Objectivity re Safety/Crime in SD...

valentino

Aug 21, 2006
I would appreciate it if anyone there who lives in/has spent a solid amount of time in SD can OBJECTIVELY share their thoughts on it, re living there as a foreigner (American) in regard to being mugged and/or having your things stolen from your apartment, or some such place.

Let's assume that I'll (if possible) get a place for $400.00/$500.00 a month, or less - if such can be had while remaining reasonably safe at similar prices; further, that I'll be exploring the city, and out at night but not over-partying.

Further, can one walk around most neighborhoods by day, really check out the city (without being stupid) without much concern/crime issues?

Finally, during the evenings/night (but not too late or remote...), how would you characterize the safety situation?

Let's talk about this frankly, without heads in the sand or being paranoid...

THANKS

Last edited:

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
Valentino, there are numerous irritants you'll encounter here, but it's generally a pretty civilized place overall.

Come on down to check it out. The natural beauty, the hospitality and warmth of the Dominicans make up for a lot.

G

gary short

I've travelled frequently to the DR and central America over the past 20 years. I'm from Vancouver Canada and I feel as safe in the DR as I do in Vancouver......in fact I wouldn't be surprised if there is less property crime in the DR....also the DR is such an increadibly beautifull place ...it should be explored north to south, east to west.

valentino

Aug 21, 2006
Thanks you two, but while I do wonder about these points for the DR in general, I am more curious in relation to more specific thoughts on Santo Domingo...

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
Just like anywhere, your comfort level will be linked to your expense account... we have 2, 3 and 4-star acommodations in STO DGO... your ideal location will depend on what you want to do here, your age, resources, needs, etc.

In my opinion, it's likely to be better than where you are now.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Valentino,

I have found that here in the DR is similar to there in the US in that if you act accordingly you will have no problems. As this is such a poor country you will find from time to time that if you don't use some normal caution you might get ripped off. That is to say if you travel around with gold jewelry on and/or a cell phone swinging in the breeze you might find a person that will decide that the risk is worth it and attempt to take it.

As to your dwelling I would suggest that you don't let anyone in where they might see what possessions you may own. If they know you have computers in the apartment and they see you leave without it as you wonder around they may decide that the risk is worth it and attempt to break-in.

The other side of the coin is that you may never have any problems. I've lived here 10 years and have never had anyone rob me or my home nor anyone start an altercation with me or anything. This may be due to my following the normal things I mentioned above or the Dominicans are not as bad as I've been lead to believe. Rather then tempt fate I just use precautions.

Rick