recommended moderate day hikes?

bruceagent

Sep 11, 2006
Hello, I am planning a visit in Nov. with my wife and 2 year old. We would love to spend several days doing some hiking.

Can anyone recommend some great 2-4 hour hikes? We are experienced and in shape, but would like moderately challenging hikes, not extremely difficult (we carry the kid in a backpack - ~20 kilos). We will have a rental car.

Would appreciate details:
- how to get to the trailhead
- need an SUV, or just regular car?
- hike time (roundtrip)
- how difficult?
- great things about the hike (waterfall, cave, etc.)

Thanks!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
El Limon in Samana. Just make sure it has not been raining. There are several ways to go. I am going to start another thread to ask for the different routes.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Climbing the Mogote mountain from Jarabacoa appears to be a tough but rewarding day hike. We had other priotities on our one day visit there, but the owner of the hotel we stayed recommended it as a one day hike in the Jarabacoa mountains. Maybe others have actually done it and can report? The big one, Pico Duarte, takes at least a couple of days.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From the city of Salcedo - La Ruta del Cafe - link includes telephone and e-mail contact details, but I couldn't find their own website.

Guariquen.org in Samana have several short treks and trails around Las Galeras.

This DR1 article also has some suggestions.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
The hikes out of Ranco Wendy (near Bonao) take you to some nice vistas and smaller waterfalls. There is a field on the that that has a sole boulder with some very impressive lightning strikes. As for Ranco Wendy, do a search on this sight. It has "very modest" accommodations that appeal to some, and turn other off.