Hand Guns ? Help Needed!

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
I' am American living permanently [at least up to now] on the North Coast; I'm in the process of purchsing legally a hand gun, which I plan to carry with me, in my jeepeta or my home, but not on my person.
* This is 1 of many subjects of which I know nearly nothing.
* Suggestions? Caliber of gun? Advangtages of each? Better manufacturers of pistols? Reliable sources of hand guns? Resources? Practice ranges? If any?
* Ammuntion? Sources? Expenses? Maintenance?
* Experiences: positive & negative? All comments & suggestions gratefully accepted. Thank you.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
This subject has been discussed in detail on this Message Board. Suggest you do a search, then get down to specifics not found. Thanks for your time. Canadian Bob.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Don't buy a sissy pistol....Get a GLOCK 9mm.. 15 round mag you can drop this baby in the water for a couple days and it will still work,.Roll it around in the sand and it will still fire..Cost is $2,500 USD....The rest of your answers you can just ask in any gun store..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Zak,

Believe it or not the price for a Glock is now 3,000 US or more, including the license. It is the best gun though. I have a Glock 26 and love it.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Little Birdy tells me ...

Allegedly, the gov. are cracking down on the import of bullets. They are getting rare and expensive. Soon you'll have to turn the gun around the other way and bash people over the head with the blunt end.

For your licence, among things like psycho-analysis, you will also need to do a urine test that involves "going" in front of someone while they watch. You should practice this first to avoid embarrassment later.:ermm:

Volunteer "watchers" can often be found gathered around the poker table at Rockys on a Tuesday night.;)

Playero

Aug 24, 2006
Hs 2000

I bought a HS 2000 a couple a months ago and I am very satisfied with it. Just make sure you buy enough ammo as you buy the gun. If they keep up the import restrictions there`s gonna be quite a shortage soon.
And of course, there`s nothing like a Glock!

Jan 5, 2006
I prefer Sig Sauer over the Glocks, but that's just a personal opinion. You are not legally allowed to posses anything larger than a 9mm caliber, so right now that is the best choice.

Get yourself to a gun shop and try the different models to see what feels more comfortable in your hand. Also make sure that you are well trained in the use of your new firearm. You need to be competent in usage in real life situations, like an attacker trying to take it away from you, and not just be good at shooting through a standing target 25 or 50 feet away.

Right now, there is a government ban on the import of firearms and ammunition into the country, so both will become less available and more expensive as time passes.

G

gary short

Very very good points HM. If you arm yourself you should realize that a trained and or motivated assailant can disarm you if they're within a 10 ft radius. That considered are you prepared mentally and physically to shoot????
Always aiming for the gut of course.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
as a former firearms instructor in the Army, be sure you are ready for a semi-automatic. most people when confronted with a situation forget to take the safety off or never clean the weapon and it jams. hopefully you won't need 15 rounds for an attacker and you won't shoot up your house trying to hit an attacker in the dark. i would suggest a revolver like a Colt .357. personally, i'm a Beretta man. -

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Wow!! Why not just skip the gun thing and let them take your money/laptop/digital camera etc. They are after your belongings, not your health.
Either being hurt by an intruder or killing an intruder would be a hard thing to deal with mentally.
I'm starting to second guess buying the villa in Cabarete after reading about that murder in Sosua and how common it is for people having guns.
Remember, I am Canadian.....EH!
Steve:ermm:

May 12, 2005
As mentioned if you buy a handgun, be proficient and practice. If a semi-auto, be sure to clean and oil your gun regularly, or it will jam on you at the worst possible time. Also practice clearing malfunctioins and jams. A .357 revolver would be a good choice. No jamming troubles and good stopping power. If for home defense, there's only 1 choice, a shot gun. The mere sound of "racking" a round into the chamber should stop most burglars and perps in their tracks.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Buy a "Shotgun"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Better protection than a "Pistol"! Scares Dominicans! You can't "MISS"! You can teach your wife to use it!(If you dare!):rolleyes: :D
You won't kill your kids or a neighbor if you miss(Pellets won't go through the wall or next door!)
Most novices to firearms can't hit the side of a barn from inside when faced with a lethal situation if they have a handgun.A "Scatter Gun" is a different story."Point and Shoot! Even if you miss,they run!
cccccccccccccccc

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Better protection than a "Pistol"! Scares Dominicans! You can't "MISS"! You can teach your wife to use it!(If you dare!):rolleyes: :D
You won't kill your kids or a neighbor if you miss(Pellets won't go through the wall or next door!)
Most novices to firearms can't hit the side of a barn from inside when faced with a lethal situation if they have a handgun.A "Scatter Gun" is a different story."Point and Shoot! Even if you miss,they run!
cccccccccccccccc
Good point.

I have a sawed off buttless 16ga. in the nightstand.

I just have to know where the nsound is coming from.

A small neutron weapon might work, too.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Wow!! Why not just skip the gun thing and let them take your money/laptop/digital camera etc. They are after your belongings, not your health.
Either being hurt by an intruder or killing an intruder would be a hard thing to deal with mentally.
This attitude emboldens bad guys. You think bad guys would go after a place they know the owner has firepower?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Two birds with one stone!

If you want a 9mm that you can carry in your vehicle and the home without worrying about ammunition, is the Ruger PC9(Police Carbine) and the Ruger P-Series 9mm. You can leave the PC9 in the house with the wife and carry the pistol with you in the car. A good thing about the Rugers is that they carry the same clip to interchange between both. Just an idea, preferrably for the home, a newbie can't go wrong with a shotgun.
"If you are found here tonight, you will be found here tomorrow."

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i was gonna mention shotguns but i didn't know whether they are available in the DR.

you're right nothing like the sound of a Mossberg chambering a round....

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Yes this is Power

A REMINGTON MODEL 870 MARINE MAGNUM is good for this environment.
http://www.gunshopfinder.com/remington/remMarineMagnum.asp
Buckshot 00 also helps...

m'frog

I agree on this shotgun..3" magnum shells in 00 buck WILL go through the door unless it's steel of course....You are allowed to posess One Pistol and One Shotgun...So get the glock as your handgun and this baby here for you shotgun..As Sky stated the prices have gone up so figure $4,500+..USD for both..That's the way I would go...This is going to get a little expensive if your arming yourself to protect you and your family/money ect.

You have to buy lots of ammo at first since you [the OP] stated that you don't know dink about guns..So you will have to practice alot..How can you shoot someone until you have felt the power of a gun..When you have to use it someday{ and I hope you don't} you better not HESITATE after you have pointed at someone....Kill or Be KILLED.....Thats what it comes down to..

Good Luck