Medical Insurance

caro

Sep 24, 2003
hi everybody ,

I need some advice about medical insurance. I come live for a long stay in puerto plata . I am a woman of 27 year old and dont have any kind of problem of health. I come from of canada.

what is better for me? taking a insurance like blue cross for the first 6 month ( I can t buy for much longer here) and after buy a insurance in DR or buy one only in dr ?

blue cross will cost me 368$ canadian for 6 month.

I have read all thread about medical insurance but I still don t know what is better to do. I have see many time the name of ARS palic salud for insurance . someone know how much is it for a full coverage ?

it s the last thing I have to look before I come in 3 week

thank a lot

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I just got a quote for private health coverage for a female, slightly older then you (LOL) the quote is approximately 1,100 pesos per month or about $40 canadian. It is good full coverage but will NOT pay to send you back to Canada in case of a huge problem. Make sure yourBlue Cross has good coverage out of country for the whole period.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
thank again planner lolll

here it s what blue cross give me for 368$ canadian and 6 month :Benefits will be paid for expenses incurred following an emergency resulting from an accident or sudden illness which occurs on a trip during the coverage period to a maximum of $5,000,000, and provided that these charges are not incurred before obtaining the approval of CanAssistance.

Eligible costs are limited to what is declared necessary for the stabilization of the medical condition.

Eligible Expenses include:

- hospital accommodation and related incidental expenses
- doctor's bills
- medical appliances such as canes, crutches and wheelchairs etc.
- private registered nurse
- laboratory tests and x-rays
- emergency prescription drugs
- accidental dental care
- ambulance service including air ambulance
- emergency flight back to Canada if medically necessary
- transportation of family to visit covered person
- emergency vehicle return
- return of the pet
- subsistence allowance
- 24-hour emergency assistance
- repatriation services
- medical follow-up in Canada
- baggage return

but this is what I really need ??? that good when you go for a holiday but when you are there for a living maybe I don t really need all that or it s not the better option to cover me...

if I may ask ... what do you have like insurance? if you want answer me by PM and if you can give me the information about the compagny who give you a quote for your friend .

Last edited:

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
I would say the Humano is the best currently, the Max Plan is good and the Platinum the best with all hospitals full covered, even privat clinics like Abel Gonzalez in SDQ and Hospiten in Bavaro, cost about RD$ 60.000 a year.

scsccs34

Apr 24, 2006
I had humano last year with odontology included, I went to the odontology clinic and they give me a "discount" , later when a friend went to the same clinic without any insurance, he paid the same. I felt scamed.

now I switched to popular (universal), a friend recommended it , its cheaper , only for me around 8000 pesos yearly, will see.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It is the company's decision and not yours as to when a medical evacuation is necessary.

Yes this is true. So what you do is to make sure you 'know' a doctor who does these assessments for the insurance company in the country of origin AND have a friendly doctor here to talk to the insurance company doctor. Get all this in place before you need medical evacuation. Damage control......;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I had a business that catered to med-evac/air ambulance customers.

To get flown out of the DR to pretty much anywhere to the US or Canada will cost a minimum of $10,000-15,000 US. And they will be wanting certified funds before the wheels leave the ground from where they come from.

Be careful.

However, there are enough really fine clinics in the DR that it may not be necessary, unless your insurance won't cover it in country.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
I had humano last year with odontology included, I went to the odontology clinic and they give me a "discount" , later when a friend went to the same clinic without any insurance, he paid the same. I felt scamed.

now I switched to popular (universal), a friend recommended it , its cheaper , only for me around 8000 pesos yearly, will see.

I think is depend on the plan, I never paid anything anywhere ... at least not here in SDQ.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
thank everybody ....

like I said in my post 3 i don t think is the better insurance for someone who go living in other country but more for someone who go for a holiday .

many people write about the medical evacuation clause but like I said I come for living there so if I have some health problem I want to solve them in DR.

what other people do for medical insurance when they move to DR for the first few week ? they take some travel insurance at home or come in dr and look at that when they are there?

because the travel insurance like the one I talk in post 3 is not really good for day to day life .

sorry about all this question but I am really in the unknown about medical insurance and I want to be sure to be cover if something happen to me ...

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Be advised that Dominican Insurance companies and agents are typical of other Dominican Businesses. Everything moves slowly. From the time you submit an application for insurance until the time they issue a policy can take a period of time. Don't expect them to get it right on the first attempt either. Therefore, don't expect to walk into an insurance agency here and be covered immediately. You may want to come with a travel policy initially.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
You may want to come with a travel policy initially.

thank you for your advice ...

for how long you suggest to take a travel insurance ? 1,2,3... month ? I can buy here a insurance up to 6 month.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
thank you for your advice ...

for how long you suggest to take a travel insurance ? 1,2,3... month ? I can buy here a insurance up to 6 month.

You should be able to get covered in a month by a Dominican policy, so figure two months to be safe.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
good so I think with your answer I will take a 3 month travel insurance just in case I don t have the time to look at this in the first week i am there ...

do you have suggestion about medical insurance for a woman of 27 ?

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I have been studying medical plans extensively. When a plan includes the possibilty of a medical evacuation to your home country, it is rarely applied by the insurance company. It is what I call a "feel good" clause. While you are healthy, you feel good.

They will see that you are in the DR, where there are clinics and hospitals in Santiago or Santo Domingo that can most likely handle your problem and the company will require you to go there. It is the company's decision and not yours as to when a medical evacuation is necessary. I received this information recently after talking to a broker in the US who represents a wide range of international health plans. He was honest with me about this detail. This was an eye-opener to me and should be a buyer-beware sign for all. There are two chances that you can get medically evacutated "back home" and those are slim and none.

Regarding getting local insurance here in the DR. There are a number of decent plans if you are a Resident here. My family and I use ARS Palic. I don't know if they work for someone that is just a visitor, but I think not. Someone else can advise the OP on that.

Hi WindeGuy,

How much do you pay for the Palik insurance? Basic plan. I hear a lot of different amounts. From 540 to 1500 a month...