Verizon Internet Flash

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I have been having just a terrible time with my internet lately. It is extremely slow and times out constantly. Now it does not do this at night. Only during the day. Verizon tells me the problem is not on their end. And it logically is not on my end. So, what is it. I think something may be sucking their bandwidth from my location. Either that or they don't know how to optimize their servers. Any suggestions?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
-do you have an adsl routeur ?
-Is it directly connected to your PC ?

If not, it must be connected to a switch, that distributes the internet among various PC's... Make sure one of the other users is not downloading movies on eMule all the time ;)

Down here, Verizon Internet Flash is just as usual...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
OK, it is not hooked up to anything but my one computer. I know a thing or two about computers. I know the problem is not on my end because the computer works fine at night. This is a bandwidth issue. It has to do with their servers or lack of. But getting them to admit to that is another thing. Yet I have to pay their high prices for a $10 valued service. Problem is I really need high speed internet for my work. I can't function like this. So they are going to send a tech out. I will be happy to pay if the problem ends up being on my end. Hell, I will pay if they just fix the problem.

But...does anyone know of alternatives in the Santiago area?????????

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
Verizon from experience!

I changed over to Verizon in my offices on March 19 of this year. I tried to ping my offices in the states and could not. They kept telling me it was a problem in my office and kept arguing. I kept telling them it was a block on my line in their main office. I kept insisting it was a problem in thier office. They told me I was nuts and I would have to pay extra for a tech to come out and check.

Bottom line, make a lonmg story short, after over thirty two hours of telephone conversations, and thrirteen techs coming to my office before the head tech came on April 27, he came in and guess what?

There was a block in the main office!

Don't expect miracles! They have their own processes. They will jerk you around forever as each tech is only educated to a certain point......Japanese style...one guy puts the tire on the wheel, one guy does one nut, next guy does the next nut etc.

Just be patient and you to may some day get full service again!

JRR

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Don't expect miracles! They have their own processes. JRR

Good advice from J.

On the same note...Verizon has started advertising that they now offer the Blackberry...which I am interested in. I want a one-piece phone/PDA (the Treo sucks and does not interest me). I spoke to Verizon and the Blackberry is only available to business customers. No word on how long it will be until it is available to the rest of us.

Does Orange offer the Blackberry? Does anybody have an alternative to the Blackberry? I have seen a few alternatives but they don't seem to have the same utility.

Scandall

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
nighttime and all is well...

works great. that tells me the problem is not on my end. bandwidth. They have bandwidth issues at verizon and they will probably never admit it. Is there and upgrade to Internet Flash. Anyone know?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm having trouble, the computer in office where I live is, too, and a businessman in town told me he is having trouble. Slow, and most of the time I have to make a number of trys to connect to a website. Fortunately I added the "Try Again" extension so once I click "try again" it keeps trying until I get the desired website.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Verizon has had problems connecting to certain web sites for a few days now. The problem is Verizon's, not your connection.

I use a few different browsers, and sometimes one browser will connect to a site that another won?t. You might try that approach until they straighten this out.

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
Same problem here, they even demanded to install a new post for the cable. I do not understand what difference it would make because mostly night-times it works. Saturdays and weekends are the worst....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We have the same problems here in Santo Domingo. Maybe the Verizon DNS servers are having problems, who knows? You will never find out the real reason and it will never be their fault :)

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
just to call a few Verizon problems:

Very very very spammer friendly (that they use your bandwidth with penisenlargers and pills is no problem - and they pay a lot more than you do)
Very P2P friendly (that you cannot work, who cares, music first)
Very few technicians, who know more than "where do i have to click"
Very ignorant (ofcourse THEY are verizon, who do you think you are)
And than as well the amazing amount of windows-zombie and virus infected computers on the verizon network (and also in their own offices)
does not make your connection really happy during the daytime

Other solution?
Satellite,
and not Direcway, because they suffer the same (and more) problems,
and that comes with a price (but you get something back for it)

Arjan

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
My 2 cents : I don't run Windows, and I have a bunch of PC's on my network, and they all share a Verizon Internet Flash connection. It works fast, quite snappy...

It is the "Plan Basico 2", with a 768 Kb/s download and a 128 Kb/s upload.

Never had a problem, and as you might already know from my other posts, I happilly run Linux on my desktops :)

No viruses, no spyware... 8)

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Are you saying that if I run Linux I will get a better internet connection? Do I still use Firefox or any browser?

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
I am saying that if you run any other OS than Windows (such as Linux, BSD, or Mac), your PC won't get invested with viruses, spywares, adwares & malwares. Those bad things are what slows your PC, it is not that your bandwidth will change, but on a clean PC, everything goes faster, including the internet connection.

And yes, running Linux is a very practical way to have a FAST system, with a fast internet a a consequence.

Here are 2 links to very easy Linux distros (in english only) :

http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?6

http://www.freespire.org/

If you need a system in spanish, or any other languages, check those :

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://www.mandriva.com/community/mandrivaone

If you want to get informed about Linux and BSD :

http://distrowatch.com/

Or just Google it :)

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Are you saying that if I run Linux I will get a better internet connection? Do I still use Firefox or any browser?

just getting rid of
the overhead created by windows
the unessesary polls for some ms-network neighbourhood
the unneccesary use of port 1350139 445 and other ms related things
your pc will not try to connect every minute to the verizon nameserver (a windows pc) , just to send your info, because your windows thinks it is a win-dns server, so windows will try to connect YOUR local network, to everyone on the verizon network
being afraid that someone is messing around inside your pc
etc etc etc

You get a clean tcp/ip stack without all the unneccesary dancing rabbits around it

and as result, even a crappy connection, will work fine

there is firefox for linux, but also konquerer and others

it is a change, but it is like jumping into a pool , first you think the water is icecold and that you cannot stand it and an hour later you leave the same pool because the water is too warm.

you need ti think different, and you need to get used to it, YOU need to make decisions the OS will just ask you the question,
but in the long run you will see the value (of any other OS than windows).

And NO i don't use Linux on this PC, not MAC, i run a BSD clone

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'm taking an opposite view. You run the OS that will allow you, on the application side and user environment side, to do what you must do.

Anyway Verizon improved miraculously today.