I just did a speed test...............

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Verizon's best option in speed what ever that means..................(This is what I ( purcheased)

Download speed 1.32 mbps.

Upload speed 47.4 kbps.

I'm paying a high cost price for High Speed Internet and it sucks................

JoanneH

Feb 1, 2003
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'm with Verizon in Sosua.

Speed is 392kbps download and 110kbps upload. Much faster than it was last night but still slow.

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Cabarete?

Is this problem affecting Cabarete? (Sorry, I don't know the locale of all the posters). So far I can confirm problems in Puerto Plata, Sos?a, and Santiago.

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Please Respond

Won't someone in Cabarete help me out here. Planning to arrive on Oct. 1 for the whole month. My wife has permission to "work from home" and this is the trial run, but if the broadband is not up to reasonable speed, we can't risk her coming at all.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Won't someone in Cabarete help me out here. Planning to arrive on Oct. 1 for the whole month. My wife has permission to "work from home" and this is the trial run, but if the broadband is not up to reasonable speed, we can't risk her coming at all.
The speed problem just developed recently and is expected to be completely resolved soon.
There are no guarantees in life, but your wife should not expect to have any problems by the time she gets here.
This is the speed testing website that Verizon techs use.

http://www.upseros.com/testvelocidad.phphttp://snottystory.blogspot.com/

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Thanks

Thank you Rocky. I hope you'll keep us "posted" if anything new develops good or bad - I'd rather pay the fee for postponing a flight than for a new ticket home.

Marc

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thank you Rocky. I hope you'll keep us "posted" if anything new develops good or bad - I'd rather pay the fee for postponing a flight than for a new ticket home.

Marc
Anytime.
Perhaps you could post here again, or PM or email me in a week's time to be sure that all is back to normal.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Thanks Rocky

-A- Ancho de banda: 311.90 kbps
-B- Velocidad de descarga: 38.99 KB/seg

Just learned something new... a little confusing

The 38.99 KB/seg is the same as 311.90 kbps.

Terminalogy KB/seg is not the same as kbps.

The first being KiloBytes per Second and the later KiloBits per Second.
Well they fooled me... lol

I learned that from another speed test that gave a better visual.
And then I looked up the terminolgy.

Your download speed : 305 kbps or 38.1 KB/sec.
Your upload speed : 92 kbps or 11.5 KB/sec.

These were tests on my 384/128 kbps Verizon DSL line on Sep 12, 2006 in Santiago

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
The speed problem just developed recently and is expected to be completely resolved soon.
There are no guarantees in life, but your wife should not expect to have any problems by the time she gets here.
This is the speed testing website that Verizon techs use.

http://www.upseros.com/testvelocidad.phphttp://snottystory.blogspot.com/

4cwvj9g.jpg

Nothing wrong with my (non-DR) performance but that page... took over 21 seconds to load.

Gregg

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You fellows must learn how to ping. I just pinged Dr1.com and the reply came in at 137 miliseconds. Then I pinged verizon and the ping timed out.

Yes, we have a problem.

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Results using MySpeed:

Upload 109 kbps

Download 440 kbps

Pretty slow rates for ADSL, as we all know.

Thanks for the Cabarete reading, Windeguy. That is kinda slow. I wonder if that is fast enough to run a Vonage phone hook-up? Anyway, I hope the problem is something that Verizon can clear up in the next couple weeks (but I'm not betting on it).

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
There seems to be a lot of different numbers quoted here for Sosua/Cabarete, what is the speed that you know is the norm for the North Coast (Verizon) ?

And how often do you usually get these slow speed problems (say per week) ?

moviemouth: I am in the same boat, I'm coming mid-Dec. and if the DSL is too slow I have to return.... By the way I think ~400 Kbps download and ~100 kbps upload is just about OK for VoIP/Vonage - anything lower and it will be hard to have a good conversation.

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
There seems to be a lot of different numbers quoted here for Sosua/Cabarete, what is the speed that you know is the norm for the North Coast (Verizon) ?

And how often do you usually get these slow speed problems (say per week) ?

moviemouth: I am in the same boat, I'm coming mid-Dec. and if the DSL is too slow I have to return.... By the way I think ~400 Kbps download and ~100 kbps upload is just about OK for VoIP/Vonage - anything lower and it will be hard to have a good conversation.

Thanks, Uzin. The Vonage info provides a little comfort. I'm also taking some encouragement from the fact that yesterday I rec'd an email from my contractor ( in Sosúa) containing four photos totaling 4.5mb - I guess his connection wasn't too slow when he uploaded that.