Plumbing Expert

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Okay , So I bought a pump with a small pressure tank. Like the all-in-one kit about 6 months ago and installed it in the house that I bought. The red ones.

I have since built a second level on my home and moved the Tenaco to the roof. Since that time, My system does not maintain water pressure. The pump constantly cycles.

I have a back flow valve off of the Tenaco. It is also isolated with a shut-off valve but when I shut that off the system continues to loose pressure.

I have tried to redo the fittings at the pump where there is a very very small leak but without success.

The sytem looses pressure and the pump cycles about every 45 seconds. So I cannot imagine that that small leak could cause such a fast cycling of the pump and such a fast loss of pressure.

I followed all of the lines into the concrete and there are no leaks. There are no leaks inside either house. At least nothing that I can see.

Being unfamiliar with concrete construction and Tenacos , I have 4 questions.

1/. Can there be a leak inside the walls or the floor? (There are no signs of any)

2/. Can the pressure from the Tenaco up higher, be doing something ?

3/. Would a 20 gallon pressure tank resolve either of these problems ?

4/. I have drained the existing little red pressure tank. with what seems without success.

I am at my wits end and I am afraid to call a "plumber" . You all know WHY ! I do have some engineering experience and do know about pressures and flows. I just can't seem to figure this out.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
You need a direct line from the pump tank to the roof tenaco. This will keep the roof tank filled, which will then supply the rest of the house. The roof tank valve shutoff will prevent it from overfilling & cascading over your house. There is a good chance the pump tank is too small, but there must be NO leaks, or your'e beat! You may also have leaks under the tile or concrete; solution is to run outside plastic lines (PRESSION type). Good luck! Canadian Bob.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Hi Canadian Bob

Well My Line goes to the Tenaco, Fillto the top and return on the bottom of the Tenaco. The Backflow valve is AFTER the "T" to the fill pip to the Tenaco.
So I am good to go there . I Do have that leak at the pump. Could That be nthe cause of the pressure loss ? It is a small leak . I have tried 4 times to seal it with Teflon tape but It wont seal. I may have to try liquid Sealer.

The Tenaco is shutting odff via the float ball valve .It isnt over filling . How can I determine if there is a leak inside the concrete walls ? i dont have any filtration or leaks .......

Thanks for the response

Its a bit different here , so I was wondering ... My home in the country in Canada required periodic draining of the presuure tank which I did with a 1/4 turn valvethat was inmstalled there and then bleeding the tank .

You need a direct line from the pump tank to the roof tenaco. This will keep the roof tank filled, which will then supply the rest of the house. The roof tank valve shutoff will prevent it from overfilling & cascading over your house. There is a good chance the pump tank is too small, but there must be NO leaks, or your'e beat! You may also have leaks under the tile or concrete; solution is to run outside plastic lines (PRESSION type). Good luck! Canadian Bob.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have to drain my pressure tank about once a year.

I do that when it begins to cycle on and off like yours is doing. I say buy a 1/2 to 1 horsepower pump and a bigger tank. the plumer should install it for 1 t0 2 thousand pesos depending on how much new piping is involved,where you live,and how well you speak spanish!;) Get his price in advance,and hold him to it!:eek:gre:
cccccccccccccc

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Thanks Criss and Newuser. Will do that today to make sure.
Yesterday I tried draining off again.......water came out for 4 hours. The tank is only about 5 gallons so I think that there is a definite problem with the tank.
I shut it down last night and I am living off the Tenaco. Today I plan to disassemble all and to buy and install a bigger and new pressure tank,.

i am getting pretty handy with the hacksaw and the glue ! LOL

Will let you know how I make out !

Joe

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Bladder problems

It was the bladder in the tank which ruptured. 6 months old. Who'ed o' thunk !
Of course the 1 year gurantee meant nothing cause I supposedly "had the pressure too high" , although they didnt even check ! And it wasnt.
Dominican , Customer satisfaction .....sigh . the same hardware store that sold me a set of shower and bath handles and stressed the 10 year guarantee. When it leaked they told me that I had to deal with the manufacturer but they didnt know who they were.
Has anyone ever received a refund in this country ?

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Great that you found the bladder problem. You should really try to fix the leak at the pump again. Use a tube of plastic metal, & be sure to tape all the connections, including the suction pipe delivering water to the pump. I also marked the pump power source in my fusebox and shut it off at bedtime. When I get up, I just turn that fuse on again, which does stop wasting power... Canadian Bob.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Air leak

You should ALWAYS deal with that "little" air leak first. When pushing water upwardly, you are now dealing with how much "head" the pump has to deal with. The higher the push, the more head. As it gets higher, the pump will suck air even faster because water is heavy and air is light so anytime a pump has a chance to pull air over water, it will.
Steve

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
My brother in Santo Domingo is an expert plumber. He speaks english and does not charge much. In order to consult with him though, you must first offer a Presidente as sacrifice to the alcohol gods. Then talk turkey. His cell number is 809 749-8111