Riu Merengue to Sosua

MaryLynn

Sep 17, 2006
Can anyone tell me the best way to get to Sosua from the Riu Merengue and back.....bus or taxi? and which are the most reliable.......
Also, which of the tour companies has the best excursions and prices.....

Thanks

Gregory8

Oct 15, 2006
Bus is cheaper, taxi is faster. Do you want to spend 1/2 day on the bus or on the beach? I learned VERY quickly that hiring a car and driver outside the resort gates costs half or less than one on the hotel grounds, (I got cheated on my first day). Remember to offer half of what they say it costs or you'll spoil it for the rest of us. If they say no, start to walk away to the next driver. You'll be surprised how fast half is acceptable. (and that's double what the locals pay for a ride so the driver is more than willing to take you). I was paying 1000 pesos for the whole day, fuel included. Just make sure the driver speaks a little english and never pay them anything until they drop you off back at the end of the day. Make SURE they agree to this BEFORE you get in the car! Otherwise you may be left stranded or looking for a return taxi. For those 1000 pesos I went to the Castillo de la Isabella way past Luperon for the day, sat several hours enjoying beers with the locals (the driver stayed sober) and returned about 6pm. No problem and I could stop for a photo wherever I wanted.

I also met some good local friends in the drivers. 99% of them are great, just trying to make a living. And if you could get paid double for your work, wouldn't you?

Have fun!!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Don't really expect to get a taxi for RD$ 1,000 for the day with the fuel prices currently about RD$ 140/gallon. Actually. public transport form Cofresi to Sosua is both efficient and cheap. From the main road in front of the hotel take to "C" guagua to Puerto Plata. They run every few minutes and costs 10 pesos/person, about a 15 minute ride. Get off at the Public Hospital. At the Public Hospital either take the Puerto Plata-Rio San Juan guagua to Sosua for 20 pesos or take the Puerto Plata-Sosua public taxi for 30 pesos. About 25 minutes to Sosua. See this post for a previous explanation to Cabarete, which is 10 minutes past Sosua. http://www.dr1.com/forums/361636-post15.html