The Other Fair

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The Other Fair (La Otra Feria) is gearing up again for a reunion on Sept 24 in parque Eugenio Maria de Hostos in SD. Tomorrow there will be a concert in Casa de Teatro in the colonial area of the city.

This is the group that wants to show the "real" situation the country is going through, and not the rosy picture the government potraits. We shall see what happens. Last reunion was very interesting indeed.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=17165

In Spanish. Click on "Protesta Civica"
CLAVE DIGITAL - DIARIO DIGITAL DOMINICANO DE NOTICIAS

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Did any board member go to this?

I stopped in. It was uneventful.

They did not draw much of a crowd and mostly seemed to be mingling with each other. Some of the displays were decent but most were pretty lame.

My favorite tent was the one that praised Cuba on one wall and promoted free speech on the other. Contradiction?

Regardless, it was good to see some semi-organized opposition/activism.

Just my two pesos,

Scandall

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Thanks for your personal observations. I could comment on how 'free' is free speech in the non-Cuban world but it would be off-topicQUOTE]

It would be way off-topic and quite a stretch. No democracy is perfect but it is not against the law to oppose the government. Journalists and citizens are not charged with being "anti-revolutionary" and then jailed.

I'd be more than happy to continue the discussion on PM.

Scandall

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Thanks for your personal observations. I could comment on how 'free' is free speech in the non-Cuban world but it would be off-topic so instead I'll just add a couple of newspaper reports about the Fair................;)

El Nacional

List?n Diario (Edici?n Digital) Bienvenido

According to the two papers reviews they seem favorable to the fair especially El National. Some of these topics need to be discussed and confronted.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Some of these topics need to be discussed and confronted.

For sure! And soon, before the gulf between haves and have-nots becomes a chasm to the extent that there is no meeting ground......my impression is inroads were being made a few years back.........and then we had Hippo! I'd also agree that it is nice to see intelligent activism as opposed to the more visceral kind. Particularly liked the reference in El Caribe to the CONAMUCA exhibit where there was audience participation...........;) http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo_multimedios.aspx?id=100503&guid=19BCF69DF57441259632F83C5E83C13F&Seccion=63