Best Car Rental Company & Directions

bandida10

Aug 25, 2006
Hey All,

I am just wondering what the best car rental company is in the Puerto Plata area. And approximate costs to rent a car for 2-4 days. Also, how long does it take to drive from PuertoPlata to Rio San Juan? Would it be less expensive to rent a car or take the bus? (There are 4 of us going, one Domincano, but I just wanted to get some feedback from others).
Also how are the highways in this area? Any info would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Hey All,

Would it be less expensive to rent a car or take the bus? (There are 4 of us going, one Domincano, but I just wanted to get some feedback from others).
Thanks!

No question that the bus (guagua) is less expensive. Leaves from Central Park in Puerto Plata every 15 minutes. POP-Rio San Juan is 80 pesos/person. Slightly more expensive but more comfortable would be a combination of public taxis. Puerto Plata-Sosua then Sosua-Rio San Juan.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Public transportation in the DR is very inexpensive.

There are numerous options for car rental companies, and I'm sure your response to who is the "best" will be all over the map, based on each persons anecdotal experience.

My "strategy" has always been to use Travelocity or Expedia to search for the best rate for the time frame and type of car I want. I then go to the website of the company with the lowest rate and book through them. If they have an office in the city (not the airport) I pick the car up there to avoid location fees. I have rented from Avis, Budget, Hertz and National using this method, and have no complaints. I once used Adventure (local company) because their rate for an SUV was lower and I was planning on traveling some roads which required a 4wd. I was not impressed.

POP airport to Rio San Juan is about a 90 minute drive. They have done a lot of work on the North coast highway, and it is actually in pretty good shape.

bandida10

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks for your help! Also, how much can I expect to spend on food per day? Nothing to expensive, maybe street vendors or fast food.
Thanks again!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I once used Adventure (local company) because their rate for an SUV was lower and I was planning on traveling some roads which required a 4wd. I was not impressed.
I rent exclusively from Adventurecar, and they have always been very responsive to all my needs, including the occasional road-created problem.

Gipsy's customer service is great!

dabl

Apr 23, 2006
You have very good rental company,at very low price. It's Universal Rent a Car company which is located in Cabarete main street.

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
im looking to rent a car for 2 weeks aug 8-22, avis told me they have the latest car (im trying to rent a jetta) do they have the latest jetta or is it old? any other trustedc ompanies in santiago to rent with.

Sep 19, 2005
im looking to rent a car for 2 weeks aug 8-22, avis told me they have the latest car (im trying to rent a jetta) do they have the latest jetta or is it old? any other trustedc ompanies in santiago to rent with.

I saw this and have to reply..

The first trip i ever made on my own to the DR, where I was going to rent a car, I flew into STI and I was going to rent with AVIS. I had arrainged everythign ahead and planned so well. And the car was a 2006 VW Jetta. I actually went to the VW dealer here to see if I fit into it ( I am 6'3") and I fit fine. But dont ya know the plane lands 2.5 hours late, and AVIS is closed for the night 11 pm!!!! the only place open is Savings rental car and so i rent a big older Mitsubishi LIMITED. good thing....three days later I broad sided a huge horse that broke away from a guy walking it as I approached....since the front end of this limited was so high, I broke the horses shoulder and he bounced off.....smashed the front end a bunch.

If I had that Jetta, that horse would have rolled over the hood right into my lap......fate.....thats my STI, AVIS, Jetta story... ha ha ha

I have rented an SUV every trip since( 16 times)

bob

Sep 19, 2005
so it was confirmed that you would get a 2006 jetta, are you sure?

In the DR the only possible means of confirmation...is actually sitting in the car!!!!ha ha ha

abd so I never got to confirm that.....they love to promise you the moon and deliver a trip to the Poconos instead..ha ha ha

bob

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
daggg i claled they told me 05-06 i dont believe them :( ohh well the price is good with tax