Cost of Living

musial78

May 18, 2005
I'm trying to figure out a way to decipher how much 200 pesos/hr really is, compared to a salary in the US. The idea is that I currently have a job in the US making $33,000; but I could a position in the Dominican making 200 pesos/hr. I know the cost of living is a lot cheaper in the DR, but could I even make it on that type of pay? And how much of a drop off is that from my current $16/hr (with benefits).

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
It's a huge drop off from your $16/hr. Cost of living in the DR is no longer cheaper than most US areas. i would say it's par to US cost of living, so both salaries should be based on an hourly salary.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The cost of living in the Dr is only cheaper than the US when you live on a Dominican standard. That includes: no vehicle, intermittant electric, no A/C, no hot water, meals consisting of mainly rice & bens & plantains, etc., etc. Any imported luxuries will be more costly than the US.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
I'm trying to figure out a way to decipher how much 200 pesos/hr really is, compared to a salary in the US. The idea is that I currently have a job in the US making $33,000; but I could a position in the Dominican making 200 pesos/hr. I know the cost of living is a lot cheaper in the DR, but could I even make it on that type of pay? And how much of a drop off is that from my current $16/hr (with benefits).

200 pesos/hr is about $6 to $7 USD per hour.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
200 X 8 hours a day = 1,600 X 24 working days in the month = $38,400 peso's for the month.

Now, depending where you live in the U.S., you may indeed to be able to have a better quality of life IMO.

If you make $33,000 dollars and live in New York or other big metropolitan area's you will be living in a one room apartment and won't be able to afford a car (parking garage) either.

It really depends upon your life style and your circumstances (married, kids etc.) but I think a comfortable existence is possible down here for that money.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
200 X 8 hours a day = 1,600 X 24 working days in the month = $38,400 peso's for the month.

Now, depending where you live in the U.S., you may indeed to be able to have a better quality of life IMO.

If you make $33,000 dollars and live in New York or other big metropolitan area's you will be living in a one room apartment and won't be able to afford a car (parking garage) either.

It really depends upon your life style and your circumstances (married, kids etc.) but I think a comfortable existence is possible down here for that money.
Too many ???????'s. First, what makes you think that a person who earns only US$33,000/yr. in the US can earn 200 pesos/hour in the DR. This would place him in at a higher pay scale than the majority of workers in the DR. That is a rate higher than teachers, government doctors, bank employees, hotel supervisors, etc. Even if he does earn RD$38,400/month in the DR, he will have deducted in excess of RD$5,000 for income taxes and Social Security. I don't see how you can say "a comfortable existence" is possible, unless you are considering it an improvement over life in some of the Dominican slum barrios.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Too many ???????'s. First, what makes you think that a person who earns only US$33,000/yr. in the US can earn 200 pesos/hour in the DR. This would place him in at a higher pay scale than the majority of workers in the DR. That is a rate higher than teachers, government doctors, bank employees, hotel supervisors, etc. Even if he does earn RD$38,400/month in the DR, he will have deducted in excess of RD$5,000 for income taxes and Social Security. I don't see how you can say "a comfortable existence" is possible, unless you are considering it an improvement over life in some of the Dominican slum barrios.

The reason I used a lot of qualifiers such as "depends on your lifestyle and circumstances" and words like "possible" is because from the information given there are too many ????'s. If the OP states he can make that money I use the info he provides, it is not really in my interest to question whether he is accurate about his job opportunity.

I left NYC, with a wife and 3 sons a year and a half ago and relocated to Santiago, we make less money and have a quality of life infinitly better than what we left.

A single person making 40k peso's here a month is in as good shape if not better they would be in New York City with 33k dollars a year.

At the end of the day, we both agree on the fact that the original post is not very detailed so I would not RECCOMEND anything off of it, but I beleive my 2cents are accurate.

Perhaps the OP can provide some more details about the life he has now and what he would expect here.