Dominican Consulate Miami web address??

rainbow123

Jul 28, 2006
Help, help, HELP! I'm a British citizen with a US birth certificate and the DR embassy in London have just told me that they will not legalise any document which has not been attested by the Foreign and Commonwealth office. The FCO will not legalise documents from outside the UK.

I can't get married without this stuff.

My only option seems to be to have my birth certificate legalised by the DR consulate in Miami, but I can't find their website address. I don't think they have one!? PANIC PANIC PANIC

I've only got three months to sort this out!! That is not a long time for this kind of stuff.

Any hints, tips, suggestions or help would be so much appreciated!!!!!

dringa

Oct 17, 2004
Dominican Republic Consulate
1038 Brickell Ave
Miami, FL 33131
(305) 358-3220

The above is the best I could do in getting a phone number. I dont think they have a website but you can log into the Embassy of DR in Washington D.C. website and can get most of your questions answered.

http://www.domrep.org/

Try the above site - not sure if this helps or not - good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

rainbow123

Jul 28, 2006
Thank you kindly.
Unfortunatley that website seems to be under construction. I did look for a while yesterday, still can't find one.

I'm feeling a bit hopeless today.

In order to get married in the DR my partner and I have to each swear a seperate statement of celibacy which must then be notarised by a lawyer (£100?), send these together with his birth certificate and adoption cert to the FCO in London for certification by registered mail (£19per doc =£76, allow several weeks for processing) get those back, send them to the DR embassy in London where they must all be certified (£60 per doc=£240, 7days?), then translated into Spanish and certified again (add £85 per doc=£340, another 7++days processing, and why the hell do they need to certify them twice, I've got to produce the originals anyway!?), order an apostilled copy of my birth cert from Florida ($40?- which must be paid by credit card, which neither of us have - allow a couple weeks processing again), then make many international phone calls trying to find out how and where I can send my birth cert for legalisation by the DR embassy, probably trying to talk to those awful robotic anwerphones (anyone tried the US Embassy in London? its enough to make you do something nasty), and if the fees are anything like the London office pay another £150.

Then when and if we are married on the beach, the JP has to take the document to the civil office, (cost?) then we have to have it attested by the UK embassy in the DR (cost?), and then we have to register it when we get home.

Boo bloody hoo. The travel agent never told me about all this...
I thought we would have a romantic, casual wedding on the beach with everything taken care of. Now it looks like I'm going to have to have a registry "do".

Its not all that important, at least I'm marrying the man I love. But it is rather dissapointing!

rainbow123

Jul 28, 2006
they even have email!! Thank you v much

Its just a legal document confirming you've never been married or are formally divorced.

Did you know that a woman has to wait something like 10 months after divorce before she can remarry, (unless she is remarrying her husband) but a man can do it almost straight away? Bizarro

Cheers ears better make that call, ciao

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006

Its just a legal document confirming you've never been married or are formally divorced.

Did you know that a woman has to wait something like 10 months after divorce before she can remarry, (unless she is remarrying her husband) but a man can do it almost straight away? Bizarro

I guess a man made that law, huh?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
They answer e mail on Dominican time, so DO NOT depend on an e Mail response anytime soon!

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003

If I recall correctly, the reason for this is that when these laws were passed there was no such thing as DNA paternity tests.

Since a normal pregnancy (a woman's natural burden) usually lasts 9 months, the law was intended to protect the woman and her child in the eventuality that she may be pregnant but divorced from the dad and keep him finacnially and legally accountable for the offspring following a legal termination of marriage since back in the days when the law passed the benefits of being a legitimate child and an out-of-wedlock child were quite substantial. You always know who your mother is, but can't always identify the dad; at least in the days when no DNA screening was available.

So, the law, as bizarre as it seems had a pro-women, pro-children bias.
- Tordok

RubyII

Jan 31, 2009
I have a question on a paternity situation. The father of the child want full custody of the child where can he get the form to cliam the child since the mother doesn't want to take care of the child. Do he have to go to DR for the legal forms or can he do it in the USA with the consulant of DR?? Also, do you need the mother to sign the form to give the father full custody of the child??