Physical Therapy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My wife has had problems for many years with a knee she tore up in a skiing accident more than 20 years ago and may now need a knee replacement. If she does, I'm told that post-opration therapy is very important.

What are the options in the Cabarete-Sosua-Puerto Plata area. We know about the one in the hospital by the guagua stop as you go into Puerto Plata but are hoping there is an alternative to that.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
My wife has had problems for many years with a knee she tore up in a skiing accident more than 20 years ago and may now need a knee replacement. If she does, I'm told that post-opration therapy is very important.

What are the options in the Cabarete-Sosua-Puerto Plata area. We know about the one in the hospital by the guagua stop as you go into Puerto Plata but are hoping there is an alternative to that.
Actually, although I have seen that there are a few private Physical Therapists in Puerto Plata, I was very satisfied with the care give me at the Institute of Physical Therapy adjacent to the main hospital. I was referred there by my private surgeon at Bournigal and was initially a little hesitant to go to the public hospital for therapy. The PT Institute is very large and fairly well equipped, although the equipment is a bit dated. The Physical Therapists were excellent. They are all very thorough, yet very careful not to inflict more discomfort than was necessary. You also can't beat the price. They charged me, as a non-Dominican, only RD$80 per 1 hour therapy session which included many therapy modalities. I really would recommend giving them a try.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Howmar, how recent is your experience.

When my wife went there 3 or 4 years ago, almost all the therapists at that time were in training and not certified.

If your experience is recent, she may very well go back. Her only concern was the inexperience of the therapists who worked on her at that time.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Grahame has been there too, in 2006. Don't think he had any complaints about the standard of work when the therapist was working.........just slightly irked when she went away & forgot all about you........;) He also had a big strong woman do a domiciliary (no smart comments!) but she was a lot more expensive.

Pearl1

Aug 29, 2005
Ken you and your wife may find this site to be informative with regards to pre and post physical therapy exercises for a total knee replacement. Depending on where you live in the world. I would get a couple of orthopods opinions before deciding on the total knee repair. They are very close in Canada in their research to grow a new articular surface of a joint to repair any of the wear and tear on the joint surface. I guess I am safe to assume that ligaments and meniscus and tendons have been repaired since she blew her knee up? I am a physical therapist that blew her knee up in a sporting accident 30 years ago and would, as only the last resort, get a knee replacement. Just my opinion and not knowing her medical history:) Joint Replacement - Information on joint replacement and joint replacement surgery

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for info, Pearl, I'll check it out.

Lambada, thanks for the recent input with respect to the therapists.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hey Ken,
Earlier this year the cost of a session with the Rehabilitation Clinic alongside the public hospital was RD $100. This involved (for me) 20 minutes with the 'Heat' compress, 10 minutes of therapy/massage & 15 minutes of exercises!

A doctor's prescription will give them the details of what treatment & exercises the patient should get - these can be 'ammended' as the patient feels necessary to cover other aches & pains!!

The SENIOR girls were trained - Friday was training day in Santo Domingo so NOT the day to go for a session!

There is one OTHER possibility - an Austrian masseur/acupuncture (not needles!!)/manipulation guy who works at Sun Village. Cost is around RD $700 per session of one hour, but he IS good at what he does. Further, he comes to Sosua on Tuesday every week. If you want to follow that link more, PM me & I will send you the details! ~ Grahame.

Alfred

Oct 12, 2011
Hmm i m little bit im want to add one more thing no doubt physical therapy is quite expensive and bit lengthy too but as u know very well it got very wonderful results rather than other treatment physical therapy is the best treatment..........