary. (I have the latest and greatest 'Requirements Document' in my hands).

In which case I will defer to your more recent info. I last renewed my permanent in May 2005. Does this 'guarantor' apply to renewals as well as first time applications? I assume you were renewing............?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
In which case I will defer to your more recent info. I last renewed my permanent in May 2005. Does this 'guarantor' apply to renewals as well as first time applications? I assume you were renewing............?

I was renewing and this was easy, pay your money, get your form, fill it out and hand it in with the old residencia carnet, wait a little while and get your brand new card .. a piece of cake.

The person with me was doing the temporary to permanent thing and the Carta de Garantía was necessary.

robbie, I am very sure that the guarantee is necessary for the initial temporary as well.

Last edited:

cork

Aug 23, 2003
corporation

We just did our provisional residency in July through Fabio's office. Our corporation, the one we bought with the house, guaranteed us.

For information only, we filed for residency on September 5 2005 and it took Fabio's office until July 7 2006 to get it.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
thanks for your replies. I see that you have mentioned its not for the initial residency , only the permanent which opens alot of doors.

robbie, apparently you didn't read my post or the material on Fabio's website that I linked you to. The guarantee letter is required for BOTH provisional and permanent residency.

Lambada, no guarantee letter needed for renewals of the permanent residency, just when you apply for the permanent and provisional residency.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lambada, no guarantee letter needed for renewals of the permanent residency, just when you apply for the permanent and provisional residency.

Thanks. Interesting that 20 years ago you needed a guarantor letter at first application & 13 years ago we didn't. Could be that you went the lawyer route for your first application? Maybe those who didn't use a lawyer didn't need one? Anyway, all past history now, since times have changed and nowadays people are better advised to use a lawyer.

My last renewal was trouble free also, Chris, but it took one hour and fifty minutes. The renewal before that took one hour and fifteen minutes. Have to see if I can do better next time. :)