Dengue.......State of Emergency?

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
What will this Dengue problem (As reported on Dr1 News today!) Have on the Tourist trade coming to this Country now and in the future?

Larry (A.K.A. Gringo)

G

gary short

What will this Dengue problem (As reported on Dr1 News today!) Have on the Tourist trade coming to this Country now and in the future?

Larry (A.K.A. Gringo)

Dengue doesn't freak people out like a malaria outbreak. I can't explain it.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yes I agree Gary, I do not think that people relate to Dengue the same as they would to Malaria..........

Otter

Nov 20, 2005
Are the instances of Dengue in a particular area right now or has it spread to many parts of the island? Are there any public announcments being made to warn and educate people? I have had friends catch Malaria and Dengue in indonesia and both sound like a touch of hell!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dengue is spread by the same mosquito that carries malaria: aedes egypti(sp?), you know, the little bugger that lifts its back legs as it drinks your blood?

Most cases are in rural areas of the south and the poorest areas of the major cities in the country-mostly Santo Domingo and Santiago--where there is a large amount of still water....spraying will help. Generally speaking it is not prevalent near the mjor tourist areas...at least where tourists are likely to roam.

Attention to the patients at the outset is necessary. Treat like any fever, lots of liquids, keep fever down, lots of liquids. Antibiotics are useless.

Prevention is cheaper than the cure: Mosquito nets and elimination of standing water anywhere near your residence.

Person to person contagion is not possible, it has to be done by the mosquito.

HB

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
Dengue is spread by the same mosquito that carries malaria: aedes egypti(sp?), you know, the little bugger that lifts its back legs as it drinks your blood?

Person to person contagion is not possible, it has to be done by the mosquito.

HB

HB I don't like to contradict a person as knowledgeable as you but dengue can be transmitted from person to person though blood contact such as blood tranfusions or any exchange of blood with an infected person.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Thanks HB

Thanks for letting people know not to freak out before their
vacations and/or time to be spent in the DR. This kind of thing
tends to get totally convoluted in the international press at
times. :D :D

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
HB I don't like to contradict a person as knowledgeable as you but dengue can be transmitted from person to person though blood contact such as blood tranfusions or any exchange of blood with an infected person.

Not according to the WHO. Blood transfusion is considered indirect contact and not person to person.

Dengue/DHF - FAQ

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
I take it back

After doing a bit more checking I found out that HB is absolutely correct about how dengue is transmitted. The part about contagion through blood contact I got from a source that I believed to be reliable. I extrapolated
the part about contagion by blood transfusion...my apologies to HB.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No, I do not think so.

Your best bet is to use the following:
White cotton socks in the evening with shoes
Either mosquito netting and insect repellant or high powered air conditioning when you sleep: especially if you tend to sleep in aout of the way places or in the poorest barrios.
Long khaki pants
Shirts with sleeves--not necessarily long.

HB

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I recall travelling to South America 15 years ago and the locals would burn a "mosquito coil" while they slept, its a green coil shaped incense that smelled horrible but was effective. Is there some form of "mosquito coil" in the DR??

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Anyone contracting dengue may suffer severe headaches, along with the awful joint/bone pain. This is to remind you that aspirins (taken for headaches) are also blood thinners, so should NOT be taken in this instance.
I have been fortunate in not contracting it, but have several friends who have. They decribed the pain as intense... Canadian Bob.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
I recall travelling to South America 15 years ago and the locals would burn a "mosquito coil" while they slept, its a green coil shaped incense that smelled horrible but was effective. Is there some form of "mosquito coil" in the DR??

Yes, they are widely available in grocery stores. They are very effective in killing mosquitoes. Canadian Bob.

british bulldog

Jan 21, 2006
bagon coils/off repelant,i used in the past,but other posters stated this contains deet ,which is very toxic,i did feel unwell using this regular so i stopped,at night i intend to use a mozi net,and when out and about ,cover up,i do live near a barrio near manganagua, st domingo;im very concerned,the mozis seem to home in on me ,like flies to crap,im not a happy bunny;anymore suggestions bring them on!!!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
british bulldog: Not to worry, you are just new meat for them. Depending on your attitude, I would suggest that you get some of those Baygon coils, and you might try "Deporte" Repelente de Insectos. It is a local product that will eat the paint off of a car but effective for keeping the little bastids away.\
A recent article says that if you use a large recepticle (steel tank or plastic drum) to store water, you might want to consider wiping the insides with pure chlorine soaked rags befor filling it up. Apparently this will kill the mosi eggs.

Keep it covered, of course.

Remove, empty, trash all objects near your place of residence that might hold water. Even a teaspoon full of water will breed hundreds of mozzis.....

One of those ultraviolate lamps will knowck off a few hundred of them too.

HB.