To move to DR or not

eztxb

Jul 17, 2006
For six months now i have read daily this great site, in that time i have made a 10 day visit to SD, PC, POP. I had a great time but way to short to make anykind of major decesion on moving there. With all the negative and positive things i read on here it seems to lean more to the negative. So my question is to the people that post on here expats especially would you make the move again?????????????????

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
For six months now i have read daily this great site, in that time i have made a 10 day visit to SD, PC, POP. I had a great time but way to short to make anykind of major decesion on moving there. With all the negative and positive things i read on here it seems to lean more to the negative. So my question is to the people that post on here expats especially would you make the move again?????????????????
Yes, but 20 years earlier.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Good answer Rocky. I first came here a little over 12 years ago. It was more of a backwater then, the rate of development since 1996 has been astonishing.

But I would certainly make the move again. though bear in mind,I was very happy living in Delhi too.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
You'll never know

until you have tried. If you never try you will be kicking yourself. You can always go back as long as you don't burn your bridges.

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
Yes, we would do it again !
Make it clear to yourself that things are different here and you cannot change all the manners here only show good example how things had done in more developed countries.

G

gary short

Why not visit for a few months and if it's not your cup of tea try somewhere else. Trinidad or Panama, Mexico or even the Phillipines.

B

batich

Yes, but 20 years earlier.

The whole world and UN itself demand embargo to be removed. Fidel is old too.

Without embargo and iron curtain american capital will rush again in Cuba and will forget for some years about other Caribbean including DR.

This huge crowd of baby-boomers with all their money hopefully will go to Cuba too and current crazy prices, overdevelopment , tourism and cost of living in DR hopefully again will go down to its sweat 20 year ago state.

So, I think you can give it a try. But do not buy. Rent. And watch. If you start seeing NA baby-boomers in the streets and in real estate offices and hearing English language - run. Quick and fast.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
The whole world and UN itself demand embargo to be removed. Fidel is old too.

Without embargo and iron curtain american capital will rush again in Cuba and will forget for some years about other Caribbean including DR.

This huge crowd of baby-boomers with all their money hopefully will go to Cuba too and current crazy prices, overdevelopment , tourism and cost of living in DR hopefully again will go down to its sweat 20 year ago state.

So, I think you can give it a try. But do not buy. Rent. And watch. If you start seeing NA baby-boomers in the streets and in real estate offices and hearing English language - run. Quick and fast.

Interesting theory. Cuba suddenly becomes capitalist and DR goes back 20 years in history. Are the baby-boomers spy from the US or UN?
OK i better run. Quick and fast.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I have been here over a year and do not regret it at all. I dont plan on going back to the states any time soon. But, I definately agree with Dom Scottie when he said "dont burn your bridges". Dont make the mistake of selling everything you own and taking a headfirst dive down here. Take your time, build friendships and connections, plan, and try to make it so you can go back where you came from and have something to go back to.

This country is definately not for everyone but you can't find out if it is for you if you dont give it a try. Just be smart about it.

Larry

B

batich

They price out other people

Interesting theory. Cuba suddenly becomes capitalist and DR goes back 20 years in history. Are the baby-boomers spy from the US or UN?
OK i better run. Quick and fast.

They do not spy. Baby-boomers drive prices up crazy wherever they appear. Baby-boomers generation was born in 1945-1950 and right now they start retiring. They are the biggest threat to all great destinations that are still left.

The only good thing about them - their cultural and geographical education is rather limited. Very few of them speak even rudimentary any foreign language. And for the most part never traveled beyond US, or the best - to some All Inclusive reservation.

So, let`s hope they retire and stay in their floridas,bostons, PA`s, new-yorks and such.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Good answer Rocky. I first came here a little over 12 years ago. It was more of a backwater then, the rate of development since 1996 has been astonishing.

But I would certainly make the move again. though bear in mind,I was very happy living in Delhi too.
I should have worded it better.
I came here 15 years ago and wish I had come 20 years sooner.

B

batich

How lucky you are!

I should have worded it better.
I came here 15 years ago and wish I had come 20 years sooner.

Fifteen years in real freedom without rat race, away from big corporate sharks, stress and cynical propoganda??!!

How lucky, real lucky you are my friend!! I am sure you well deserved this gift of God!

Sincere congratulations! ( And a bit of "white" envious;) )

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
until you have tried. If you never try you will be kicking yourself. You can always go back as long as you don't burn your bridges.

Excellent words of advice, alot of people are kicking themselves on things they should've, could've and would've done if they had that "second chance".

To the Op, Go for it, but just plan, plan, plan, if it does not work, you'll chalk it up as experience.

eztxb

Jul 17, 2006
yes i have been planning and looking around

Very much thanks everyone for your input. I want to also go see Margarita Island Venezuela,,, but you would not believe the negative stuff the USA/cia and bush are talk about that country,,, so different than what i read from blogers on isla margarita

B

batich

Nothing new.

Very much thanks everyone for your input. I want to also go see Margarita Island Venezuela,,, but you would not believe the negative stuff the USA/cia and bush are talk about that country,,, so different than what i read from blogers on isla margarita

You are grown-up enough to understand why they talk it about that country and about some other countries as well.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
So often..much too often

We see people come down here and fall in love with a country, it's laws, language and a culture they know nothing about. They simply get "boinked" and go back to their home country all "ga ga". They begin mumbling to themself and then to their family and others. "I'm moving to the DR, I'm going to pack up everything, sell everything and I am going to live in the DR".

Then they just do it. Uproot their life, sometimes bringing husbands, wives, children, dogs, cats and maybe even grandma and grandpa with them. This is done without so much as even learning the basic language, without learning the basic ideals of this culture, it's laws, the geography (outside of the resort where they stayed). They burn bridges and proclaim "I am never coming back so na na na na na".

They arrive just as they have done a couple of times before. But this time there is no resort workers waiting to pack their suitcases into that silly little trailer that is hitched to the back of that even more silly resort bus. The sankie resort worker, PN, or some other person they met on the 4 days stay who they befriended and now call their "connection" might be there waiting for them and then...he might not be depending if he got something else to do that day. Within a very, very short period of time the reality sinks in that they are no longer in Kansas anymore. Then some people are in complete denial and try to get a job that might pay a few hundred bucks a month. How long does this last?

Ever see them? The street beggars? No I am not talking about the poor Dominicans and Haitians, I am talking about the gringos. Yes, they are here and you got to think to yourself. What the heck happened to that guy, what is he doing here? Well, think about that and ponder a while, think very hard.

PLAN, PLAN, PLAN..... AND NEVER BURN YOUR BRIDGES!

I wish you all the best!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I too like Rocky have been here a bit. 10 years for me and if I had it to do all over again I?d have done it 6 years earlier when I first retired. I came here on a two week vacation, returned home, sold everything I owned and moved here 2 weeks later with no desire to return back to the US.

The only reason I was able to do this and the reason I decided to do this is because I am able to survive on my monthly pension and therefore don?t need to work. If I had to depend on employment to live here I couldn?t survive at the level I?m at. Keep that in mind in your decision.

Fellow members have given you some very good advice and like them I would suggest that you come on down and rent for a while and see if you can adapt as adaptation is definitely required. Two important statements that were made need to be heeded, Anitaemma said, ?Make it clear to yourself that things are different here and you cannot change all the manners here only show good example how things had done in more developed countries?, and Dominican Scotty said, ?You can always go back as long as you don't burn your bridges? and with that in mind I?d say go for it.

Rick

eztxb

Jul 17, 2006
thanks D-scotty

i did not stay but one night of the 10 days in an AI,, i saw plenty of the real deal so to speak. So much good advice from the board here i know the basics as in rent first ect. those kind of things. I am 48 yrs but will have an income from rental property in the states that i will not be selling so i wont be looking for a job. the DR does deserve another longer look for me but also i will be checking out other places also. On the list right now is Isla Margarita
Venezuela and Uruguay both of those i am planning in the next few months.
I hope i find the right place because i sure feel like i am over the states which i hate to say having been born here and lived all my life but its just not the same place and i dont see it getting better.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
They do not spy. Baby-boomers drive prices up crazy wherever they appear. Baby-boomers generation was born in 1945-1950 and right now they start retiring. They are the biggest threat to all great destinations that are still left.

The only good thing about them - their cultural and geographical education is rather limited. Very few of them speak even rudimentary any foreign language. And for the most part never traveled beyond US, or the best - to some All Inclusive reservation.

So, let`s hope they retire and stay in their floridas,bostons, PA`s, new-yorks and such.

Where do you get this info on baby boomers?????????