best waterfalls and rios in dr

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
can anyone tell me where are the best waterfalls and rios in the dr with directions from santiago, i have been to salto jimenoa in jarabacoa its pretty easy to get to but i have seen even more beautiful places in books and on tv i would like to know how to get there , hillbilly, AZB anyone else know. thank you.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
There are 3 other waterfalls in the Jarabacoa area. Salto Baguaite is also easily accessable. The upper Salto Jimenoa is not, requiring a difficult hike up some very steep "trails". Supposedly worth it. These are the falls which were used for one of the scenes in Jurrasic Park. The name of the other falls escapes me, but it is also a hike to reach.

10k south of Constanza is Aguas Blancas, which is in total the highest, but is in 3 sections. The road to get there is rough, and a 4wd is recommended.

East of Las Terrenas is El Limon waterfall. It is accessed by about a 30 minute horseback ride, followed by a steep, but doable hike. I've been to all but the 2 isolated falls in Jarabacoa, which my old bones would never make it to.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Damajagua is always worth the effort. There are some falls up near Santiago Rodríguez and others near Monción and still others near San josé de las Matas. However, you need to ask the locals how to get to them..

Maybe you could organize a waterfall expedition and report back here whatever you found??

HB

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
I could take you to a "secret set" of waterfalls....

......but you would have to go up blindfolded since I know once folks were to rediscover them I would not have the total privacy that I now enjoy when I go see them. Absolutely an eco-tourists dream........

The only other way for you to get to see them is if you can beat HB's son Marcos in golf at the Santiago course. If you can, I will take you up and your guests......

Best, Dave

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
ahh im done cause i tried miniature golf one time lets just say i wont be going to that waterfall then.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mr C has some photos on waterfalls of his flickr site. Some have been mentioned here. Off the main tourist trail, Comatillo in Bayaguana, looks spectacular.