Weather In Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Hello Everyone,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Puerto Plata for our 2nd wedding anniversary and plan on staying at the Coral Marien. I have never been to the North and would like to know when their rainy season is, so that we may avoid it. Also, if someone has any comments regarding the Coral Marien, they would be greatly appreciate. In addition, if we could not get a flight into Puerto Plata, how far is the Santiago airport from there?

Thanks!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Santiago airport is about 1.5 hrs from Playa Dorada-Coral Marien by car. POP airport is about 10 minutes.

CM is one of the top hotels on the North Coast. The beach is not great.

Rainy season is November through January.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Conchman gave you good information. However the beach is being improved as part of the government programs on the north coast. It should be much nicer when finished. THe work should be going on in September.

The Coral Marien is one of the nicest hotels on the north coast, the food is very good and the staff are friendly.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
The beaches are much nicer in Punta Cana, as well the water is clearer and less rough. However, the Tourism Department is currently refurbishing the Playa Dorada beaches with new sand being brought in from Rio San Juan, will be white and beautiful. The north coast is nice with many things to do and lot to explore. Enjoy.

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Santiago airport is about 1.5 hrs from Playa Dorada-Coral Marien by car. POP airport is about 10 minutes.

CM is one of the top hotels on the North Coast. The beach is not great.

Rainy season is November through January.[/QUOTE]

How rainy is it in November? Is it worth even going?

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
The beaches are much nicer in Punta Cana, as well the water is clearer and less rough. However, the Tourism Department is currently refurbishing the Playa Dorada beaches with new sand being brought in from Rio San Juan, will be white and beautiful. The north coast is nice with many things to do and lot to explore. Enjoy.

What resort would you recommend in Punta Cana?

lilredrooster

Aug 12, 2006
Puerto Plata is better

Punta Cana is boring outside the resorts. You can find water and beaches just as nice around PUerto Plata, my opinion. Much more to do as well.
Rain doesn't last long when it rains, wouldn't worry 'bout it. I figure someone will chime in with some rain charts for the last 25 years to dispute that, but for me well worth it so come on down.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Don't let the potential weather influence your decision. During rainy season, most rain via short tropical outbursts of hard rain in the later afternoon, evening, or night. Of course sometimes its cloudy and rainy for several days, just like everywhere else. You can have a week of sunshine with no rain during rainy season. On the other hand it could rain every day for a few days.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
See http://dr1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34
There is a link there with frequent updates on weather in Puerto Plata, posted by a person who is there.

Also see http://www.dr1.com/travel/expect/weather.shtml

Re the "rainy season"...
Weather around the world is so changed with global warming, etc. that I would doubt if there is such a thing as a dry season and a rainy season -- at least in the Caribbean.

Note that even if there are showers when you come, as pointed out to me by one foreigner, the rain is warm. The norm is that showers come and go, any time of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.