Gifts for staff

ebabs

Sep 20, 2006
Hello, we will be staying at the Sunscape in Punta Cana over Christmas holidays. I plan to monetarily tip the staff daily. However, I would like to take gifts for the staff/their family as Christmas presents. Because I yearn to be a friendly American instead of a friendly stupid American, do you have any suggestions? I was thinking baseball cards, jerseys, batting gloves etc for the young boys. What is good for young girls? And should I just stick to extra money for the staff members? Thanks for your help. PS This is my 1st trip to the DR and the first forum I've ever been on (gulp).

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Maybe this thread will help you

Hello, we will be staying at the Sunscape in Punta Cana over Christmas holidays. I plan to monetarily tip the staff daily. However, I would like to take gifts for the staff/their family as Christmas presents. Because I yearn to be a friendly American instead of a friendly stupid American, do you have any suggestions? I was thinking baseball cards, jerseys, batting gloves etc for the young boys. What is good for young girls? And should I just stick to extra money for the staff members? Thanks for your help. PS This is my 1st trip to the DR and the first forum I've ever been on (gulp).
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/53788-appropriate-gifts-my-friend-rd.html
vince 1956

ebabs

Sep 20, 2006
Please disregard......

....my post. As I dove deeper into this fabulous website, I've found many good ideas - and some other ideas...... so I apologize for repeating the question. Thanks. I'll get better at this, I promise.

brianm

Nov 23, 2004
The most appreciation we received was for simple toiletries and items such as Tylenol and pain relievers, as we have been told many times that these are generally too expensive for many families. Although not really considered great Christmas gifts in general, they will be appreciated. Just remember, you need to sign-off on any gifts, so that they aren't considered stolen in where they'll lose their jobs.

freekofweek

Feb 22, 2005
American choc bars are appreciated

I have found that almost all the resort staff really appreciate the small choc. candy bars. You should be able to get them after Halloween on sale, I think you can get a package of 10 for about $1. Where else can you make 10 people happy for 1 buck !! Snickers, M&M's, KitKat are the usually favorites !!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i've alway stuck with toiletries (everyone loves the scented soaps like dove, irish spring, palmolive, etc. and candy. i understand from my dr1 folks that the money is not a good idea but acceptable...

Wazoo2

Oct 10, 2006
I have a question about this too -- I've been told to bring small gifts (chocolate bars, etc.) to leave for the maid, etc. at the resort. Any suggestions as to what would be most appreciated?

Thanks

ahogachivo

Oct 5, 2006
girls love purses and shoes guys anything that deals with baseball specially shirts since them became bragging rights for the whole years tipping is always good be be cautios since this can be a 22 catch enjoy ur stay and have fun, if you are friendly with the staff you will be untuchable and will get a nick name sign of acceptance

ebabs

Sep 20, 2006
Gift of cosmetics?

Many thanks for all your great advice and ideas. I'll be on the lookout for baseball shirts and ladies' purses. Another question: I have access to name-brand, unopened, packaged lipsticks and eyeshadows. Would it be appropriate if I offered these as little thank-you gifts? I don't want to offend anyone. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

canadiangirl858

Oct 17, 2006
When i have gone to DR, I have taken chocolate, toiletries, and shoes(the women love the shoes) I have also taken things for the staff for their children. Go to the dollar store you can get great things for the kids. games, paper, crayons, etc. they appreciate anything however small.:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

bullet

Nov 17, 2006
Think you people ,think.!!...a person cleans a room 7 days a week and has say 12 rooms to clean ,,,,,Can you imagine how much Buck store junk she would have ??and how many fake smiles she has to give you to make you happy that she is beholding,,,,,give the lady CASH ,,,,she is capable of buying her her own junk ...and yes there are a few exceptions she cant buy but she will do just fine with "CASH" ,,you Buck Store people ..jeeeez

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
What is the right way to "sign off" on a gift to the chamber maid? Is a handwritten note along with the gift enough?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If she is attractive, it is always a nice gesture to offer to help her clean the 'ole plumbing on your last day! On a more serious note, HAND her the cash personally or the bellboy or plumber may get her gift.

:bunny:

tambo'