When you get shot

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I was shot in the throat 6 weeks ago by two guys robbing my house. I spent 2 weeks in hospital whcih cost 400,000RD$ after the insurance had paid out its maximum payment. The two guys who did it are apparantly in jail. Is there any chance of compensation here? In the Uk we have the Criminal Injuries compensation board which pays out for things like this. I will need another operation on my throat as I still can't speak - the bullet burned my voice box and I don't have any more cash!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Sorry to hear

Gosh, I am sorry to hear this horrible news.

Trying to answer your question respectfully. I do not believe there is any type of compensation board here in the DR. Attempting to sue and get money from a couple of home invaders that shot you is even more impossible. These crazy individuals invaded your house because it is probable that they are drug users and were desperate.

I am positive that others will be able to assist you on this thread. Send Fabio Guzman, who is the legal pro on this thread a "PM". He will certainly guide you to the right people.

Once again, I am saddened about your close call however glad that you survived. I am also hoping that these wild monsters are brought to bear the full brunt of justice!

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Im so sorry to hear of this terrible thing that happened to you, Im just glad you survived. Ive never heard of compensation except through lenthy court proceedings and then the thieves for sure have no money to pay you.
Where were you living when this happened?

Have you tried to speak with the admin in the hospital? or the surgeon? they sometimes help. Perhaps you could arrange to pay on a credit basis as Ive known happen before.

Very good luck to you.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Getting worried

Seems as though I'm hearing more and more stories like this sad one since I discovered the DR1. I have always "felt" safe visiting the DR but am starting to think I shouldn't have. Tell me please, where is your property where you were shot? We bought a villa in Costa Azul this past March and since then, I'm hearing horrible stories about murders and robberies and that I need a gun.
Did you have a gun and shoot back? So sorry to hear news like this, it's truly disturbing. Also, sad to hear that it has been a financial nightmare for you too.
I am not planning on living in the DR anytime soon, having the villa is for extended holidays to get away from the long Canadian winters. It's good to hear that these thugs have been caught though! I would appreciate your response. Heal up quickly. I am also curious if you will stay living in the DR after this experience.
Steve

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Costa Azul

Seems as though I'm hearing more and more stories like this sad one since I discovered the DR1. I have always "felt" safe visiting the DR but am starting to think I shouldn't have. Tell me please, where is your property where you were shot? We bought a villa in Costa Azul this past March and since then, I'm hearing horrible stories about murders and robberies and that I need a gun.
Did you have a gun and shoot back? So sorry to hear news like this, it's truly disturbing. Also, sad to hear that it has been a financial nightmare for you too.
I am not planning on living in the DR anytime soon, having the villa is for extended holidays to get away from the long Canadian winters. It's good to hear that these thugs have been caught though! I would appreciate your response. Heal up quickly. I am also curious if you will stay living in the DR after this experience.
Steve

Steve,

I had a friend who owned a beautiful house there. However a few years ago he sold it and moved away. There was no security at the time there and you have the barrio right behind you. The locals are always, always prowling through there breaking into houses etc. Please tell me? How are things there now? Have things changed? Is there now finally security there? It is a beautiful piece of property, I hope you are happy and also secure there.

PM me if you want to go off this thread. I am curious as I was interested in a house there.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Im so sorry to hear of this terrible thing that happened to you, Im just glad you survived. Ive never heard of compensation except through lenthy court proceedings and then the thieves for sure have no money to pay you.
Where were you living when this happened?

Have you tried to speak with the admin in the hospital? or the surgeon? they sometimes help. Perhaps you could arrange to pay on a credit basis as Ive known happen before.

Very good luck to you.

Thanks for this. They wouldn't let me leave t he hospital without settling the bill!! So that is sorted. i live in Juan Dolio - and am still in the same house. Hopefully lightning won't strike again!!!! I am fine now - apart from my voice and where they did the tracheotomy on my neck in San Pedro which needs fixing by a plastic surgeon. Thanks for your offer to help with shopping etc, but I am fine to do that.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Get me out of here...

The two guys who did it are apparantly in jail. Is there any chance of compensation here?

Pending proper legal advice, I guess a 'querella' could be done.
Although the culprits may be 'poor', it's sometimes amazing with how much the family can come up with when jail time drags on...

m'frog

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I live in Juan Dolio. I don't think it is any more violent than it ever was - just people are desperate for money. They shot me as they thought I would recognise them and they didn't expect me to be there. I din't have a gun - but it wouldn't have helped as I wouldn't have shot first. I still live in the same house and life is back to normal, but I am more careful when I go out and am improving security. The dogs saved my life as they attacked the guys - one of the dogs was shot and killed. My advice is get a dog, have good security around your house - but I am not sure if a gun helps or not

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sorry to hear about this. I'm glad they got the criminals, though.
Best wishes for a swift recovery.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Security

Steve,

I had a friend who owned a beautiful house there. However a few years ago he sold it and moved away. There was no security at the time there and you have the barrio right behind you. The locals are always, always prowling through there breaking into houses etc. Please tell me? How are things there now? Have things changed? Is there now finally security there? It is a beautiful piece of property, I hope you are happy and also secure there.

PM me if you want to go off this thread. I am curious as I was interested in a house there.

Since the new housing development there is new security.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Steve

When not n the DR do you rent your villa.:cheeky:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Matilda I hope your life will be back to normal soon. Have hope, you will get your voice back.:cheeky:

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
My God, what a terrible experience! You are one tough man to have even survived...My thoughts & prayers are with you for a complete recovery soon.
Canadian Bob.

eztxb

Jul 17, 2006
i have guns,,, and have been wondering if i can slip them in on the (saying) you can bring your household stuff (free) ya! but i wont come without at least one i was born and raisied in florida then moved to texas at 18 and thats 30 yrs ago,,, but i will have my own gun if i move there

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I'm glad your alright. There's good and bad everywhere no matter where you live. Whether it's Columbia, Africa, carribean islands, or the U.S. I hope you don't think less of D.R because of your situation, just be more aware. I'm surprised you don't have a gun though, almost everyone I know in D.R has a gun. At least anyone that has anything of value and wants to protect it. I hope you recover.

No - still love it here and have been here 4 years . with no plans to leave. Dominicans saved my life. One found me (I live a little off the beaten track) and carried me in his arms to the local emergency clinic (a 20 minute walk). who couldn't help. No ambulances in Juan Dolio, so they stopped a Haitian in a jeep and he took me to San Pedro. 3 Clinics in San Pedro couldn't help, but at the third a Dominican doctor performed an emergency tracheotomy. No ambulances available in San Pedro, but Dominican guy phoned a friend who had ambulance and they all piled in and took me to to Plaza de la Salud in Santo Domingo (arriving 5 hours after I'd been shot!) where the doctors and the care was amazing. So Dominicans and Haitians saved my life. Just a shame there is the criminal element here - and even more of a shame they are armed and prepared to use the guns. It was an illegal weapon which was used - the sooner all of these are off the street the better. Luckily only a .25 or I wouldn't be telling this story!!

Matilda