Jobs in the DR

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
I am graduating from university in June as well as getting my TESOL certificate that would allow me to teach English and I wanted to get a job in the DR. Please keep in mind that I have my mind set on Santiago, as I notice this site focuses on Santo Domingo for certain things. I had a few questions that I hope someone can answer:

1) Would I be paid in pesos or in my own dollar (CDN)?
2) What is the salary of a native teacher for English coming from abroad?
3) Is there room and board provided?
4) Would I be allowed to teach in universities even though I do not have my degree in Education (it's in Sociology)?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Mi negra chula!!"
IF you intend on coming to Santiago, try this:
1) Schedule a trip during Spring Break for the express purpose of meeting the world famous HB and looking at five or six language institutes, as well as the university that might hire you.
2) With that TESOL certificate there are lots of places that can place you but understand that the salary will be in DR pesos. Your only exception is possibly the Santiago Christian School that teaches everything in English and sometimes has a TESOL teacher for those Dominican students that need to brush up on their English. If they were to hire you from overseas, then the pay would be in dollars.
3) TESOL is hard work, and as I told Bellisima21,not all that well paid, but you can work and make enough to keep mind and body together.

4) A stern warning: It will be rather difficult for you to come down here after graduation and create the contacts needed to get the jobs, since many schools will have their teachers alllined up. It can happen but you are doubling the negatives. Get here early..

I do wish you good luck. Feel free to PM me is you need more info.
For Santo Domingo info you might want to ask "dolores" , s she often posts about teaching jobs in the capitol.

HB
and I forgot: JOB FAIRS.....Look for DR jobs at the teacher job fairs that go on from now through March or April.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I am graduating from university in June as well as getting my TESOL certificate that would allow me to teach English and I wanted to get a job in the DR. Please keep in mind that I have my mind set on Santiago, as I notice this site focuses on Santo Domingo for certain things. I had a few questions that I hope someone can answer:

1) Would I be paid in pesos or in my own dollar (CDN)?
2) What is the salary of a native teacher for English coming from abroad?
3) Is there room and board provided?
4) Would I be allowed to teach in universities even though I do not have my degree in Education (it's in Sociology)?

My tip: NETWORK!

Meet as many people as you possibly can. Starting with such members as Hillbilly is a good start.

Most jobs are acquired through connections, so knowing many people increases the chances that someone knows someone who knows someone who is looking for such and such position to be filled.

Good luck!

-NALs

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
"Mi negra chula!!"
1) Schedule a trip during Spring Break for the express purpose of meeting the world famous HB and looking at five or six language institutes, as well as the university that might hire you.
2) With that TESOL certificate there are lots of places that can place you but understand that the salary will be in DR pesos. Your only exception is possibly the Santiago Christian School that teaches everything in English and sometimes has a TESOL teacher for those Dominican students that need to brush up on their English. If they were to hire you from overseas, then the pay would be in dollars.
3) TESOL is hard work, and as I told Bellisima21,not all that well paid, but you can work and make enough to keep mind and body together.

4) A stern warning: It will be rather difficult for you to come down here after graduation and create the contacts needed to get the jobs, since many schools will have their teachers alllined up. It can happen but you are doubling the negatives. Get here early..

For Santo Domingo info you might want to ask "dolores" , s she often posts about teaching jobs in the capitol.

HB
and I forgot: JOB FAIRS.....Look for DR jobs at the teacher job fairs that go on from now through March or April.

I think youve mistaken me with morena21 who started this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53839
its ok lol

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
"Mi negra chula!!"

HB

Just a question, would I not be able to secure a job while I went there in February during my spring break? If I went before June, like in April, would there be a good chance of me getting a job?

By the way, thanks for your quick replies!!

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Why the DR?
Why Santiago only?

m'frog

Ummm, I like Santiago, as Santo Domingo is not a place I like. And I think I could find a better paying job in Santiago than a smaller town. And I don't know about you, but I have to pay for law school when I come back to Canada and that costs about $20,000 CDN a year. And excuse me for being a human being and noticing an attractive person. I guess women aren't allowed to express they're opinion all of a sudden. I guess I'll just go home to churn my butter instead of being an outspoken woman who can say what she wants in an OPEN forum. I mean, you have your opinion of me (even though you don't know me) and have the right to respond to my post, but I have a right to seriously respond to your pointless comments.

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Well, I have not made up my opinion about you (yet).

Your choice for Santiago just made sense to me after I had read your post.
Maybe you should not assume so much... :bunny:

m'frog

Oh yes, that's it, I'm assuming. After about 3 of your sarcastic, stupid posts, I'm not assuming

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Should have 'works well with others and handles conflicts well' on the resume I hope....

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Just a question, would I not be able to secure a job while I went there in February during my spring break? If I went before June, like in April, would there be a good chance of me getting a job?

By the way, thanks for your quick replies!!

While I haven't ever noticed Santiago Christian School to be at any of the hiring fairs the other schools that utilize the fairs to hire teachers are usually attending the ISS or Search fairs in February in the States. I think there is also a fair in Canada right before in late January or early Feb. (at Queens, I believe)

The Lincoln school in La Romana (owned by Central Romana) attends the job fair in London or one of the other fairs in the UK for its teachers.

Most of these schools will pay you in both USD and pesos, for example a 40% of salary in USD and 60% in pesos.

Even on a foreign hire salary it is difficult to live well and save any significant amount of money. This is esp. true for a family. We taught in the DR for nine years and the savings potential (we had a forgeign hire contracts) was a major factor in our leaving the island to teach in another overseas school.

Good luck in finding a job that is both fulfilling and meets your monetary needs.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I do not think one can teach in the DR and save to pay school loans abroad. You would have to secure income in Canada to pay your loans, and use the money you make in DR to live. Regardless of how good a job you clinch, it is unlikely you will be making more than to live austerely. But the experience of living abroad can be priceless and can help you later in your career.