first visit to DR...need help

deebin

Sep 7, 2006
I am looking for budget accomodations in Santo Domingo and Sosua.

I came across Charley Hostel in the Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo. Is the Zona Colonial a safe place to stay? Anyone know of this hostel and as to its cleanliness, etc.

I am planning to rent a car and drive the island. I would appreciate suggestions on must see locations and sights to photograph. Places to avoid are also just as valuable.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FYI: Fender benders require an all day visit to the police so statements can be taken. Anyone slightly injured requires driver to go to jail until bail is arranged.

Think about using public transportation which is cheap, safe and comfortable.

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I came across Charley Hostel in the Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo. Is the Zona Colonial a safe place to stay? Anyone know of this hostel and as to its cleanliness, etc.
I haven't seen it first hand but the area it is located is less safe than other parts of the Colonial Zone. It's (according to someone who has seen it) very basic indeed.
The small hotels on Calle Danae in Gazcue are a better bet. This is walking distance from the Colonial Zone, though the route is not so safe late at night.

sallad

Sep 15, 2006
will be in the DR next june as a volunteer working with young people, is it better to use public transport or get my own

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
don't drive here

if you haven't read enough of this forum to figure it out, renting a car to drive here is just not a good idea for anyone. public transportation on buses is by far more comfortable and safer (and cheaper with gas prices so high). guaguas (public mini vans) are an experience everyone should have, motos are not for the faint of heart (or those wishing to keep their heads intact).

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Take the others' advice and try public transit - you'll make more friends and improve your Spanish that way...I found the neatest places just chatting with locals...a much less stressful experience.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
totaly agree with everyone here. I have been traveling to DR for 7 years...wont even THINK about driving. #1 the drivers are crazy as hell...#2 you have to think about being pulled over and bribing AMAT (the police that patrol the highways etc). and if you are in an accident...you will have big problems sorting it all out.

If you are starting off in Santo Domingo...there are very good guaguas to get you around the south coast. And then there are official busses that can take you up north to sosua.

Now-a-days i have made some friends there that drive me all around...when they have time...but other than that..its strictly public trans for me