Blistering fast internet

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
These are some of the test results of our internet speed in Sosua today.

Bandwidth 21.20 kbps
Download 2.65 KB/seg

Bandwidth 17.70 kbps
Download 2.21 KB/seg

This coming from a 1,528 kbps service.
For those who don't go by numbers, it's less than half the speed of dial up, right now.

Verizon has no idea when it will be fixed.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rocky, I greatly appreciate your report. I have been struggling with the computer's slow speed all day and have found it impossible to send pictures as attachments.

Knowing it is not my computer or the program I am using that is the reason makes me feel a little better, but just a little. Did verizon say how much they were going to reduce our monthly charge until the problem is fixed? ;)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The reason Codetel changed their name to Verizon was that people were calling them Jodetel. :tired:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Same problem here for me too. Yesterday I had 5.5!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh of course I was bumped off constantly. But Verizon won't credit your account and says there is no problem...... Today I have 18.0 - fast in comparison....

Welcome to our world.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
Wireless

why don't people take advantage of Orange GSM network in DR. POP has a GPRS bandwith level (dial up level) and Santiago is EDGE (DSL level). You can connect wherever you wish (reception permits) and it is 99% stable. You can even travel with your internet connection if you wish.
Verizon is taking advantage of the few more months/years of high internet prices they have because the wireless is not really promoted yet. Very similar to three years ago in the US when a T1 was $1500 and ADSL was $400 a month. They are now a fraction of that because the wireless internet is booming.
Orange being operational with GSM but not implementing internet services is interesting though! i wonder why....

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
...99% stable.

Perhaps in the country where you live, but not where we live in the Dominican Republic. Orange has internet services. Reliability is probably 45% or less.

Verizon had the same problems in Santiago and Santo Domingo as well. After a few days they managed to sort it out and all is well now. Give them a little time, they may just do it for you.

Last edited:

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
Wherever you get an Orange signal, you will get internet. If you do not get a constant signal, yes indeed, it would not be a reliable solution. maybe a backup when your other internet connection is down. remenber that with wireless you can actually go to any place that is located in a place that receives Orange signal well and surf there, your favorite coffee place, the beach,....
I have exprerienced perfect reception in POP, Sosua, Cabarette, Gaspar, Moca, Santiago, SD, La romana, Las Terrenas and Samana.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This is not a standard WIFI signal. You still need a Mobile Broadband Wireless card such as The Sierra Wireless Aircard to pick up a 3G signal. Your machine is only going to receive the standard wireless 2.4 GHZ signal without an additional card.

Alternatively you could get a modem that connects to your Cell Phone which is not the most dependable.

There are open WIFI networks at several establishments that you may be referring to, this IS NOT ORANGE service, fyi.

How are you connecting, I am curious.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
just get a blackberry or a websurfing cell phone in the US, a data plan with Cingular or Tmobile ($30/month unlimited data or cheaper for lower data) in the US and use the device as a modem for your laptop/PC. Orange has a GSM network and will support yout Cingular/Tmobile service here in DR. I have tested it all over the place in DR and so far it works as a charm. I must say that Santiago is by far the best spot with a perfect EDGE coverage.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Exactly what I thought

You are full of HOT AIR my friend, you need an Orange SIM card for this and it is not exactly cheap to stay connected for more than a few minutes. Roaming from the States will cost you a small fortune. Did I mention download speeds about as fast as a string and two cans.

Toodle too

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
that's what i thought too

I have been using the process i am describing for a long time now. I trust you have not but have an interesting way of trying to understand it.

get educated before jumping:

All GSM providers interact services without the need to change sim cards, go to www.gsmworld.com and check Tmobile or cingular and their DR partner (Orange).

Data services are unlimited (so long oyu have an unlimited data plan) regardless of your location in the world, go to www.cingular.com

to use your blackberry as a modem, go to blackberryforum.com, plenty of threads on the subject for PC and MAC users.

now go try it for yourself and ring me back....

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This is not a permanent condition.
99.8% of the time we have great speed.
It's just a breakdown, and in true form, they are slow to fix it.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Verizons response to me

When I called Verizon around 5pm or so to complain they said they were working on it because: (Actual Quote) We have 5 calls from the North Coast.

Ofcourse I replied: ...but I'm in Santiago!

So next time folks, CALL THEM !!!!!! lol

It seems to be better now for the most part.

(Still can't insert smileys)

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
just checked mine 3.0Mbps

But, are you currently in the Dominican Republic using Verizon?

I would give you my current speed,
.....but I don't think "stopped" counts as a speed.

WOW! I'm up to 34.9 kbps, from an earlier 9.9kbps.

(Just figured out my lack of ability to use smiley's, bold, Italics, underline, etc., they don't work using (My copy of) Firefox, but they do with Internet explorer. The ones I used in this post were manually coded by me). ;)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
My verizon connection is giving me problems right now too, I am in Santiago.

It is waaaay slower than usual, how much I am not sure but alot. Later on tonight when I dont have 15 users on my bandwidth I will run a test to see just how bad they are screwing me.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Back up to speed today and all is well in paradise.
Nice to not have to wait 15 minutes to open an email with an attachment in it.