does my friend need car insurance

dcindr2

Jan 20, 2006
Hi first time posting. My friend just bought a 2000 Toyota Camary. He refuses to Get Full Insurance. HE BOUGHT A multilock but says he hates full insurance. What do you good people think???

Last edited:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I assume by "full insurance" you mean collision, theft and comprehensive coverage in addition to liability. If there is no lien on the vehicle, these are a personal choice, weighing the cost of the premium against potential repair or replacement costs. Of course everyone should have liability coverage to guard against the possibility of financial ruin if an accident leads to a serious injury or death.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Makes me wonder...

To get the revista sticker one has to supposedly present the insurance along with other papers. Now in SD I notice revista stickers on say 60 to 80% of cars (my estimate). I see cars without any stickers all the time regardless of status, could be a beaten up car or fairly high end jeepeta.

What I wonder then is if it can be assumed that all people with revista stickers do indeed have insurance (even if minimal). That would seem like a pretty high number of insured vehicles for a country like DR. From my gut feeling I would rather assume that only mid to high income people afford insurance no?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The basic insurance is required on all cars! It is not that expensive but covers only the basics. Getting full insurance is a personal decision and should be based on - 1. whether you can afford it, 2. whether you can afford to go without a car if something happens! Full insurance tends to be expensive because of the high number of "hit and runs" that occur here.

Many people without full insurance will leave the scene of an accident if they are at fault.

Supposedly you cannot get the Revista without proof of insurance. Revista is required on all cars.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I suspect the people who leave the scene of accidents are the ones who are driving illegally with no insurance at all. The insurance which protects against liability for damage or injuries to another party is the "basic" insurance which is required, although I wonder if the required coverage limits are really adequate. No reason to flee an accident just because your insurance won't pay for damage to your own vehicle.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Whatever Insurance plan you choose make sure that it includes the use of a hotel run by the Insurance companies to avoid staying in jail. This is basically a ?Get out of Jail? card. It only costs about 1,000RD per year, but with this if you are in an accident with serious injuries to someone you can go to a special hotel where there are Insurance Reps from your company to help you Without this you WILL go straight to jail, regardless of your coverage.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, I also happen to know that person.
He bought a nice new looking car, camry LE 2000. The full insurance on the car is between 26k to 32K pesos. I must say, thats alot of dough for a 6 yr old car.
Anyway, the person in question got himself an insurance that would cover the other person's property damage to 500K and physical injury till 1 million. This pretty much covers the other party but doesn't cover the person's own car.
Anyway, the person is question has installed multi-lock to lock the transmision shaft and an alarm.
The car is usually locked in the garage because the guy has another beat up car that he uses for work due to lack of parking near his office. The camry is only taken out in the evenings and weekends, the old car is the one which is working like a mule as always.
So I think the person was right in not taking out full insurance. I mean, it will be very difficult for an average tigre to cut through a mul-t-lock and alarm to steal a camry. Might as well steal a mercedes for that effort.
AZB

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Your "friend"

sounds like a smart guy AZB.:glasses:

How much did he pay for the basic insurance?

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
you should have it but NO you don't need it. chances are they won't pay a claim anyway - save your money.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I mean, it will be very difficult for an average tigre to cut through a mul-t-lock and alarm to steal a camry. Might as well steal a mercedes for that effort.
AZB

Much easier to cut through the steering wheel instead....

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
That is how they do it, and depending on the car it may not be too hard, but it is still an effective theft deterrent, if only for the fact that most thieves are lazy, and when confronted with any anti theft device, will look for a car without one. I don't know about the DR, but in the US a high percentage of cars stolen are unlocked, and have the keys in them.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i think you guys don't know what mul-t-lock system is all about. Its not a steering lock.
It goes on the shaft of gear change. It locks the car in parking gear. Not too easy to cut through the gear shaft of trashmission stick.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
And what happens when he runs a red light and Tbones another car?

Throw away the Camry?

what if he dies in the accident, who needs the camry or the insurance then?
We all have to take risks I guess.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You got a point there. Let me cancel the insurance I got now.
AZB