Cabarete-El Jardin deportivo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2006
Hi,
I will be going to the DR for the first time next summer and, I have decided to rent the villa, La Perla Negra. It is in Jardin Deportivo in Cabarete. The owner is very nice and helpful and, the place looks huge. I was concerned about the area at night though.I mean, I know when the sun goes down , it can be pitch black in some places. I don't know if there is a bustle of people along the way or if the area is quiet and desolate at night. I was told that it is safe over there but I'm always on guard regardless. I randomly called a hotel in Jardin Deportivo today and spoke to a gentleman who happens to be a friend of the owner. He works at Hotel Arcos and he gave me a great description of the area and the villa. I've been told that it is an old hotel that was renovated into a private property. Anyway, I am really more concerned about walking around at night. I don't want to rent cars because...it will be a problem. To say the least. They've told me that the beach is 4 mins away from the villa. So, we can walk along it to go to the middle of town to the nightlife. Though, would it be fair to say it is safe for a group of people to walk along the way in the wee hours of the monring? There will be like 15+ ppl in my group. I'm sure we are going to be stumbling back from partying at night and I've heard horror stories about the driving. So, I'm wondering if we should take taxi's to get around or would we better off walking on the beach? I drive here in Manhattan from time to time and am very agressive but I don't mess with driving when in the Caribbean. Whole different scene.
Also, if anyone is familiar with the area, I would like to hear your comments.
Thanks.

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
Since nobody has replied so far, although I'm a D.R. "noob," I'll throw in my two cents...

I'm not sure about that particular hotel, but I did stay in Cabarete on my last trip. It's essentially a one road town, and if the hotel is 4 minutes away from the beach, you'd probably only have the one to cross.

I'd say walk, but a local may tell you different. (I'm not sure just how far down the beach your hotel would be from "downtown.") But it's really not a big town - I'd bet on walking.

As in Manhattan, simple common sense for safety applies. A group of 15 people would probably be a good deterrant as well.. lol Every time I've been out and about "outside the compound," with the wife, (we still stay in the AI's at night) I have never felt threatened or concerned for my safety. I would likely be more on guard walking around in NYC.

Have a great time in the Dominican Republic. Be careful though - it tends to be addictive. I'm gearing up for my 3rd trip in a year now.

Sep 15, 2006
Thanks for the response. I keep forgetting that the villa is on a strip.You wouldn't be familiar with it because it is an old hotel renovated into a house-like accomodation. For some reason, I keep equationg it(the area) to a regular village or neighborhood, which it is but, it's all on one strip.

Jardin Deportivo, Cabarete, Puerta Plata, Dominican Republic
Directions: 3 kms from the centre of Cabarete in the direction of Rio San Juan, 1km after the turn off for Camino Del Sol is the turn on the left (driving from Cabarete) for Jardin Deportivo.
In the Heart of the Gay District in Cabarete's Jardin Deportivo.
Gay Lesbian Lodging in Dominican Republic> Gay hotel Gay Accommodation Bed Breakfast Holiday

I am suprised at the information that is available on google.

La Perla Negra
vacation rental Cabarete Puerto Plata by Owner Apartment Bed and Breakfast Accommodation

Cabarete Dominican Republic Vacation Rentals ~ EXOTIC VILLA LA PERLA NEGRA PRIVATE VILLA

Cabarete Villa Rental, " LA PERLA NEGRA" Private 10 Bedroom Luxury Villa | PerfectPlaces.com

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2006

QUOTE]

I am going to take this as you being helpful and not suspect that you are trying to be rude. However, I already did my homework in that area. If you will take notice, all three of the sites referring to the villa have the same exact description in regards to the area. They do not go in depth.I did not say that I do not know about the villa itself. I found the villa on PerfectPlaces and have re-read the info on all of the other sites that you have listed so many times. When I googled Jardin Deportivo, many sites referred to it as being a Gay village. I don't care about that but, it is what led me to Hotel Arcos, an establishment in the area that can tell me if they've actually seen the place, and can give me insight on getting around Cabarete from there. I wanted to know about availabilities for taxi's, safety walking on the beach or along the strip to the middle of town, the surrounding buildings, etc. The gentleman at Arcos made it sound like there are enough people about at night, a couple of bars, and that it is safe. Then, two other people gave me very conflicting responses. They told me the area was desolate, with old and empty buildings,and asked me why I would want to stay there. Hence why I now have to ask again. The place is gorgeous, so I am confused as to why there are different descriptions of its surroundings.

I am not trying spend my nightlife in Jardin Deportivo but I want to know about where I may be living and if it is safe. Will I really need a car? Will I have to watch my back in the daytime as someone suggested. It's not adding up.None of my concerns are addressed on those sites. This is why i asked for more comments from people who are familiar with the area.

QUOTE]

I am going to take this as you being helpful and not suspect that you are trying to be rude. QUOTE]

As a moderator on DR1 even though my monicker doesnt say that, I am only trying to help. I know a bit about Cabarete, I have walked on the beach at night and had no problems in and around the area of the bars Onno's and LAX and westward to the Viva tangerine resort. I cannot comment on heading east as I have not done that at night. Cabarete is not very big and need for a car not really necessary, if I were to want to go elsewhere around the area I would just get a cab.

Hopefully you will get some more answers from ex pats that live in Cabarete,
Peter & Alex members here on DR1 are an excellent source of information, do a search of their name and send Peter a pm, if he is not off in Dubai or Juan Dolio , he will gladly answer your questions.

Enjoy your stay in Cabarete.

Sep 15, 2006
Well, I thank you , and yes, my guard was up. This is my first time here and I just spent the morning reading through some of the debates and responses on the board. Nonetheless, I apologize if I came off strongly and I will heed your suggestions.
Thanks.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Walking at night is an issue...

Princessa,
I gather that from your sign-on you are female... but whatever even for a male, walking at night along the beach or in dark secluded streets is not recommended, especially after partying, even in a large group. Most side streets do not have street lighting. Do not take chances taxis will run you the cost of one drink.... Do not get on moto-conchos at night as most of them will be drunker than you.

Sep 15, 2006
Thanks Suzanne,

I am glad that I am getting responses from you guys. Sometimes you need a little assurance about where you are headed. Especially when you are getting conflicting stories.

We were in Cancun last year, which is a strip also, but it was not a problem walking along the beach(didn't do it though) or the street because of the many lights, people and transport whizzing by. However, this is the Caribbean, and I know night time can be a different story on some islands. I was told about the mopeds as well and that is part of the reason why I have no intentions of driving. Now I know, and we will def. stick to taxi's.

Now my main concern is the surrounding area of the villa. Good to know it is a small town. Hope to hear that we wont be in the desolate areas. Especially since there is a huge garden. I read one to many home invasion stories on this site and I will admit that I am a bit worried.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
They told me the area was desolate, with old and empty buildings,and asked me why I would want to stay there. Hence why I now have to ask again. The place is gorgeous, so I am confused as to why there are different descriptions of its surroundings.

I would not stay there. Chances are, nothing will happen, but the area itself is run down, empty buildings and empty hotels. Having said that, I do know of people that have stayed there and enjoyed themselves. About six months ago, there was a hotel being refurbushed and if they made progress with it, perhaps the area is coming up a little.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Wish I could give you info on the specific area, however, I do not know it. Someone else may be able to help you. If however as I understand from your post, you are travelling with approx. 15 people security inside the villa should not be a problem.

Sep 15, 2006
I would not stay there. Chances are, nothing will happen, but the area itself is run down, empty buildings and empty hotels. Having said that, I do know of people that have stayed there and enjoyed themselves. About six months ago, there was a hotel being refurbushed and if they made progress with it, perhaps the area is coming up a little.

Hi Chris,
I do believe that this is the same place.Many people told me it was an old hotel (which explains the 10 rooms with ensuite bathrooms and safes) The owner converted it into a private villa, closed it down for a year to do renovations, and it reopened about two months ago. Did your friends stay in the very same villa that I mentioned or in the area? I am not too worried about the buildings being emptiedbut, are we talking ghouls walking in the street and garbage all over- run down? Or just empty buildings -run down?
I guess I'd take the empty buildings if it isn't like East NewYork bad(no offense anyone) because of how pretty the place is itself.

Sep 15, 2006
Wish I could give you info on the specific area, however, I do not know it. Someone else may be able to help you. If however as I understand from your post, you are travelling with approx. 15 people security inside the villa should not be a problem.

Thanks Suzzane. Those home invasion stories just scared me a bit and I'm from Brooklyn(ha). Especially the person shot in the throat. I keep thinking, with the description of the area , and all of that land, anyone can bypass the guard and do something. I am forgetting that there are people/staff there during the day though. (A bit more at ease). I'm more concerned with being in the garden at night, even though there is a watchman.

Maybe I am being a bit paranoid...

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
I can certainly understand how you feel, we will be there from November to March in a new condo we just purchased, and I just bought a security system with big alarm to bring down with us. Those break-ins have us all concerned, but I think that if you remain carefull and do not do things you would not do in NY (walk by yourself at night in a dark street...etc) you will be safe. If you have any concern about break-ins, while shopping for my home security system, I came accross a portable system that you hang on the door knob when travelling which has a big siren, very cheap around $20.US at Radio Shack, check it out.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Look, I cannot be sure. I have a friend who actually lived in the area for a year or so, in a house. The hotel being renovated is not small, and is the first as you come into the area, so I do not believe it is the villa that you are talking about.

What we heard, is that there is a lot of drug activity, shooting at night, and the few times that I spent time there, I did not feel comfortable or safe in the area itself. The Dominican Village behind the area seemed more rundown than others and the poverty is desperate. I was not comfortable as it is a high crime area. There may be wonderful people there, although I did not meet any.

However, people do live there. Once upon a time there was a thriving German community there. The office of a good local tour operator is there. Everything is rundown and the type of folks walking in the streets I did not like. I can unfortunately only give you my feelings, and this is not based on good facts as I spent all told about 24 hours only in the area.

It is a beautiful spot, but it seemed as if anyone who had any real interest in the area left a long time ago. If there is any rain, the area floods tremendously and you literally cannot get from the main road into the area where the houses are. There is a huge and pretty hotel AI style that was abandoned some years ago and a number of other abandoned properties. Again, I live in the Dominican Republic and I will not sleep over or be in that area after dark. Perhaps if someone develops and cleans it up, it could be different.

Sep 15, 2006
Look, I cannot be sure. I have a friend who actually lived in the area for a year or so, in a house. The hotel being renovated is not small, and is the first as you come into the area, so I do not believe it is the villa that you are talking about.

What we heard, is that there is a lot of drug activity, shooting at night, and the few times that I spent time there, I did not feel comfortable or safe in the area itself. The Dominican Village behind the area seemed more rundown than others and the poverty is desperate. I was not comfortable as it is a high crime area. There may be wonderful people there, although I did not meet any.

The fact that my mouth dropped open while reading the above....was enough to say OK! That is all you had to say. I had to close it back. Now, I have to continue my search. See, I would've taken the look of the gardens as lovely and walked right into trouble.
THANKS

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2006
I can certainly understand how you feel, we will be there from November to March in a new condo we just purchased, and I just bought a security system with big alarm to bring down with us. Those break-ins have us all concerned, but I think that if you remain carefull and do not do things you would not do in NY (walk by yourself at night in a dark street...etc) you will be safe. If you have any concern about break-ins, while shopping for my home security system, I came accross a portable system that you hang on the door knob when travelling which has a big siren, very cheap around $20.US at Radio Shack, check it out.[/QUOTE

I read about the alarms too. I never knew they had those until I read those stories. Chris' post has pretty much answered my suspicions though. I do not want to be in a resort but I want to be safe. Plus, I have 15 other people's money and safety to consider. They'd kill me themselves if we stayed in an area as he described.

Sep 15, 2006
I just saw this thread for the first time. I know the area because we have local friends that live there. There is no way that you could easily live out in Jardin Deportivo and not have some type of transportation. It is a few kilomoters east of the main beach and downtown strip of Cabarete, closer to what is known as La Boca. La Boca is the river mouth on the ocean and is a nice spot to go and get a beer and some fried fish. The locals have a party there almost every sunday The are is prone to getting very little electrical power and has a reputation for being dangerous. Not a first choice for spending a lot of time at night walking around.

That said, there are new developments going in there, a few nice AI resorts are there, and maybe the area will come back up over time. I undertand that five years ago and before that it was a very popular destination in Cabarete with the Europeans. Not so much at this time with all the run down buildings in that location. This is also one spot where very poor expats tend to live.

The latter is what I really needed to know. I am not too concerned if the buildings are empty but if the buildings are empty and draw unpleasantries(as most vacant areas do) then I know to keep it moving. It's a shame though. The place looked nice and my friends will be crushed..but they will get over it.
As for the transportation, the roads, the electricity.... see!
This is why I had to ask questions 'till I can't anymore. Better to ask aquestion and need more details, than to not know at all . I was on another board and could only get one person's perspective. My TUGger's referred me here and thank God. Although, I was seriously debating taking the weekend to check the place out.

Now, I will have to continue my search for a villa in a good neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.