Rules for corporal punishment in schools

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
I've just moved to Sosua in the last 2 weeks, though have had to fly back to UK this week to tie up some financial loose ends.

My 4yr old daughter hasn't yet started school though wants to as soon as possible! I'd decided what school I wanted her to attend (I wont' mention the school in question as this could turn out to be idle gossip) and had talked to the principal and visited the school personally and everything seemed in order. However, her father got talking a Canadian girl working locally and she (apparently) knew teachers who had worked at the school in question and who had left because they were not happy that the children were sometimes reprimanded physically and hit by the principal. Now this could just be idle `bar talk' but obviously I need to investigate further.

As you can imagine we're very concerned. I shall, of course, take it up with the principal herself but wondered if anybody had any experience or knowledge of children being physically reprimanded in schools in DR. Obviously if it happened in UK the teacher in question would be sacked, but I would like to know what the rules are in DR for punishing children? Are children's rights at school protected as in many other countries?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It shouldn't happen, but sometimes it does.

I don't have direct experience, but a friend found out that this was going on at her daughter's private school. Best thing would be to raise the concern with the principal in a diplomatic, non-accusatory manner.

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
I dont know about England, but I can tell you that a little ars whoop'n in school wouldn't hurt some of our Dr. Spock raised kids! However, having the principal punish my 4 year daughter would not be acceptable to me either.