to give or not to give Passport #

soccersupastarr

Sep 14, 2006
I was wondering if it is normal business for a hotel to request your passport # when you make a reservation from abroad?
I have been to many countries and not had that experience, but perhaps this is normal for DR or even this particular hotel?
Cheers.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
well, it's been my experience that when traveling in Europe they require a passport# in order to check in. as for Dr, i've never stayed in a hotel, but i have been asked for my passport for just about everything else. for some reason, they will never take any other form of ID other than the passport, unless you have a dominican cedula ofcourse. yes, strange, but true.
hope others on the board can shed some light on this.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I have never been asked for my passport number when making a reservation but it is always required when checking in.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I've never had a hotel in the DR request my passport number when making a reservation.

I've stayed in about two dozen different hotels in the DR, and most will ask for your passport number when you fill out the registration card. A few may have asked to see my passport to verify the registration card, and one hotel makes a copy of my passport every time I stay there.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
The only time besides the airport I have been asked for my passport was at check-in at an AI.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
In some countries the passport number is used a lot, in others not. It is not common 'in Europe' in general as someone wrote. But for instance in Spain it is, not only for hotels, but for almost any form one has to fill in to include the passport number and people there usually know it by heart. Although I don't remember being asked for the number when making a reservation in the DR, it sure appears to be more often asked for in forms than back home.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'd rather give my passport number than a credit card number. Not sure what harm they could do with a passport number but they can have a lot of fun with your credit card number. ;)

Or are they asking for both when making a reservation?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
That's funny-I've never been asked for any type of ID at any hotel I've stayed in. This procedure is new to me. But they do ask for the green up front.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
maybe they run your passport through Interpol or something. i just had this experience in Costa Rica, they asked for my passport number....

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
As a passport is not required for travel to the DR from America till 8 Jan 2007 I have a difficult time understanding any request for same by the Dominican hotels. If you are stipulating that you are coming from a country that requires a passport for entry to the DR then I can understand their asking.

I have stayed at a few hotels here over the years, with and without reservations, and have never been asked for my passport or its number. I can see all that maybe changing next year.

Rick