Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electricity

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electricity

What is the deal with the electricity in the Dominican Republic, specifically in Santiago? I just got back from a trip to Santiago and while I was there the electricity was cut every single day for hours on end. Why does this happen?

On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

I just spent 2 weeks in Jarabacoa and the electricity was off most days for several hours but on after dark every night until morning.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The cause of the problem can be blamed on theft of electricity. The electricity producers are able to collect for about half of the energy which they produce. The unpaid for electricty is lost mainly due to theft. The Dominican government subsidizes the producers to make up for some of this loss. Due to the rising costs of fuel, the deficit has increased and the electric producers simply turn off the circuits when they don't have enough revenue to pay for the electric produced. Logic would tell you that they should only turn off only the non-paying consumers. Logic has no role in the DR.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by QueFlor View Post
    What is the deal with the electricity in the Dominican Republic, specifically in Santiago? I just got back from a trip to Santiago and while I was there the electricity was cut every single day for hours on end. Why does this happen?
    It has been like this ever since I can remember, and that's quite a few years. if you go to the Edenorte website you'll see they have schedules for the time they turn off the power to the different parts of the Cibao region.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOWMAR View Post
    Logic would tell you that they should only turn off only the non-paying consumers. Logic has no role in the DR.
    If only it were that simple.I would assume the paying and non paying customers are on the same lines,so shutting power to one household and not another would be difficult.
    The whole system needs to be overhauled and that won't happen in our lifetime.
    hifiman

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hifiman View Post
    If only it were that simple.I would assume the paying and non paying customers are on the same lines,so shutting power to one household and not another would be difficult.
    hifiman
    What's happening with setting up contracts? That's all the people were talking about when I was there now. They kept discussing what would be the best thing to do. It seems that now the power company is gonna set up contracts and those that haven't paid for months and years must pay before they get their contracts renewed.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

hifiman
    Not really, in most countries you can be arrested and prosecuted if you are found with an illegal hookup or reconnecting after being disconnected. They are simply afraid of enforcing this against the masses in the barrios.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOWMAR View Post
    Not really, in most countries you can be arrested and prosecuted if you are found with an illegal hookup or reconnecting after being disconnected. They are simply afraid of enforcing this against the masses in the barrios.
    Yes but a lot of these hookups are not metered,so they would have to go to every individual household to see if they have a legal hookup or not.
    hifiman

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes but a lot of these hookups are not metered,so they would have to go to every individual household to see if they have a legal hookup or not.
    hifiman
    Wouldn't they have to go to every household to read a meter anyway? The point being made is that they have decided to punish those that pay their bills along with the energy thieves, rather than police those that steal their electric. HBO showed a documentary film concerning AES (the same company doing business in the DR) and how they successfully resolved the energy problems of Georgia (former Soviet state). They have said that would never work in the DR because they have no support from the government on enforcement issues.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

For the long-timers... how many chuckle indulgently at such a "fresh" observation?

"Continuous electricity? HAHAHA! How naive!"

I remember calling the CDE emergency line 3-4 times a week, til it finally sunk in and I realized my neighbors were laughing at me.

I remember a real estate agent showing me a pretty nice oceanfront apt. near a stinky/ripe drainage site here in Pto Pta... "and don't worry about the smell, you get used to it!", she smiled.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast