Need advice for forthcoming visit

Bangkokboy

Sep 5, 2006
This is my first post here so please excuse if it's in the wrong place and by all means move it.

I have a work tasking that should put me at Samana airport for about 1 month. This is expected to start sometime in October. I no nothing about the place and am looking for input to get myself up the learning curve before landing. From what I have read it seems the country has some similarities, and many differences from the place I call home these days, Bangkok, Thailand.

The sort of stuff I am interested to know about is:

Accomodation, where? It will be company funded so I'm looking for some comfort.
Transport, how? Can I drive myself? I'm quite used to driving in Asian countries, minimal rules etc.
Downtime, what? Work will occupy the days, but what about the nights? I have no problem in taking sand to the beach, any one of my 'consultants' here would be happy to join the trip. Is this my best bet for maintaining my personal comfort level?
Other, what else do I need to know or think about?

Many thanks for any replies.

M.

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
I'm quite used to driving in Asian countries, minimal rules etc.

I spent 4 months in Thailand, driving a motorcycle most of the time, and the biggest difference I've noticed between Dominican Style driving and Thai driving is the lack of smooth movements in the Dominican Republic. Thailand style is reasonably smooth with no sudden movements, while in the D.R. there is a lot more swerving and quick movements.

Likely attributable to road conditions though, as the roads seem worse in the D.R. than they are in the urban areas in Thailand like I was accustomed to.

The closest Asian country I'd compare the driving to would be with Burma/Mynamar.

I'm by no means an expert on D.R. roads though, as in my older age, my love of life outweighs my love of adventure.. If you're fully comfortable driving in SE Asia, you'll probably get the hang of the D.R. real fast without too much bother.

Bangkokboy

Sep 5, 2006
Thanks CT, good points,

Sounds like the driving style is more like Thai up country where the guys get blitzed on Kao lai and go for a burn. A sort of bizarre population control! Last one I saw like that the guy nearly front ended a good friend who requested somebody else to go get the local cop. Turns out the other driver was the local cop!

Really starting to think I might wanna take a 'consultant' seems like I might earn more long term and maybe way safer than messin local.

Accom is looking like the stumbler as of now. Lots of places but none I recognise. Are there regular hotels? Sheraton, Hyatt, Holiday Inn, Regent, Oriental etc etc?

Cheers
M

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
The job sounds like it will really SUCK! My suggestion would be to turn the job down.

P.S. After you tell them you're not going, you could email me the address where I could apply. ;) ;) ;)

In all seriousness, use the search function to refine your questions as many of them have be already been answered.