Tipping in the D.R.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
I'm trying to figure out what are some customary tips for the following service industry employees:

Tour Guide
Hotel Cleaning Staff
Bell Captain

What are some examples of what you've given?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i give 10-15 % which some people say is high considering their economy. i'm a sucker for a smiling waitress.

i ususally give the ladies that clean my room 5 bucks a day. again a smile is worth 5 bucks.

bell captain, 5 bucks (coming to and leaving)

i'm sure you'll get much cheaper advice on this subject but sometimes i hear tipping a lot is showing off and not appreciated. it's almost insulting to some.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
i give 10-15 % which some people say is high considering their economy. i'm a sucker for a smiling waitress.

i ususally give the ladies that clean my room 5 bucks a day. again a smile is worth 5 bucks.

bell captain, 5 bucks (coming to and leaving)

i'm sure you'll get much cheaper advice on this subject but sometimes i hear tipping a lot is showing off and not appreciated. it's almost insulting to some.

Kyle, you are tipping these people the same or more as their DAILY salary. They are smiling at you not because they like you, it is because they think you are a fool.

Larry

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
When I started to travel frequently to the DR I once almost tipped a guy 500 pesos. My friends almost smacked me right then and there on the table LOL They gave the poor guy 50 pesos. I felt so bad. He had provided excellent service. With time I learned my lesson though.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Those are definitely high tips for the D.R. Kyle. I guess I was looking for more of what is common as a gratuity for these employees.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
To be more specific, I've been given the figures of RD $10 a bag for the bell captain and RD$30 for the hotel cleaning staff. As for the tour guide, that I have no idea.

canbird

Sep 18, 2006
I have always tipped depending on how much I appreciated the service. I gave a Havana Cab Driver $50.00 USD for a tip last year. It was equivalent to 4 months salary. I have also left nothing when the service was bad. I dont believe tipping should be subject to anything other than satisfaction.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I have always tipped depending on how much I appreciated the service. I gave a Havana Cab Driver $50.00 USD for a tip last year. It was equivalent to 4 months salary. I have also left nothing when the service was bad. I dont believe tipping should be subject to anything other than satisfaction.

That might make sense to you but you are thinking along the lines of someone who comes from a culture of tipping. Tipping is not a large part of this culture and philantrophy is practically non-existant here. What is seen as generous in the United States is not interpreted that way here because that kind of generousity does not exist. Instead, tipping someome four months salary as you did makes the recipient think you are an absolute moron.

I know it sounds strange but the thinking is backward here. When I first moved here and I began frequenting certain restaurants, I decided I would tip well because I was planning to be a regular customer in these places and I assumed that good tips would translate into better service upon my return. NOPE. The service got worse! The waitstaff in these places gave me noticibly pooper service and then I realized that their thought process was "dont worry about that fool of a gringo, he will throw 20% on top of the check anyway". The people who treated them rudely and whistled when they wanted something and left no tip got better service than me.

What you are also doing by tipping so much is reinforcing that belief that gringos are rich and as a result, we become even more of a target for "increased gringo prices, scams, robberies, etc.

FWIW.

Larry

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
so then we should be cheap and will be accepted ? i hear a lot of dominican workers complain about europeans being cheap...we always have a good laugh...thanks Larry for identifying yourself as a cheap bastard...LOL

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
so then we should be cheap and will be accepted ? i hear a lot of dominican workers complain about europeans being cheap...we always have a good laugh...thanks Larry for identifying yourself as a cheap bastard...LOL

Hi Kyle,

In your original post, you stated that you tip 10 to 15% in restaurants because you are a "sucker for a smiling waitress". I stated than when I first moved here I was tipping 20%. But you claim I identified myself as a cheap bastard :). No problem.

Kyle, the difference between me and you is I LIVE here. I have been through the culture shock stage and I have a much better insight into living and dining out here than you do.

The great thing about this message board is that travelers such as yourself can log on here and get invaluable information from those of us who live here. Many are smart enough to listen; some are not.

Kyle, next time you take a trip down here, drop me a PM. I'll take you out for a beer, you can leave the tip :).

Have a good day, wherever you are.

Larry

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I'll never tip anyone ever again. I remember tipping cleaning ladies and the next day getting no towels. I also returned to a hotel to tip someone and they just took the money and did'nt even say thank you. Makes you wonder, and it does sound cruel but poor people for the most part have absolutely no manners.

I even had a friend of mine tell me how she hates it when tourists come to her country and overtip because it is not considered necessary.

So treat the hired help as such because if you're nice to them they''ll think you're a pendejo.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
You guys are already paying a 10% gratuity, it's included in your bill, Look at the receipt where is says "ley 10%" That is your tip. you are also tipping the government 16% sales tax. If you tip another 15% after that you are tipping a total of.... alot.

In restaurants that do not cater to tourists a decent tip is whatever change is left over from the transaction, within reason. i.e. if your bill is 1850 and you pay with a 2000 peso bill, leave 50 pesos on the table unless the service was excellent and the other 100 if it was. Remeber you have already tipped around 185 whether you wanted to or not.

If you tip the same person too much too freuently, instead of getting a loyal assistant who gives good service you will end up with a lazy lambon who thinks you are in love with him/her and they can get away with anything because of it.

Learned this lesson the hard way several times.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I can understand peoples point of view on not tipping if the service deteriorates or if in fact they are on a tight budget. I base my tips upon the situation. I have tipped waiters who have treated us worse the next day and they were left no tip this time. I also have bartenders and waiters who look for me and go far out of their way to provide me with FAR better service than most other customers. Those people I will still tip.If the service was good I dont feel it is wrong to give a tip. If they think your moron and try to get over on you now they get no tip next time.

Im on vacation and if someone is going to make my vacation that much better throwing them an extra $5 or $10 is worth it to me.

canbird

Sep 18, 2006
I tip well for good service. In the restaurant instance you describe I would leave nothing.
I am an all or nothing tipper :)
If you tip large for bad or average service, the people will think you a fool. That makes sense.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i'm not really picky when it comes to service so maybe i am a bit heavy on the tips..anyway 9-14 nov is my return date to sosua....if you need a tip see me !!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
The following was posted in this thread and was dragged to the thread which I split from here; it should have remained. Please treat it as a posting and not a quote.

The poster is Rick Snyder.

Gregg
Mod.

Tjmurray,

Welcome to DR1, your usually friendly information board for everything DR related.

It has been my experience from living here 10 years that an about average monthly income for a Dominican worker would be in the neighborhood of 4,000 pesos a month. This equates to about US$122 a month. Breaking it down further it would be 1,000 pesos a week,6 day week, (US$30) and 167 pesos a day (US$5.50). This is what they live on each month without tips and if they receive no tips they are still able to survive on this amount. Anything they receive above this amount is the proverbial icing on the cake.

Before anyone jumps on my figures remember that I am talking about an average amount and there are those jobs that pay more but at the same time there are many jobs that pay less so I chose 4,000.

If you should tip a fiver to your maid you have just doubled her daily wages. If she has 10 more clients like you she has raised her daily income by 600%. By her normal survival standards she is now on easy street and it has been my experience that the production from workers in this position deteriorates due to their determination that this is normal procedure of tourists and do not equate it to services rendered. This is just their way of thinking and I don?t think it will ever change.

The same mentality is apparent in a restaurant. Dominican law states that a 26% tax is to be added to the bill. 16% for the state and 10% for services rendered. Some restaurants obey this law and some don?t. Some restaurants give the 10% to their staff, which includes cooks, and some don?t. In some restaurants any tip you leave on the table is to be divided up among the entire staff. With this in mind then what is the possibility you will receive excellent service from your waitress if she knows that her service tip is going to be split among the entire staff verses if she knew that you where going to tip her away from the eyes of the owner or other employees.

Having rambled on with all my nonsense then let me say that I hope you enjoy yourself here in paradise and advise you not to go overboard with your tipping. If you really want to make a difference here I would suggest that you take some of your excess money and buy some pencils and notebooks of paper and hand them out to the children in the streets that you see going to or coming from school.

Rick

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Dominican employees probably don't expect the locals to tip but they are probably used to tourists tipping. When I visit I always tip, because they make so little. I worry more about tipping in the smaller establishments than in the high class restaurants, there I just do the required amount and I have never thought of tipping in the hotels, maybe I should have left a few pesos.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
M.A.R, according to the previous posts i think i may have made a grave mistake tipping so much...the post by Rick sort of brings things into perspective for me....