Sick in the D.R.

Buzz06

Sep 1, 2006
Where does one go to receive public assistance for medical care in Santo Domingo? I have a friend who is very ill and is getting weaker by the day as he has a broken leg and has become anemic because of very poor nutrition. Will they really let a person die in the D.R. if they can't afford to pay for medical care up front?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are public hospitals that offer care to indigent people. Ifhe has a broken leg, I presume it was put in a cast>? Where? There are social workers at hospitals that can provide some help and assistance. However, due to the importance of the Santo Domingo Metro System, money that chould be going to hospitals and schools is going to that hole in the ground.

Anemia is pretty easy to cure. See if your friend can't get some food...

Strange situation...

HB :ermm:

Buzz06

Sep 1, 2006
Thank you HillBilly. A strange situation indeed. A cast, he does have ,but that was with my help and I believe at the time he went to a private clinic. The anemia he has is a result of poor nutrition and food (fruits and veggies) is natural remedy, but not one he can afford at the moment. The issue is that he is not working at the moment b/c of the leg and the infection and I am not in a position to fully support him while he's in this condition. He doesn't have a lot of family, and friends and neighbors have been doing all they can to help out but still not enough to provide all he needs. I will inquire about the public hospitals and the assistance from the social workers. He really needs some help and seemingly doesn't know which way to turn.

Buzz

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
Thank you HillBilly. A strange situation indeed. A cast, he does have ,but that was with my help and I believe at the time he went to a private clinic. The anemia he has is a result of poor nutrition and food (fruits and veggies) is natural remedy, but not one he can afford at the moment. The issue is that he is not working at the moment b/c of the leg and the infection and I am not in a position to fully support him while he's in this condition. He doesn't have a lot of family, and friends and neighbors have been doing all they can to help out but still not enough to provide all he needs. I will inquire about the public hospitals and the assistance from the social workers. He really needs some help and seemingly doesn't know which way to turn.

Buzz

buzz you sound like you are trying to do the right thing, but you might be hurting him and yourself by trying to do this for him. you also don't want to put yourself in a bad position and get taken for a ride. as the previous poster said, there is help for him at the hospital - do not go with him, if they see you they will expect you to pay for his bills and might even deny him help if you don't pay. if you want to help him, put him in a cab and send him to the hospital alone or with a fellow dominican.

as for food, one thing there always is in DR is food. have HIM talk to someone in his neighborhood and perhaps they will agree to separate and extra plate of food for him everyday at a small cost per month (rd$400/per month). I know a lot of people who have this type of arrangement. it works especially well for men who don't have a wife that can cook for them everyday. good luck.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
Speaking of Which...

However, due to the importance of the Santo Domingo Metro System, money that chould be going to hospitals and schools is going to that hole in the ground.

I am so impressed by the giant cement monument that was just finished in San Cristobal that I could spit -- while the roads in and to the city are full of king size potholes that make the roads virtually impassable. I'm still pulling out whatever hair I have left over that one...sorry I just had to vent.:angry:

Buzz06

Sep 1, 2006
Thank you all for your responses. Unfortunately, I am not in the D.R. to personally witness what is really going on, but I trust that my friend is very sick and is in need of some support in order to have reached out to me in the first place. So the suggestion to send him to the hospital on his own has already been done...and I will not be taken for a ride as I've already determined that I've done all I can do and do not intend to continue as that would put my other priorities at risk. He is physically weak, but let's hope his faith remains strong to get him through these difficult times. Thank you again for the suggestions.

Buzz

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
sooooo...you arent in the DR...and your friend is calling you telling you how sick he is? I hate to sound pessimistic here...but is he asking you to send money? If so...then file it away to the sankie forum.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
sooooo...you arent in the DR...and your friend is calling you telling you how sick he is? I hate to sound pessimistic here...but is he asking you to send money? If so...then file it away to the sankie forum.

yep, sounds like another line just to get money. no matter how poor you are in DR, there is always food and there is always medical attention for a broken leg!