Appropriate Gifts for my friend in RD

bandida10

Aug 25, 2006
Hello,

I am sure I am not posting this thread in the appropriate column, but I will appreciate any help you can give me. My fiance and I will be returning to Puerto Plata on the 9th of September for vacation and to visit. ( We were there in March and became friends with some Dominicanos). Anyway, I am writing to ask what an appropriate gift would be for our friends mother. Last time we were there she invited us into her home, made us dinner & coffee, and would not accept anything. We want to ake her a small gift this time, but are having problems finding something appropriate. We don't want to offend her by giving her something she can't use. Please help!
Thank you!

bandida10

Aug 25, 2006
Thank You

Oh I didn't even think of taking her out for dinner. I was only focusing on something I could bring with me from Canada. Thanks!
Other options still welcome, just in case...
She has a very low standard of living. They are extremely poor. One friend suggested clothing but it is starting to be fall here now, so anything I could find would certainly be too hot for the RD climate. Would something for the house be offensive? Also, when we were there she was showing us photos of her family, but didn't have a photo album, would it be offensive to give her a photo album or frame?

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Oh I didn't even think of taking her out for dinner. I was only focusing on something I could bring with me from Canada. Thanks!
Other options still welcome, just in case...
She has a very low standard of living. They are extremely poor. One friend suggested clothing but it is starting to be fall here now, so anything I could find would certainly be too hot for the RD climate. Would something for the house be offensive? Also, when we were there she was showing us photos of her family, but didn't have a photo album, would it be offensive to give her a photo album or frame?

My mother in law would not be offended, they have so little they would welcome any gift its the thought that counts did you see the post above !coffee pot

bandida10

Aug 25, 2006
I did, I am now busy looking at Coffee Pots online. Thank you.
Maybe this is a silly question, but I don't really cook, so where would I find a bag of rice? Would it be better to purchase it there? The only rice I know of is Minute Rice, and I don't think that would go over very well...
Thanks so much for your suggestions!

bandida10

Aug 25, 2006
I forgot to ask, what about candles & candle holders? I know they have alot of blackouts, but I was also told taht candles are very inexpensive in RD..????

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I don't think

you cant go wrong with chocolates. Always has worked with me. Easy to buy in your country and easy to pack and travel.

PS--or you could buy in duty free (going or arriving)

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
oh my goodness people, bandida here are a few things that would be very practical and she would be grateful for
towels
bed sheets
tshirts
kitchenware - coffee cups and the coffee maker is a great idea - pots also
clothing is acceptable
if they are very poor when u get there groceries would be acceptable also.
the photo album is also a good idea.

hope this helps

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Chocolate is a real treat and not easy to get in the DR.

All suggestions are good but please DO NOT take minute rice. It's got to the the most tasteless fake rice I've ever tried and they are used to real rice ;)

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Cooking 101

I did, I am now busy looking at Coffee Pots online. Thank you.
Maybe this is a silly question, but I don't really cook, so where would I find a bag of rice? Would it be better to purchase it there? The only rice I know of is Minute Rice, and I don't think that would go over very well...
Thanks so much for your suggestions!

I think the photo album is nice thoughtful gift especially if you have some photos to add to it from your first visit. If not, take some photos this time. I like the coffee pot suggestion since it's linked to her hospitality.

You could ask her to teach you how to prepare a meal. Shop with her and pay for the groceries. She'll have the opportunity to give you something priceless in return. A box of Minute Rice that you prepare as a side dish could give her a funny story to tell everyone for years to come!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Bandida:I'm going to side with M.A.R.

those are the things to think about. Sheets, towels, pillows are expensive and generally speaking of low quality here. Fact.

Things like coffee cups are a dime a dozen here. so are coffee makers (Grekas)

Chocolate is a fun thing and always welcome (M&Ms; Milky Ways, Butterfingers--in those nugget sizes so they go farther--everyone gets something.)

If you have the weight a good skillet is always appreciated and most useful.
A good one here can cost 35 US$++ or more~!

HB

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Bandida, your idea of a photo album is a good one. If you REALLY want to make it a special gift, then when you come down , then also take individual photos of everyone in the family, and of every couple, and then take them to a photo developer and get them printed out in 4" x 6" or larger. Make a few copies of the important ones, like Mom and Dad. Then give them to the family.

Poor dominicans treasure photos, and rarely have a chance to get more. I have seen poor families with the most recent photo of Dad when he was 20 years old.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Sheets -

I have found that even 300 thread count cotton sheets are cheaper (or the same price) as in the States so I would not bother. What might be great is to get something that is hard to find here - like for instance a radio that has a hand crank for electricity black outs, or a flashlight that plugs into the wall and gets charged. There are little headlamps for walking about in the dark on sale at Walmart's for about $5. A circle of needles, and embroidery thread is a treasure - but mostly to my Haitian friends who sew. Pen knives - and nail care kits - wow- I had one that was in a box and cost me about $10---- it was a treasure.....
Let me see, I am just trying to think of all the things that I had which got stolen first!!

but you can get a coffee pot on any corner down here so it isn't such a spectacluar gift....
annie