DR Newbie on the serious track

IFR_Pilot

Sep 22, 2006
Hello all,

I'm a US citizen who is seriously considering residency in the DR. I would appreciate insightful conversation with 'those in the know'. In short - I am fortunate in my profession that I can 'reside' almost anywhere, and I am at the point in my life that I am getting serious about becoming an ex-pat. I think its important to mention that I'm very well travelled throughout most of the inhabited world.

I have done a lot of research on the DC (and several other locations). Now I am in process of planning a 'scouting trip' to the DC, probably within the next 6 weeks. I will only be able to spend about 5 nights max this trip and would like to get a good overview.

So, first I would appreciate any itinery suggestions. My goal of course is to determine if the DC suits me as a potential 'home'.

What I'm looking for? :

- A residence location that benefits from the relative 'good buy' condition in the DC, yet is overall safe and can endure my absence on a regular basis for several weeks at a time.

- A location that has solid potential for property value appreciation - increased demand. I'm looking for the long term here, but like any other property acquisition would like to treat it as a 'starter home' in the DC and upgrade within 3-5 years to a higher end property. So my first acquisition would most likely be a 'condo' type - prefer 2 bedrooms.

- I am single, but am not doing this to 'find a wife', however tips on I would like insight places to visit where I could get a feel for a 'normal' singles place - and am less likely to run into professional prostitutes.

- Language: Unfortunately my Spanish isn't thebest. I do speak fluent French, English (obviously) and my German is So-so. I do have the knack for learning language, especially via osmosis. Any comments there? Should i choose to do something serious in the DC I would naturally enroll in a Spanish language submersion program.

Well, basically I'm looking for any insight at this point. And I wouldn't mind finding some ex-pats to meet up with while I visit. So, if you can take some time to help me out I would appreciate it. if nothing else I would be happy to buy you a few Presidente.

Ciao

Chris

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
IFR Pilot,

Let me take this opportunity to welcome you to DR1. Please note that the proper abbreviation is DR and not DC. Not trying to be picky but as it's the Dominican Republic and not the District of Columbia.....well.

As it is so late at night you won't get many replies till later in the day so just hang in there.

I would suggest that you use the search function in the upper blue bar just right of center and type in that which might come to mind and click go. Many people have had the same dreams and desires as you concerning our little paradise island and have asked the same questions. As you wait for answers from our helpful board members I invite you to search around our board to help get you statred.

Rick

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yur options go from Punta Cana/Cap Cana to Puerto Plata.
There are wonderful properties all over the place.
If you go "high-end", then the eastern shores should do youfine. At the cocktail circuit of either Punta Cana or Cap Cana you will meet the "créme de la créme" and avoid the professional hookers. Supposing, of course, that you have some "couth" of your own.

In Santo Domingo, things would be different since most social activities center around friends and family. (And this is true for most of the cities and towns in the DR)

So, a long term committtment to the area would be the way to go.

As regards to safety, there is a ton of information on that point in these pages....it certainly depends on where you locate....

HB

IFR_Pilot

Sep 22, 2006
LOL, I was up too late... yes, D.R. NOT DC (horrible place really DC!).

IFR Pilot,

Let me take this opportunity to welcome you to DR1. Please note that the proper abbreviation is DR and not DC. Not trying to be picky but as it's the Dominican Republic and not the District of Columbia.....well.

As it is so late at night you won't get many replies till later in the day so just hang in there.

I would suggest that you use the search function in the upper blue bar just right of center and type in that which might come to mind and click go. Many people have had the same dreams and desires as you concerning our little paradise island and have asked the same questions. As you wait for answers from our helpful board members I invite you to search around our board to help get you statred.

Rick

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Welcom IFR Pilot, you have come to Right place for info, As Dominican Im glad that you are thinking to move here, so read the post about it here will help you a lot to make the right choice.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I hope you will not make an perminant IFR landing in DR without knowing a few things in advance. Come here for a couple of months and travel within the country. Meet the people and see what you are getting into. This is the only way all your questions will be answered.
AZB