Malaria Warning for Punta Cana?

acook

Aug 29, 2006
Hello, I am traveling to DR THIS weekend and today a co-worker forwarded a travel advisory saying there is a developing malaria threat for the Caribbean... it specifically stated Punta Cana which is where we will be staying. Can anyone provide any more insight/advice on this recent travel advisory? :ermm:

Thanks/A. Cook

G

gary short

Malaria can be treated.....Dengue cannot as far as I know

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You have more chance of being hit by lightning on the golf course whilst marking your score card after getting a hole in one on a par 5.

I have never heard of any tourists ever getting malaria in the DR in the past 5 years. Can someone please send me some info on recent cases.
I'm serious, I would like to see the details, case history etc.

I really get sick and tired of some of these travel advisory's.

G

gary short

I guess the question is what area of the country are people getting Dengue fever????? Because unlike malaria dengue cannot be treated thus the number of deaths recorded this year.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I do believe there were two Canadian tourists or got Malaria last year (can someone confirm that?), but when you figure 4 million tourists per year...........your chances are close to nil.

Dengue Fever might be another issue.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I do know a Belgian girl returned from Punta Cana this May with malaria. However, those appear to be a few isolated cases, on a huge total number of tourists, but always from Punta Cana.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I wish to also interject that I have lived here for over 10 years and have never had Dengue or Malaria and honestly don't think that a visitor has anything to fear in that respect. Every year we run through the same routine concerning these sicknesses and it seems that this year the reported cases of dengue are up in comparison to last year. The only people that seem to get sick are the locals from areas throughout the country.

Due to the importance of tourism to this country the preventive measures used in the tourist areas are increased drastically in relation to the rest of the country. Robert in post #4 gave the best answer to you.

Enjoy your stay in our little part of paradise as I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.

Rick

bobelon

Aug 12, 2006
If you live in the Caribbean you have most likely been bitten by a mosquito carrying dengue. A recent blood test revealed that both my wife and I had recent exposure. A Dr. here in St. Maarten is doing a study and we will report the findings when available. The good news is that most people fight it off.

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
All this talk about malaria and dengue is scarying me ! im moving nxt week in DR till december and im getting scared about all of this! any prevention or tips?