Re: la bachata

V

Vanessa

Hello Rob:

I find Bachata to be more moving that merengue sometimes, because it has rhythm (excuse my spelling), and the versus have meaning. It is easy to dance also. Some of the CD's that I recommend are: the latest from Luis Vargas, Anthony Santos, and Frank Reyes, (I am sorry but I do not the names of the CD's), but in the record store you just tell them you want the latest CD. These artists are the best in bachata. A tip in dancing it: 3 steps forward and 3 steps back, and try to move your waist while your doing it. Hope you have fun!

A

Alexandra

Vanessa, your dancing tip doesn't sound correct to me, it's one, two, three, tap and while doing the tap, you lift your hip (of the tapping leg a little bit). You can dance bachata to the front, to the back, to the left or right or in combination and with turns.

I like Luis Vargas too, he has great bachata songs!

Enjoy,

Alexandra

M

Me

Re: a good guide

Rob, it sounds like you had a good guide who was really trying to introduce you to some of the great things about Dominican culture, as well as just bring you through the sites. Would you care to give him a plug and tell us who your guide was, and what area he serves?

R

rob

Our guide was supposed to be strictly for getting us into Mao to see our sponsored child and he is employed by the relief organization that serves Santiago and surrounding areas. Unfortunately, I cannot give out his name (I would love to because he was the nicest man and was typically Dominican: giving, warm, and receptive to all of my questions) since when I accidentally took his picture with my sponsored child, he told me that he cannot let the organization find out that he got in a picture since that is against their rules. He gave us tours of Santiago and even gave me the magazines from Listin so I could learn more about the DR. I wish I could give his name out because he was truly our guide, but also our friend, but I don't wish to jeopardize his job. I came out of the DR with so many new friends. The DR is TRULY GREAT COUNTRY because of the Dominican people. Already planning my return trip to Mao and thanks to all for the bachata info.

C

CES

"was typically Dominican" (Rob)

iHola Rob!

My travel experiences in the DR certainly parallel your description of the time you spent with your guide, many is the time that a complete stranger would say or do some thing to make me feel right at home amongst old friends. Also I would like so say that the same is true for the Dominicans that I've met through email correspondence with some of the DR1, Bravenet gang . . .

Best Regards . . . CES

PS: My wife is racking her brain to think of the poem info. . .

A

Anna

Rob just wondering what you would pay a guide

Thnaks Anna

N

Natasha

Re: la bachata - not easy in my case

As a DR born and raised Dominican, I find bachata "trickier" to dance to. Merengue is of course easier. But then again, I find dancing a Perico Ripiao a riot...talk about FAST dancing!(LOL) I am glad you find it easy, because if I go without dancing a bachata for some time, I get, let's say, discoordinated.

Regards, Natasha

R

rob

Anna, since our guide was provided through the relief organization through which we sponsor our child, our guide refused any gifts or payment. We always paid for his bus ride fair in and out of Mao and took him outto eat twice, but he would not hear of money or gifts.