The Proper Steps for becoming a citizen in DR

cintrondavid

Sep 15, 2006
Hi all,

I was born and raised in Brooklyn (USA), New York. My parents were born and raised in Puerto Rico. My parents are very Puerto Rican and proud of that fact. I on the other hand, being raised in Brooklyn, NY, have been molded, influenced and/or bred in and by the USA so I am quite Americanized. Speaking spanish isn't easy for me and I rarely try to because I have such a hard time with it. I understand it provided you don?t speak so fast, I can read it although I always have to pull out my English/Spanish dictionary a lot of the times and, I can make the best tasting arroz con gandules as well as many other latin dishes.

I have visited both Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic and I have decided to immerse myself into the latin culture/language/living? and I want to do it in DR. My intention is to either build or buy a home in DR (not sure of exact city yet) hopefully within the next 2 to 3 years. I want to become a citizen of DR.

People (mainly dominicanos) here in New York tell me that DR won?t allow me to become a citizen (they never really answer my question, why?) and/or there are no opportunities in DR and that is the main reason the folks in DR are desperately trying to find a way out of the country. My dominican friends look at me like I?m nuts or out of my mind. Whatever! Anyway, I?d like to know the best possible steps for becoming a citizen. What do I need to do or know within the next 2 to 3 years to ensure a problem free flight to my new home in DR? Web links or any other information would be greatly appreciated. Comments or questions are welcomed!

Gracias! David

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
One question

Hi all,

I was born and raised in Brooklyn (USA), New York. My parents were born and raised in Puerto Rico. My parents are very Puerto Rican and proud of that fact. I on the other hand, being raised in Brooklyn, NY, have been molded, influenced and/or bred in and by the USA so I am quite Americanized. Speaking spanish isn't easy for me and I rarely try to because I have such a hard time with it. I understand it provided you don?t speak so fast, I can read it although I always have to pull out my English/Spanish dictionary a lot of the times and, I can make the best tasting arroz con gandules as well as many other latin dishes.

I have visited both Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic and I have decided to immerse myself into the latin culture/language/living? and I want to do it in DR. My intention is to either build or buy a home in DR (not sure of exact city yet) hopefully within the next 2 to 3 years. I want to become a citizen of DR.

People (mainly dominicanos) here in New York tell me that DR won?t allow me to become a citizen (they never really answer my question, why?) and/or there are no opportunities in DR and that is the main reason the folks in DR are desperately trying to find a way out of the country. My dominican friends look at me like I?m nuts or out of my mind. Whatever! Anyway, I?d like to know the best possible steps for becoming a citizen. What do I need to do or know within the next 2 to 3 years to ensure a problem free flight to my new home in DR? Web links or any other information would be greatly appreciated. Comments or questions are welcomed!

Gracias! David
Why do you feel you need citizenship in order to immerse yourself in the culture, etc. of the DR? I would think that just living there for a period of time should do it.
I think you will get a responses here as to why you want to do this at all-but thats a whole different story and you need not answer those questions as it seems to have already with your friends.
Good luck
John

cintrondavid

Sep 15, 2006
Thanks for the response and the inquiry. I know that I do not need to be a citizen in order for me to immerse myself in DR's culture. I was simply stating my intention. Obtaining citizenship can or should help to avoid certain situations and hopefully protect me and my investments. It may seem overly zealous, but I learned through my experiences that it's better to take preventive measures especially towards the powers of government. Dual citizenship will have its advantages.

cintrondavid

Sep 15, 2006
Legal system in DR totally corrupt?

If I had a car ACCIDENT and inadvertantly kill someone even if no fault of my own and that is proven, you are saying the legal system would work against me? Why would my recourse be to look for extradition? Are you saying the legal system in dr is so bad that a proven accident would still be seen as a criminal act?