Searching for DR 1-How did I get here??

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I can't remember what I was searching/looking for when I found DR1 and joined. Now I am curious about other members and how they arrived here. What key words did you use? What were you looking for at that time? And last but not least - what do you think brings the newcomer here? (I'm sure Robert can answer this question from his data information)

JOHN

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
A friend of mine convinced me to get on the internet so in July 1999 I did. I think I was searching for anything on Sosua and the DR in general and DR1 kept coming up. I finally signed up asked a few questions about how things were in Sosua and the rest is history. The first person I met was Trina. We wrote back and forth and when she was coming through Toronto on her way to get married, my daughter and I went to meet met. ;)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I think I was looking for car rentals info in the DR and bingo DR1 was one of the choices. Been hooked ever since.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I wrote articles for the Santo Domingo News for a few years. After Dolores sold the paper, I knew she started a website on the DR but didn't have a computer until we moved off our sailboat and into our Sosua condo in 2000. Initially I didn't much like the board because there was much more flame baiting than there is now. But after the format was changed to what we have at present, I became an active member.

I know there are occasional grumbles from some posters about censorship, etc., but if you had been on the board back in those days, you would appreciate the control that is exercised now.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I started reading articles on DR1 about 3 years ago because I wanted to go to DR to learn about Dominican people and culture. I read other DR related sites, but this one contains the most information and is also the most entertaining.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
i'd been traveling to DR for many years but last year i decided i wanted more info on things do in my area and the people around it. i started searching the net and the only website that kept popping up for DR info was DR1. i read posts for a while and then finally decided to join. i like the site b/c of the wealth of information found here. i enjoy reading and learning on this site.

boricua_girl

Sep 5, 2006
For the last five years DR1 kept coming up in various searches that I conducted when looking for resort information in the POP area. hen most recently I was looking for the title of a song in google and a link to DR1 came up where a member was also looking for a song they had heard at an airport and here I am! Needless to say I am totally addicted to the message boards and find myself signing in every single day to read about what's new in DR and to acquaint myself with other members.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
I Googled smunny/fart, got Rick and Gary, still here... .

BRAHMA!

Last edited:

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
Surfing

I had just come back from the DR and I was hell bent on coming back and doing community work and was looking for information on the Dominican Republic and its history. I googled the Dominican Republic and DR1 was the first site to come up, so I clicked. Although, it took me some time to join the message board, as I thought it was only for Dominican people at first glance. For a while I just read the news because I missed the DR so much, and read up on living and all that. The message board was the last thing I looked at on the whole site.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I came across DR1 while trying to find a non-AI resort about 2 years ago. I did not join the message boards right away, but I read them often.

Last September I joined, but still did not start posting until recently. Now I'm addicted...

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Wish I had found it earlier

I was doing research on the education system here in the DR and came across DR1 in one of my searches. Joined up and very quickly posted my question and point of view. CC responded back and due to his response I almost quit thinking of never coming back, (I think it was newbie initiation.)

Stayed with it though and am so happy I did. No thanks to you Cccccccccccccc. Hehehe

Rick

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
CC responded back and due to his response I almost quit thinking of never coming back, (I think it was newbie initiation.)

Stayed with it though and am so happy I did. No thanks to you Cccccccccccccc. Hehehe

Rick

That's too funny Rick I see you joined in 2003 by that time not only had things calm down but ccccc was a mod :laugh: you should have been here back in 99 to the end of 2001, wild wild west. ;) It was like a western, fun to watch but you wouldn't want to be in the crossfires.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
A friend of mine convinced me to get on the internet so in July 1999 I did. I think I was searching for anything on Sosua and the DR in general and DR1 kept coming up. I finally signed up asked a few questions about how things were in Sosua and the rest is history. The first person I met was Trina. We wrote back and forth and when she was coming through Toronto on her way to get married, my daughter and I went to meet met. ;)

I found the site the same way Anna did. I still consider Anna one of the greatest friends I have. And she's right, the board used to be way worse than it is now, but there was only Robert and Dolores moderating it at that time. Now it's a much better and friendlier place to be.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hmmmmm.......

I had to think about that but I think I googled. I know I was going on my first trip to the DR back in 2000 so I was trying to find information on the DR. I must say DR1 has given me a lot of info for all my travels :) I even took all the sankie warnings with me lol See some do listen :laugh: ;)

May 31, 2005
I just came back from a vacation last year to the DR and I was already planning my next one. I was searching on altavista for resorts and things to do in different parts of the country.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I was a subscriber to the print version of the Santo Domingo News. When they notified me saying they were discontinuing the Newspaper, they sent me a link to the online news and the forum.

I'm not sure what year that was, but I'm fairly certain it preceded the 2002 Join Date shown in my profile.