If anyone knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
...Coz I'm a "wanna know" type of person:

When I was in the DR I came across this stuff called "Turtle oil". The rest was much in Spanish but I gather it was indeed "summit from turtles" mixed with water and such like...My question: What is that used for?? It was along side sun-cream and skin care products per-say - but not too very sure if a sun-burn remedy or for use in general skin care as it goes...:ermm: WOULD SAY (turtles being turtles) I didn't give much thought (prior to seeing this stuff) that they HAD much "oil" to offer!!!!:eek: BUT I guess I was wrong there!!:paranoid: :paranoid: :paranoid: ANY-HO! Be interested to know what such a product is used for if anybody knows...Sorry all, I'm just "one of those" with a million questions until I'm happy that I understand!!!:ninja: :ninja: :ninja: Emma;)

G

gary short

Buying turtle oil is up there on the taboo list, behind, slurping shark fin soup, wearing coral jewelry, using ivory for anything and owning baby seal fur mukluks.

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
I didn't buy it Gary - just saw it! KIND of wonder what use it be though to bottle it even :)ermm: ) - Tiz a turtle...hardly the most "moist and oily" of all animals after all! I would GUESS (for it even to be bottled in the first place) DR people feel it of use - I bet sun remedy/skin tonic as it stands!!
I dunno if it is taboo or otherwise (sure as hell on sale in the Casa Marina resort shop!!!) - can't say I fancied it but didn't ask anyone else there...am I right with the skin thing out of curiosity??? :ermm: Emma

Edit to add: What the hell is a "mukluks"??? - Though confident I don't have one of them OR turtle oil!!! ;)

Last edited:
G

gary short

Turtle oil sold in other parts is apparently a moisturizer.

If you frequent any Euro ski resorts you'll see old, useto be hot 30 years ago gals wearing furry white boots made from seal pups, gleefully clubbed by baseball bat wielding Newfies.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Yes Mukluks

Turtle oil sold in other parts is apparently a moisturizer.

If you frequent any Euro ski resorts you'll see old, useto be hot 30 years ago gals wearing furry white boots made from seal pups, gleefully clubbed by baseball bat wielding Newfies.

I remember those...that's an Inuit/Eskimo word for boots. You won't need those in the DR!

Ewww turtle oil? If it's a no-no, why are they selling it in the DR? Just curious.

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
I DO NOT ski (I once adorned a dry ski-slope minus seal fur boots and more "fell" down the slope than anything else!!!)...Is a "mukluk" some wierd ski-boot??? Escaped me in my teens (31 on tuesday!)

I be right with the "skin thing" then? - Given that it was stocked next to the sun-cream guessed as much but didn't 'know'. TY for that - unless I "know" I can't explain it and THAT bugs me as I teach. Guess I ask my kids to question and so I do too - though I appreciate that it seems cr*p questions to other adults...Me practise what I preach at least!!!;)

ATB! Emma :)

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
Gary - don't mess with me now (I don't want to go to go to bed tonight an for my brain to explode in sleep for pondering what a "mukluk" is!!!:( )...Other than that I believe the "moisturizer" thing as it WAS INDEED stocked in "skin care" (turtle beating wrinklies as some clearly be!!)..."Mukluk" however - just "eww!" Emma

G

gary short

Emma you should realize how serious the seal pup thing is when Sir Paul McCartney and his soon to be X, that's goin to screw him for zillions, land on the iceflow dressed in matching dayglo red Helli Hansin floatation gear smack dab in the middle of a bunch of beer guzzling red neck baseball bat armed newfies..........what a frickin comedy!!!!!!!!!! Sir Paul f@$ked off lickidy split with his tail between his legs.

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
Hmmmm - seal or rabbit be MY query there!!:paranoid: - What the hell was that? It didn't look much like "boots" to me, more like "dead small furry thing" wraped around someone's foot and leg!! - THAT a "mukluk"? IF SO, WHO BUYS THOSE THINGS????:surprised HARDLY boots to adorn in public are they now???:paranoid:(PLEASE don't tell me you have some!!!):paranoid: :paranoid: :paranoid: ...really now, ARE those seriously "mukluks"??? - NO kidding??? Some of those "boots" still had legs attached surely (and not those of boot owner!) - They mentalists or similar to wear such "pants" footwear???:surprised I can't say I've seen these in the UK - THIS is some crazy US creation isn't it? - MUCH like "New Kids on The Block" back in the 90's???:cheeky: - SURELY these aren't DR fashion??? (I never saw any there - me suspect this a fib!!!) Emma:ninja:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Hmmmm - seal or rabbit be MY query there!!:paranoid: - What the hell was that? It didn't look much like "boots" to me, more like "dead small furry thing" wraped around someone's foot and leg!! - THAT a "mukluk"? IF SO, WHO BUYS THOSE THINGS????:surprised HARDLY boots to adorn in public are they now???:paranoid:(PLEASE don't tell me you have some!!!):paranoid: :paranoid: :paranoid: ...really now, ARE those seriously "mukluks"??? - NO kidding??? Some of those "boots" still had legs attached surely (and not those of boot owner!) - They mentalists or similar to wear such "pants" footwear???:surprised I can't say I've seen these in the UK - THIS is some crazy US creation isn't it? - MUCH like "New Kids on The Block" back in the 90's???:cheeky: - SURELY these aren't DR fashion??? (I never saw any there - me suspect this a fib!!!) Emma:ninja:

Believe it or not the company in the link that distributes mukluks is based in the UK. Read link.

Last edited:

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
Hmmm...these one of the Uk "creations" that failed in the Uk but "made it" in the "land of dreams" then??? - MUCH laughter!!!!!

And Gary - SURELY not??? NOT seal AND rabbit ya brutal...ist (for want of a better word *cough*) Emma...LOL!!!!

Edit to add: NOBODY mentioned seal/rabbit AND REINDEER!!!!!! :-O

Edit to add again: This has become a thread devoid of anything DR related - but it made me smile!! - Guess it will close soon but Gary: Me understand so me happy now!!!! ;)

Last edited:

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
OHHHH! WHAT TYPE of (ski boot) "mukluk" did you adorn???...MORE interestingly (DR connected or MOST CERTAINLY otherwise) when did you do minus 60??? - Be liking to hear about that if ya be so kind! Emma;)

G

gary short

Inuvik, Tuk, Norman Wells, Ft Norman, Yellownife, Watson Lake, Hay River, Beaver Lodge, High Prarie etc,etc,etc...........

Status
Not open for further replies.