Short-term work opportunities

moto

Sep 21, 2006
Hi Everyone

I am entertaining the thought of coming to the DR for two-three months next summer but I would like to work while I am there. I am well educated but wonder what types of opportunities I might have for some fulfilling work. I'm not looking to make a ton of money as I am a realist and understand that I am looking at a 3rd world country, but I would like to make something modest to keep me and my lifestyle funded while I am there (in addition to the money I plan to bring with me).

My educational background includes:
BA Psychology
B Ed Adult Education
Business Certificate
TESL Certificate.

My professional background includes working in large corporations on the business-support side of things as well as corporate training.

Given I have a degree in education and a TESL certificate, teaching English seems to be the most logical career path to pursue. My Spanish is good, I can understand it well and I speak it well enough to get my point across. I haven't pin-pointed one area to live in... I have been to the DR several times but I'm not set on one city or area.

I know this has been discussed at great lengths and I have done the search, but I am more specifically looking for something short term. As I would be required to take a leave of absence from my job here (which I am not willing to quit at this time) I would have to keep my visit to the months of June - August. Are there short term opportunities available? When should I start looking?

My motive is simply to have an opportunity to learn outside of Canada in a country that I am familiar with and enjoy!

Thanks in advance for your helpful responses.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You shouldn't have trouble getting a job teaching English somewhere, but be prepared to cover most, if not all, of your expenses with your own funds. These jobs do not pay enough to finance even the most basic life style you would be comfortable with.

moto

Sep 21, 2006
Thanks for the information and the welcome. I should clarify that I would be looking at this as an opportunity to get some exposure to the country in a capacity different than I have had in the past.

Is it best to come to the DR and then find an opportunity to volunteer or provide private lessons (as opposed to searching from Canada)?

thanks!

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Teaching is a great way to get to know the local culture, and a quick way to feel connected with the real folks. Not the usual tourist experience. Good opportunity to make friends with the other teachers, mostly Dominicans. Short term is not a problem, and about 50% of new teachers leave after 2 months anyway, though if you tell them this they will not hire you, so be vague about your committment. Summer is not the best time to teach as many classes are suspended for the vacation, and even private students are scarce. One possibility is an English Language Summer Camp, but many teachers grab these spots in order to keep working, as hours are in short supply, and teachers get paid by the hour. As others have said the money is probably not worth the effort, we're talking US$7/hr, and that's a good rate. You should have absolutely no trouble finding Volunteer opportunities, Plenty of NGOs, churches and community programs would be happy to have someone with your skills.