Wages -what should I pay?

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I have a Dominican who has worked for us off and on for 5 years. Now that we have moved here he is currently working for us: 40 hrs. a week/prox, 9 to 5, 1 hour to go home for lunch. He is a translator, interpreter, facilitator, (w/contractors & purchases), and an occasional chauffeur for my wife. Can anyone tell me or give me an idea how much I should be paying him? Cabarete area if it makes a difference. Thank you.

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
I have a Dominican who has worked for us off and on for 5 years. Now that we have moved here he is currently working for us: 40 hrs. a week/prox, 9 to 5, 1 hour to go home for lunch. He is a translator, interpreter, facilitator, (w/contractors & purchases), and an occasional chauffeur for my wife. Can anyone tell me or give me an idea how much I should be paying him? Cabarete area if it makes a difference. Thank you.

ive heard that 1500Rd might be in the ball park per week

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Better make that RD$2000 per week with benefits (+14%) you need to register him with the Social Security administration and pay a monthly fee to the system of health insurance and pension plans. HOWMAR can guide you better. Send him a PM.

HB

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Be very cautious in this situation. If this employee is ever eventually liquidated, his liquidation will be based on his entire term of employment (which he may be able to prove dates back 5 years) and at the pay rate rate received in the prior 12 months. For example, if you continue his employment for the next year at the new, higher rate, and then have to liquidate him, he may be entitled to 23 days/yr X 6 years or 138 days liquidation pay at tne new rate. To avoid this, you may want to liquidate him under his old rate now(assuming he made very little per month in the past), then rehire him after a period of time as a new employee.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, that is an excellent point HOWMAR!! I can see you do this a lot.,

You have to wait like 30 or 60 days before hiring the guy again. This is to insure that you do not do what you're going to do.

If you want, you can pay him in cash with no witnesses, or have the guy at the gasoline station pay him, whatever way you need to inorder to have no connection with you. ABSOLUTELY no paper no witnesses. But you do need to keep good records of his "dismissal and liquidation" and then, later, of his "hiring"....

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you do this, be very sure you know the legal time period you must wait before reemploying him,

If you are doing this to avoid a big bill should you liquidate him, then you had better do exactly what the law requires. If you terminate him, terminate him. No subterfuge method of paying him just to get your paper trail in order.

Otherwise, if the person is liquidated and has a mind to, he can go to the labor department, make a claim, document the subterfuge, and get a ruling in his favor.

I'm surprised that Hillbilly is suggesting subterfuge because you will likely be found out in the end if the circumstances terms of the liquidation are considered unjust or unfair by the employee.

If the guy is good and you are well pleased with his work, then pay him what it takes to keep him happy and do worry about future liquidations that may very well never happen.

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
Could someone explain to me the difference between domestic worker and that one which needs a lot of paperwork and all the time treath of problems if one want to discharge the employee.
I thought that I had to register as an employer for our gardenman but when I went to the office they said that was not necessary until he works in the housemaintening and in the garden.
Only I should take care of salary extra for Navidad . Is it truth ?