transportation from Santiago to Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehappy

Sep 4, 2006
Hello...

I am a first-time "threader" and am not sure that I am doing this right, but here goes...

My wife and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary and will be visiting in November for the first time. I have a few questions:
1. what is the best way to travel from the airport in Santiago to Sosua by the Sea? (Caribe Tours vs. taxi)
2. approximately how long will this take and how much can I expect to pay?
3. do I need to make reservations if I choose to use Caribe Tours or can I just pick it up at the airport?

Thanks for the help.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Send an e mail to Roccio Valerio and her husband JJ will whisk you worry free from STI to Sosua NON stop for a reasonable cost with an English speaking driver. It is not worth the headache to take a cab to a bus and another cab.

palomalinda0890@hotmail.com

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Do what Tamborista has suggested. There is no better service and Rocío is excellent at getting things done right.

She just left here with two very happy young people...this is one very good service.

HB

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Rocio and JJ

There is no way to express how helpful Rocio and JJ are. Together they completely care for you. Hillbilly arranged for my wife and me to have JJ for a week in June. He began as a driver and he and Rocio are now friends. JJ knows about everything and his english is almost perfect (Rocio's is perfect). He showed us parts of the DR that we would never have found if we had rented a car. JJ is probably one of a very few Dominican taxi drivers who does not drink at all. He is reasonably priced (very comparable to renting a car with insurance) and has a large van that is perfectly maintained. You are completely safe and comfortable at all times.

thehappy

Sep 4, 2006
Wow...quite the endorsements...about how much will it cost me and how do I get in touch with these folks?

P.S. Is your response, therefore, a condemnation of the tour bus method ??

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Contact Rocio for cost at the link above. I booked JJ for a weekly rate.
No, I do not condem the tour bus method. I have used both Metro and Caribe Tours and they are very good.
I recommend JJ as an excellent service provider.
When you get JJ ask that you travel through Moca to go to Sosua. The mountain views are outstanding.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Santiago to Sosua Caribe Tour bus trip is not too bad with A/C, about 1.5 hour or so (stops once at POP terminal - or twice if you board at Santiago other terminal, there are two - watch your suitcase there, they tend to grow legs I hear). Can't remember but it's quite cheap (in RD$100-200 range).

You can turn up at the terminal and buy a ticket there, here is their site http://www.caribetours.com.do check the timetable.

I think a taxi is about US$70 or so, it depends...

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Uzin...

the Caribe Tour site is in Spanish...can't read Spanish...???

Thanks anyway.

Listen to HB and Tamorista, you would want your first time vacation in the DR stress free and you will have plenty of questions on your way up there and a tour guide you can trust and communicate with is valuable, trust me on this one.

Ricardo

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I figure you will save a mere $30USD by taking a cab to a bus to a cab!
Don't forget the possibility of being ripped off multiplied by 3.
IMHO, my safety is worth more than that and would rather be 100% safe with JJ watching my wife and I plus luggage.

If you have the need for adventure, take a gua gua the next day without your luggage to Puerto Plata.

I wish you luck!

thehappy

Sep 4, 2006
Tamborista...

Sorry, but I was unclear how to get in touch with JJ and Rocio to make arrangements for our upcoming visit...would you please send along an e-mail or telephone # for me to do so...

Thanks
thehappy

Goody

Oct 6, 2007
Santiago to Sosua

I have been to the DR many times but always fly into POP. They have made it nearly impossible to get there now from where I live. So, I have decided to try flying into Santiago and driving over. Anyone take the trip before? Is it easy to find the way in a rental car? Or should I rent a taxi? Anyone know the cost of a taxi?

2nice

May 2, 2011
I hear it is a 2 hour ride and a 100.00 cab fare. I will be looking into this in another 2 weeks so I guess you could say .... BUMP

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We always ask people who have not lived here a while not to drive. The issues are complicated by antiquated and draconian laws and persons who have never, ever been taught how they are supposed to drive, driving on these roads.
That said, if you get here during the day, take a taxi to either Caribe Tour or Metro (Caribe Tours has more buses to Sos?a) and pay a couple of hundred pesos to get to the North Coast.

If you insist on driving, the route is described extensively here on DR1. Look for Airport to Sos?a or Airport to Cabarete...

If you PM JJ (Bachata here on DR1) he can give you the name and number of a good reliable driver who would take you to the North Shore in a nice a/c car.

Status
Not open for further replies.