Us Army Disabled Veterans

tino

Aug 29, 2006
www.tomorrows-hope.org
I will like to start this new thread to find out how many US Disabled Veterans are living in the Dominican Republic or have any intentions moving there. Please keep this thread for only US Disabled Veteran issues.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Disabled vets

Odd But just last summer I was thinking what a great place this would be for disabled vets -- There are now going to be so many coming home from Iraq. I am not one-- but think it would be good place - if there were some support.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are several here with some disabilities. You are onthe same track as several of my friends.....

HB

tino

Aug 29, 2006
www.tomorrows-hope.org
Hillbilly, you've mentioned that "they are several here with some disabilities", are you referring to US Armed Forces Veteran or just American civilian?
I do believe that a lot of disabled VET will be moving either to the DR or other countries in other to live a free stress life. I am thinking very much on moving to the DR by next year with my family, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and I am talking to the VA to see what kind of services they can provide for us overseas.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I am retired Army but not on the disabled rolls and have lived here for 10 years. The reason I chose the DR was for the stress free environment and due to the fact that I didn't want to work for a living anymore and wanted to really retire.

Being retired military and therefore being eligible for a number of health, education and financial services came to an abrupt end when I moved here due to the fact that the DOD does not allow any of its services here in the DR. It does have in place those services for the active duty members here but those don't and can't cover retired personnel.

Because of cost restraints I don't foresee this changing anytime soon.

Rick

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Tino:

You might want to look into Puerto Rico for a retirement site if you are disabled. There is an extensive support base there. There is a VA Hospital in Ponce, on the South Coast and the Army is still cadre'd in San Juan with full support medical facillites. I believe there is also Med Evac available for those whom the VA can't treat locally. Go to the US Government Web Site and punch in on the VA link. It is full of valuable information and you can get most of your questions answered there.

Hoist a Glass for ABSENT COMRADES.

Texas Bill

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i too am a recently retired Army guy (2003) looking into moving either to DR or Costa Rica. i got 30% due to an athletic injury but it's perfectly healed at this time.

keep this thread going...

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Rumor has it the new big hospital outside (south) Santiago, I think it's called HOMA or some such, will be OK'd for Medicare users. It should open next spring (DR time, perhaps the fall).
Just thinking that DOD might line up too, or be workable through the Medicare system. Worth asking whent he time comes.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Rumor has it the new big hospital outside (south) Santiago, I think it's called HOMA or some such, will be OK'd for Medicare users. It should open next spring (DR time, perhaps the fall).
Just thinking that DOD might line up too, or be workable through the Medicare system. Worth asking whent he time comes.
This rumor continues. Medicare regulations still to preclude payment for services rendered outside the US except in the certain instances listed. See this discussion. http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/48077-homs-medicare-dr-medicare.html?highlight=Medicare

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Tricare

Tricare for Life if you are retired and over 65 or Tricare Standard if you are not, pays 75% medical. I have used it for Santiago medical expenses for my wife and I for years with no major issues.
r
Jimmy

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Go To Costa Rica!"

The DR is NOTHING but broblems! I bet they even have "Electricity,water,and MAYBE EVEN garbage collection in "CR"! NOT HERE!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

tino

Aug 29, 2006
www.tomorrows-hope.org
We are not here to put down any country, we are trying to find solutions and a place of peace for us US disabled or non-disabled Veteran. I spent 3 months in 1993 in Salinas PR for training and yes, it is nice but I would not live there and Costa Rica is too far from my parents that lives in Miami Shores, Florida.
I will be meeting with a VA rep to discuss option on partnering with a local hospital or a good clinic that will take care of the disabled veterans service connected disabilities only. I also believe if we can keep this thread going in a positive track we can realize all of our dreams and goals rather than stupid negative issues that has nothing to do with our lives. I am happy that someone had responded to the first post, thank you.

Italia1970

Jan 18, 2016
I would love to connect with anyone on this thread or is a disabled vet and living/want to live in the DR.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The DR is NOTHING but broblems! I bet they even have "Electricity,water,and MAYBE EVEN garbage collection in "CR"! NOT HERE!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

[size=+2]How come???[/size] you are the one always endorsing the PLD governments in the DR...

JJ

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
[size=+2]How come???[/size] you are the one always endorsing the PLD governments in the DR...

JJ

I'm a veteran and was thinking of going to the V.A. in P.R. But when yo go you first get an appointment. So that means staying in some sort of lodging. Has anyone gone to the P.R. V.A. whare do you stay that is reasonally priced besides the park benches ?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I'm a veteran and was thinking of going to the V.A. in P.R. But when yo go you first get an appointment. So that means staying in some sort of lodging. Has anyone gone to the P.R. V.A. whare do you stay that is reasonally priced besides the park benches ?

I would like to help you but never been to P.R.

JJ

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com