Online ordering from the DR

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Bad news.

Seems more and more online shops are checking IP addresses. My "Newegg.com" order just failed and they informed me that orders placed from non-US IP addresses are no longer possible. This sucks a lot as Newegg is one of the best if not the best for computer hardware.

Any ideas what we can do about this? Entering personal data while using a proxy server doesn't seem like a good idea to me but its the only idea that i had so far. PS: They don't have phone/fax ordering :(

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've given up. I can't make cc purchases from the DR, and a lot of folks don't take PP.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I know 2 peope who have beaten the system, but their solutions are not practical for me.

Guy # one has a satellite internet connection and uses that to purchase, since his satellite systen has a US IP address.

Guy # 2 runs various web businesses and had one of his programmers set up one of his web servers in the US as a proxy server so he can browse as if he were in the states.

I was hoping there might be as service out there that would make a non US web browser look like a US web broswer.

For one thing, my new PS3 has some really cool internet funtionality, but when it sees my DR IP address it locks me out of all the cool stuff. (like movie rental downloads)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
wont it give the game away when you give them the address to deliver to....ive used paypal to buy some items and to my surprise they actually arrived

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I use PayPal with my BusinessMail, MIAMI forwarding company as my 'CONFIRMED' address. This normally gets me passed the eBay scrutiny of "Outside of the Good Ol USA" requirement!

Isn't it amazing how many US Corporates are getting paranoid about ONLY supporting people from within their own confines? I even had some clever telephone order girl telling me how terrible the DR was because her Father used to live here (in an official USA position) 18 years ago & he had told her nasty things that happen here - like NO electricity & poor transportation & ......... !!! Mind you, she got very pleasant again when I told her she was speaking to G.W. Bush, :paranoid: :pirate: ........... her Father must have had a DEMOCRAT Appointment!:ermm: :surprised :paranoid:! ~ Grahame.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have bought and buy all types of stuff online through Amazon, ebay etc. and have never had a problem. My forwarding addrees for my credit card (in Doral Fl) is already authorized so it has never been a problem. I might also add that I maintain a US street mailing address for my cc.

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
samair proxies

Sort by country, then browse through the US ones. I used to use a Canadian one to watch the CBC hockey feeds online. Unfortunately CBC has become rather good at detecting proxies now. :mad:

Codeen ones can be a bit of a pain to work with sometimes.

You need a high-anonymous proxy. The ones on port 80 are easier to use and less recognizable.

Feb 7, 2007
if you get AOL broadband (to which you log in via your regular ISP connection in the DR), you will be actually going via AOL proxy in the USA and your IP address would appear as Missouri, USA

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
thanks rubio, that might be the solution for shopping at Newegg.com.

I will give it a try.

Oh, I shop at Amazon regularly and ebay and have no problem with those, but I am a tech enthusiast and not being able to use Newegg is veeery annoying.

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
my two cents

I've shopped on line (with US delivery address) at Borders, Bed/Bath/Beyond, with no problem.

Lavasoft took one of my orders last year and 5 minutes later denied the second one due to IP address. The fact that they had just approved one order made no difference to them . I had to wait 'till I got to LA to order the other product

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Early indications are that the AOL thing will work:

table>

table>

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
I used AOL before, to watch shows such as Las Vegas on NBC's servers (only available to US IP addresses) - before it somehow got problematic (the AOL) and would load up in safe mode only - with no sound.