On The Waterfront Hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbraska

Sep 18, 2005
I will be traveling to the DR in Jan. This will be my third trip. I will be traveling alone, I did this before. Thanks in great part to all the great info on this site I had a wonderful two trips in Cabarete. I would like to stay in Sousa this time I think I have eaten or at least drank almost everywhere in Cabarete. And although Cabarete and Sosua are very close wanting to see as much as possible while I am there leaves me a bit lazy when I get back to my hotel in the evenings and I don't venture to far.
I belive I may have narrowed my hotel search down to two places. Sousa by the Sea and the Waterfront Hotel. I like would like to be on the water but will not be spending much time in my room during the day as there are so many great tours to take. I realize there is a significant price difference between the two hotels. My main concern is safety and a clean room. I understand that the rooms at Sousa By the Sea are nicer but the views and grounds at the waterfront look like they may make up the difference.
Would appreciate any advice.
Thanks Lisa

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
I'll be staying at the waterfront hotel on the 10th of sept for one week I can let u know afterwards how it is !

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I stayed at Hotel Waterfront in January 2006. Hotel Waterfront is not "on the water". You do not have an ocean view from your room. The rooms are small with shutters instead of glass windows. If the night is cool the room is cold! The rooms do not have a television. If you plan on going out after dark it is a long dark walk to Aluejo Martinez (sp).

The restaurant On The Waterfront is one of the best in Sosua.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To clarify a bit.
Some rooms at Sosua By The Sea have ocean views.
The price reflects the luxury difference.
Both hotels are on the water, in the sense that the property butts up against beach or cliff at the ocean.
There may be a couple of rooms at the Waterfront, on the 2nd floor with some ocean view, but I think it may be blocked by the trees.
The rooms at the Waterfront are basic, SBTS a fair bit more luxurious.
Both are secure and have 24 hour power and water.
The view from the Waterfront pool and restaurant is specatcular.

lbraska

Sep 18, 2005
I really appreciate everyones help. Yes I would very much like to hear from both of you after your trips. Please email me beachbraskan@comcast.net.
Also if someone could tell me if either hotel is within walking distance of Rocky's, as that is a must do on my list this time. The lack of a TV will not be a problem as long as there willl be somewhere in town to see the Super Bowl. Thanks again for everyones continued help.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We stayed two nights at the Waterfront this year and found the rooms to be 'adequate'! The air conditioner was a bit noisy but really cold - we used the overhead fan instead.
The room was clean and the bed comfortable if slightly worn.
The lack of TV didn't bother us as we spent evenings wandering around town and dining at some of the fine establishments like Rocky's and Eddies to name but two. Hung out at the little coffee bar and people watched and generally enjoyed the stay.
Having stayed previously at Sosua Bay-Victorian House (compliments of DR1) I'd have to say if it's luxury you want stay at Sosua by the Bay.
If you just want a safe, clean, inexpensive bed to lay your weary body down by all means stay at the Waterfront Hotel! The restaurant is indeed great!
BTW - We walked everywhere while there and visitied Rocky's several times for meals and internet and info!

Last edited:

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I agree with MommC based on four nights there last year. I believe that their advertised price (in-season) is really too high. We got the room for $30 USD/night and thought it was -- OK. Rocky (of course) is right-on too.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
The only thing I liked about the waterfront was the restaurant with its views. The rooms are overpriced for what they offer. Everything in the general Sosua area is walking distance from Rockys. The waterfront is at the far end of town near the beach. When considering a hotel in Sosua being on the water doesnt mean as much since you can walk to the beach within minutes. If you want to stay ON THE BEACH I would suggest staying in Cabarete. It is a little more expensive but you get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.