How big is a Taera

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
I hope I spelled that correctly.... But can someone tell me how many meters are in a Taera? Thanks

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
You probably mean a 'tarea'. It depends on which country but in the DR it is about 630 square meters which translates to about 1/8th of an acre or over 5,000 square feet. In the DR that would be a larger home or a smaller building lot.
Measures in particular, are eccentric in Latin America.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I always thought it was 1/7-1/8 of an acre, MOL. Is that correct?

(Posted at the same time as Everett's^^^^)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And I always figured it was 1/6 of an acre. 6 tareas to an acre.
1 hectare = 15.9 tareas = 2.5 acres...

The tarea is NOT an exact measurement in the campo. It is, however, on all land deeds. So many hectares, tareas etc. I think that is is closer to 629 sq mts, but for rough figuring go with 6 :: 1

HB

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
1 TAREA = approx. 628 sqm (not meters)

m'frog

I'm a little confused..628sqm per 1 Tarea.. So how many sqm is in a meter?

Is that a valid question...?

Isn't a meter 3.3 feet when measured lenghtwise?

So a Tarea would be what size in American measurements if it was a square box parcel?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
No Mix

...The tarea is NOT an exact measurement in the campo. It is, however, on all land deeds. So many hectares, tareas etc.

In a land measurement hectares and tareas do not mix very well... ;)
The Land Title (Certificado de Titulo) gives you the SQM (Upper right corner) which is then broken down to H, A, M and D.
These stand for Hectares (= 10,000 sqm), Ares (= 100 sqm), Meters (which should read Squaremeters = 1 sqm) and one hundreth sqm.

mfrog

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
I Googled it and most are correct at 629 sq. meters. The Google reference went on to say that in Cuba and Venezuela they have different values.
I wonder if it is an old Spanish measurement for area? As rods and furlongs are to the English?
I think 'arroba' for example is Iberian maybe like 'stone' is to the English.
Archaic weights and measures are interesting as they carry history with them.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
zac023,

Roughly 80 feet square. That is a square 80 feet by 80 feet. I believe that was what you were asking for

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, and I am glad that M'froggy has corrected my mistake.
That is Hectares, Areas Centares and Decimeters....Tareas are mentioned on some titles but when you try to get an accurate measurement it has to be in the HACD system.

In "olden" times, I think that the tarea was a measure of 20 "varas" and a vara was different in different places.
When I was indulging my passion for agriculture, we used a 'vara' to measure work done on the farms. We paid ditches by the 'vara'and we paid tractors, weeding and other work by the tarea.

Now the funny thing was that the vara we used was one I made. A nice long sapling was prepared.
Next to the 'vara', I stretched up with my arm, like a bear at a tree.
That was marked.
From that mark, we measures the distance from my elbow joint to the tip of my middle finger, and that was marked.
Then, "una cuarta" was marked--one of my handspreads. that was the 'vara'.

Now, when we sold land we found a shorter person to make the 'vara' ...

Just how things are done in the campo...

HB

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
If it is 5000 sqaure feet then the square root of that would be: 70.7 X 70.7.
That is assuming that it is 5,000 square feet.
HB seems to have the best handle on this.
Is that correct - the 5,000 Sq. Ft. calculation?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Funny how a simple question like this would inspire 17 (make that 18) posts in less than 2 hours.