Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wireless Broadband

A friend of mine is interested in buying a house on the North Coast after drooling over some of the properties on the Juanperdomo website.

Broadband internet is a must have for him, what is the situation with availability along the North coast?

Is 'wireless' broadband an option?

Does anyyone have any info?

Cheers

Paul

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

DSL (broadband) up to 1.5MB is readily available on the north coast. What area is he looking at?

Paul, tell him to go drool over some properties at the DR1 Property Center

http://www.dr1.com/realestate/index.shtml

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up No definate area as yet

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    DSL (broadband) up to 1.5MB is readily available on the north coast. What area is he looking at?

Paul, tell him to go drool over some properties at the DR1 Property Center

http://www.dr1.com/realestate/index.shtml
    HaHa

Thanks Robert I'll point him in that direction also never fear. He's a South African, he's loves the self-sufficient life-style and has lived in some areas that make the DR seem like a kindergarden, no exageration, I've explained the expat set-up and how DR1 gives the lowdown of exactly what to expect from life there but he has some stories to tell regarding dangerous places to live that would make your hair curl. When you have lived among an indigenous population of 11 major tribes, all who hate each other, you become very good at being careful.

Anyway, he's looking for a plot of between .25 and an acre, 3 bedrooms, very near the beach. Somewhere he can park the boat and go fishing most days. He's not in a position to jump at the first opportunity anyway, but isn't a long way from it timewise. His eldest son is on the verge of flying the nest and as soon as he does its time to pack up and head for sunnier shores.

He hadn't even considered the Carribean area until I trapped him in my offfice and gave him my usual 'DR presentation' - he was quite literally stunned by some of the properties and their locations, and of course the prices. I think the phrase he used most was 'but that's only £xxx,000 British pounds isn't it?.'

Some of the areas that appealed to him were, Cabrera, Sosua, Cabarete.

Cheers
    Paul

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freemo View Post
    He's a South African, he's loves the self-sufficient life-style and has lived in some areas that make the DR seem like a kindergarden, no exageration, I've explained the expat set-up and how DR1 gives the lowdown of exactly what to expect from life there but he has some stories to tell regarding dangerous places to live that would make your hair curl. When you have lived among an indigenous population of 11 major tribes, all who hate each other, you become very good at being careful.
    Hey, so am I .. and can probably tell a few stories too. Put us in contact Is he a boer or a redneck? If he is a boer, give him a message from me... "one bullet, one boer."

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Hey, so am I .. and can probably tell a few stories too. Put us in contact Is he a boer or a redneck? If he is a boer, give him a message from me... "one bullet, one boer."
    He says he's a redneck, and laughed at your cryptic message.

I take it life in South Africa is somewhat more risky than life in DR.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Flash Movil 3G

Verizon Dominicana offers internet via the celular system.
    Called Flash Movil 3G, it is supposed to provide you with speed up to 2mbps.
    Here is my experience:
    I am using it with a cel phone connected to the computer via a dedicated and costly (3000RD$) USB cable.
    The speeds I get are nothing to write home about it...
    In the city, I get speeds up to 14.4kB/s, once outside the city, barely 1.5kB/s
    which is way less than a dial-up modem!
    The cel phones sold here are 1G (old slow system)
    The Verizon service is supposedly 3G (recent technology). I seriously doubt that Verizon here in the DR is 3G...
    On the other hand you can purchase a PCMCIA card (around 13000RD$ + dedicated cel account) to plug in into your laptop. 3G? speeds? Not a clue.
    Internet Flash (ADSL) is great if it works fine. I am living at the end of the phone line, so my speeds are way under what I pay for.
    Welcome in paradise...
    My two cents.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I take it life in South Africa is somewhat more risky than life in DR.
    In some respects I would say so. Anyway, the board is a good place to ask questions and to figure out the vagaries of the Dominican Republic.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a PCMCIA card (basically wireless broad band card). Would that work if I get a DR Verizone SIM Card? Do they charge by the minute, data download or flat rate?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusL1 View Post
    I have a PCMCIA card (basically wireless broad band card). Would that work if I get a DR Verizone SIM Card? Do they charge by the minute, data download or flat rate?
    The wireless broadband services here are useless, regardless of the provider.
    Slow and unreliable. Think dial-up with lots of people sharing the connection

Also....

Lots of threads on DR1 dedicated to this subject, maybe 250+.
    Use the "search" it's your friend

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What a change!

...he's loves the self-sufficient life-style....
    Then he should get internet access via satellite and have nothing to do with Verizon...

Sosúa or Cabarete?
    Near the beach?
    One acre?
    OMG, he'll get homesick...

m'frog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast