CANADIAN WOMAN SLAIN AT RESORT IN PUERTO PLATA

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I just heard that Anne-Marie Morin, 49, was discovered in her room at the NUEVO AMENERCER hotel in Puerto Plata. She had taken a one-year leave from her government job in Canada to work at the Hotel. What's going on in Puerto Plata ? I am leaving in three weeks and I am scare. I need more information about that case. Thank you.

M

Melissa

That is NOT good news!! I'm leaving in 5 weeks for Puerto Plata!!! Just hoping the hotel I'm staying will be safe. Is there any worries???

D

DR1

We have compiled for today's daily news briefs what has appeared in the local dailies on the murder.

N

Nadine

For those who can read French, the link below will bring you to the Web site of a Montreal's newspaper. In summary, this article says that the murder is possibly related to a love affair. They also say that everything that was in the hotel's safe was robbed. I don't think that you should be afraid to go to Puerto Plata. I went to Sosua 4 times, and would go back tomorrow morning. Just use common sense as you would when you are home and you should have a great vacation.

A

Anna

After reading the story I'm still not afraid. I was in Sosua for a month on my own and even when I returned late I was never afraid of anyone there. The people are wonderful. Just use good sense. Have a great time. Anna

N

Nadine

Sorry about that! It didn't work... Here is the link. <A HREF="http://www.journaldemontreal.com/Montreal_Actualite/manchette.html">http://www.journaldemontreal.com/Montreal_Actualite/manchette.html</A>

E

ECH

Re: CANADIAN WOMAN MURDER

I just read some info about his tragic incident. But let me comment that strangely enough, the vast majority of homicide victims KNOW their attacker. It is very rare that a stranger kills another stranger unless they feel threatened in the act of robbery or something similar. I have lived in the DR for over seven years and have been the subject of an armed robbery but no violence. That is usually not the Dominican style. Just use the same precautions you would use in any major city and you should be fine. Just because you are on vacation do not throw caution and your good judgment to the wind!

L

lorri

Well I am here right now in PP and have been here for 3 weeks and nothing has happened to me. I was here alone for 1 week. Like everyone says you need to be careful as if you would at home. But we heard here in the DR that she was murdered in Sosua. But that is about all I can say. Don't worry yourselves over something that happened here as it happens every where!!

S

Susanne

Personally, I wouldn't worry. Tragically, murders happen everywhere, even in very peaceful countries, and as stated by one of the other contributors: Most people are murdered by people they know quite well (but obviously not well enough!)

I have just been to PP and found nothing to worry me - apart from the crazy trafic. Apart from that: When a murder hits the front page in national newspapers it is a sign that murder is NOT common. Had murder been a very frequent thing, it would have gotten very little coverage.

So enjoy your trip, be sensible and you will be just fine.

Regards, Susanne

M

Maca (Spain)

Only two words to agree with all people in the forum.. I travelled alone to DR this year, and had no problem. You only should have the same precautions you have in your country...

M

Miko

Well i am glad to hear that my roomate "Lorri" is okay down there i kind of got worried when i heard of the murder and feared for her saftey as well as debs saftey..Hope you guys are okay...i was gonna call down there but i lost the number that sue gave me...oh well if you have the chance call me i haven't heard a thing from you guys...

R

rafael

That kind of incidents happens everywhere, and by the number of tourist who visit my country that incident is almost nothing it can happens in every major city , anyway is only common sense keep out of situation hard to understand

N

nobodys fool

Rafael, as much as people try to trivialize this tragedy, the fact still remains. Its bad publicity for a country that depends on tourism. Do I need to say more?

S

Susanne

I feel offended - I have not tried to trivialize a murder. In response to a very worried person, I have stated that in the best of my opinion and experience the Dominican Republic is not a place where tourists are murdered or attacked frequently.

I don't give a hoot about whether this is good or bad publicity for the Dominican Republic. And nobody has denied facts. To imply that any of us have tried to trivialize a murder to protect the tourism industry is an insult.

Regards, Susanne

S

SPANKY

Re: CANADIAN WOMAN TRAGEDY

I honestly don't think anyone is trying to trivialize this horrible situation. This is an unusual occurrence in the Dominican Republic. While a lot of my Dominican friends tend to be loud and boisterous, in all honesty, they are not prone to violence. There are probably more homicides in L.A. or Chicago or New York in one month than occurs in the entire Dominican Republic in a year but that does not make even one murder trivial. Things like this happen, it is tragic. And they happen every where, even in peaceful villages.

N

nobodys fool

I posted my comment in answer to Rafael posting saying that the murder is almost "nothing" compare to crimes that happens in other big cities in the USA. Now if thats not trivializing, what is?? So why don,t you read his posting, before you jump in my case.

D

denise

It's a sad fact, but murder happens everywhere. Just because one Dominican killed a Canadian woman, does not mean that every Dominican in the country is a murderer. I feel sad for the poor woman and her family, but I would still go back to Sosua. It's a great place. Think of all the murders we hear about here in our own country, its not making us all move away now is it?