Direct Flights Into STI or POP from...

Jan 21, 2006
Hi all.. I need to know airlines or charters with direct flights into Santiago or Puerto Plata (howeve Santiago is highly preferred) departing from one of the following:

Washington DC
Baltimore MD
Richmond VA
Charlotte NC

I have looked and looked and everything is either direct into Punta Cana or has a connection in Miami or New York. A connection is NOT POSSIBLE. It is for a 72 year old woman travelling alone - has never been out of the country before and has a nebulizer and an oxygen tank - it has been hard enough to talk her into making the trip - the stipulation - a direct flight - the airports above are all airports she could fly out of without much hassle.

Jun 5, 2004
Well it is kind of hard to tell you but the best thing that you can do is try to call a travel agency because i believe that it is impossible to get a direct flight unless it was from SDQ.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I don't know of any airlines that fly non-stop or direct* from any of those city combinations that you are looking for.

Your best bet may be to drive to NYC or Newark NJ and catch a non-stop from there.

* I think you might be looking for a non-stop flight. A direct flight, while it will not require a change of plans, will still stop in an interim city.

Jan 21, 2006
Grrrrrr... yes it is a non stop flight I need.

She does not want to travel to NY/NJ because she has nobody to stay with - in the above mentioned cities we have family living.

I know US Airways has a direct flight from Charlotte to Punta Cana but that is really far from Santiago.

What about Santo Domingo... are there any carriers that go direct into Santo Domingo from the above mentioned cities?

Thanks in advance.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I know US Airways has a direct flight from Charlotte to Punta Cana but that is really far from Santiago.

What about Santo Domingo... are there any carriers that go direct into Santo Domingo from the above mentioned cities?
It's 155 km (93 miles) from Santo Domingo to Santiago and 365 km (220 miles) from Punta Cana to Santiago.

Jan 21, 2006
exactly :)

that is why i said sdq. i think she can make the trip comfortably from sdq back home to santiago.... 2 hours is not too bad, same with pop... an hour and a half.... but picking her up from punta cana will take 6-8 hours each way depending on how many times my 72 year old grandmother needs to "stretch" her legs.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I still don't know of any non-stop flights from those cities to Santo Domingo. As Apdomini100max suggest, you might want to check with a Travel Agent. They may know of some charters.

Let us know what you find out.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Wasn't there a mention of a ?Delta? flight to STI from Charlotte?

You might check out "direct" flights Washington STI that go through Miami. They would take excellent care of her..Airline like to do this since it is just great publicity for them...

HB

Note: Try to get a "Y-UP" ticket if possible.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The airports you mention, along with Raleigh, are the airports I fly from to the DR, so I have researched this VERY thoroughly, and I have to tell you that there are no scheduled non-stop commercial flights from any of them to any DR destination other than Punta Cana. I believe the same is true for charters, although I am not as certain.

As the son of a 77 year old mother who has ambulatory and breathing problems, but still wants to travel, I can relate to your dilemma. She hates connecting flights as well, and I as her designated amatuer travel agent, try to avoid them if at all possible. I know this not what you are looking for, but I have found that with proper planning, a connection can be made with a minimum of trauma. You want to be sure there is adequate time that the connection is not rushed, but not so much that the wait becomes an ordeal. An airline customer service person can be waiting at the door to the plane with a wheelchair to take her to the next gate. Of course, if someone able-bodied is traveling with her, they can push, which is perhaps more comfortable/reassuring, but if not, the airlines are fully prepared to provide this service.

As far as I know, the only other choice is to fly into PUJ and have someone drive her to Santiago, possibly stopping for an overnight in the capitol if that's too far to go all at once.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
It seems from your post that cost is not a primary concern, but from the airports you mentioned, Jetblue from RIC to STI with connection in New York JFK would be by far the most economical.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
It seems from your post that cost is not a primary concern, but from the airports you mentioned, Jetblue from RIC to STI with connection in New York JFK would be by far the most economical.

correct..that is what I see also

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Another alternative along the East Coast is taking Amtrak to the Newark Airport Station. Train travel is low stress and you go directly from the train to the airport monorail to all terminals. Travel time Washington, DC to EWR is less than 3 hours.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
It is

Another alternative along the East Coast is taking Amtrak to the Newark Airport Station. Train travel is low stress and you go directly from the train to the airport monorail to all terminals. Travel time Washington, DC to EWR is less than 3 hours.

an alternative, but I suspect arranging for wheelchair etc. would be harder with both Amtrak and the airline to deal with, and from a stamina standpoint would be a longer trip. The flight to New York (any airport) is only an hour. Also, if she is traveling alone, and with bags to check, she would need to handle all that w/o family assistance at EWR.

It seems we're coming up with lot's of possibilities, but I'm afraid none are going to be particularly appealing to our passenger.

I think the OP is going to have to use some "salesmanship" to make this happen.;)

jason1914

Sep 27, 2006
santo domingo to puerto plata

I too am travelling from Charlotte to DR. I need to go to Puerto Plato....is there a charter from santo domingo to puerto plata that is economical?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Unless you have a large group to split the cost, a charter flight from SD to POP is not going to be economical, and there are no scheduled flights.

The standard recommendation here is to get a taxi from the airport to the Caribe Tours bus station (approx. $30) and then take the 4 hour trip to Puerto Plata on a nice bus with AC and movies for about $8.