Ortiz for MVP?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
He's certainly put up phenomenal numbers, and hit some huge game-winners, and he's very difficult to dislike (unlike Jeter - in my eyes). Definitely a worthy candidate.

That being said, I would have given the MVP to Jeter at the end of July, and I haven't changed my mind. He's the best player in baseball methinks. MeRod has distinguished himself this year - to a broader base - that he's a little beeyatch, albeit with crazy skills. His glove ruined any chances at a repeat winner, or so it would seem.

The voting is flawed, and so is the process (some judge relevant competencies completely different than others, skewing the voting) but I'd vote for Derek Jeter without question.

Justin Morneau (Minnesota Twins) may be just as valuable to his team this year as Jeter, but I sense the hearts will go with Jeter. Playing in NY gives him a distinct advantage, but he still has to perform, and does so under far greater distress and pressure which only confirms my belief even more.

Derek Jeter MVP.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Cleef, I am surprised to hear you say that, and, I am sure you are not surprised that I agree. I think Ortiz is awesome, no question. BUT, he dosen't play defense. That is why A-Rod beat him out last year.

I know Jeter dosent have the power numbers, but I give it to Jeter because he led the Yanks to the AL East title despite them losing Sheffield and Matsui for most of the year. Jeter really comes to play every day. He is a great example to his teamates. That is an intangible that many might not see but I think he is the Most Valuable Player in the league.

Larry

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
You know what? I am sick and tired of these "unwritten rules" in baseball. If a DH can't win the MVP because he does'nt play the field, then make it a rule. Don't hold it against him come voting time if he is eligable like any other player just to take it away from him because he does'nt play both sides of the field.

I went to a Red Sox game this summer. As rascist a town as Boston is(please let's not get into this-I went to school in the northeast and know what I'm talking about) every time Ortiz came up to bat he got the biggest cheers. You have to esperience it at least once in your life-it left me with chills. He can run for mayor in that town, and its' because he's been putting up MVP-like numbers for many years and everyone loves him. He should get the MVP just for what he's done in Boston. Just give it to him already!!!!

Hey, Pachino won an Oscar for one of the worst roles he ever played, so if Ortiz does'nt play first base, so what?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
He's certainly put up phenomenal numbers, and hit some huge game-winners, and he's very difficult to dislike (unlike Jeter - in my eyes). Definitely a worthy candidate.

That being said, I would have given the MVP to Jeter at the end of July, and I haven't changed my mind. He's the best player in baseball methinks. MeRod has distinguished himself this year - to a broader base - that he's a little beeyatch, albeit with crazy skills. His glove ruined any chances at a repeat winner, or so it would seem.

The voting is flawed, and so is the process (some judge relevant competencies completely different than others, skewing the voting) but I'd vote for Derek Jeter without question.

Justin Morneau (Minnesota Twins) may be just as valuable to his team this year as Jeter, but I sense the hearts will go with Jeter. Playing in NY gives him a distinct advantage, but he still has to perform, and does so under far greater distress and pressure which only confirms my belief even more.

Derek Jeter MVP.
Hey Cleefy, here's another one for your "deletion files": so you would give it to Jeter even if you dislike him. Would you like him if he played for the SUCKS!.

Ortiz shouldn't win CRAP!. Let him play on the field every day!.

Good night Cleefy and stop being such a Yankees hater, be a baseball fan for a change!.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I like Ortiz. From a fan's perspective, I like to watch him hit.

For anyone with common sense to still mention Ortiz as MVP of the AL, they need to look at what Ryan Howard is doing in Philly as a fat-ass 1B. That and the fact that, pretty much single-handedly, Howard has kept Philly in the wild-card hunt. And he's doing this without a Manny Ramirez behind him in the lineup. And Ryan Howard probably won't even win the MVP.

Until Ortiz can put up those ridiculous numbers while playing a position, he won't win MVP. A DH is NOT a complete player.

Jeter's the AL MVP (Yeah, the Yankees are still playing for something.)

Ortiz is the MVP of the Boston Bo-sux. No more, no less.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Ortiz might have had a chance to win MVP, if the Sox had made the playoffs.

Yeah, getting their asses handed to them 5 games in a row by the Yankees in Boston, pretty much killed all speculation of that..and any thought of the post-season for the BoSux. Back to business as usual.