Bus Stops Along Av. 27 de Febrero???

JoyO

Jul 16, 2006
Hi,
Last week I left Plaza Lama and was trying to get to my apartment which is going towards Privada. Before Privada, the bus made a stop, but my apartment is a little bit passed Privada. So I stayed on the bus because I knew that there was a Parada (Bus Stop) right in front of my apartment. So I pushed the stop button, and the bus didnt stop in front of the Parada I needed. In fact, it passed 2 or 3 Paradas before it stopped, and I had to walk FOREVER to get to my apartment.

So the question I am asking is "Does anyone have a list of where exactly the REAL bus stops are along Av. 27 de Febrero? Preferably from Mirador Norte (around around Privada) to Gazcue (around Unibe). Thanks in advance.

Also...I would like to know how safe are the carros publicos? (i think that's what they are called)
I heard that there's a lot of theft in them, and I really dont want to get robbed.

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
publicos

Im an obvious American and have taken publicos many, many times. I have heard from Dominican friends, however, stories about being robbed and threatened in publicos. Maybe Ive just been lucky?

The thefts usually happen when there is teamwork between the driver and two people in the backseat who "sandwich" you between them. If you sense that there is something going on, refuse to sit in the middle, even to the point of refusing to get in the car.

But again, Ive taken many publicos along 27 and never had a problem. You *will* be packed in among strangers, so watch your purse and pockets. Have your money to pay already in your hand when you climb in, so you dont have to rifle for it.

Etiquette Ive learned:

1. the drivers are esp sensitive about their passenger-side doors, which are being used a million times a day. Dont shut them too forcefully.

2. try to pay as soon as possible, esp if you need change.

3. give the driver a block heads-up when you want to get out.

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
I could add ......if you don't want to me "sandwiched" or uncomfortable.....pay the extra fair for the front.....I always do that to sit alone......its like a .25 USC more.......good luck!!

JoyO

Jul 16, 2006
oh Wow! Thanks. Now how would I say that I want to be in the front by myself? Um...lol...excuse my spanish.
"Solamente yo en el frente" ???

alabemos

Dec 15, 2004
Just say...

oh Wow! Thanks. Now how would I say that I want to be in the front by myself? Um...lol...excuse my spanish.
"Solamente yo en el frente" ???

"Toma. 20 pesos. Est? completo ya." Or, hand him $20 and say, "No ponga nadie mas al frente."

I assume by now you've learned that the express buses don't stop at every stop. The smaller 27 buses will stop anyplace you want, and cost $10. Of course they don't have AC, but then you don't always get stuck standing up either.

BTW be careful if you ever have to stand on a bus and hold the top rails. Your pockets and bags are then uncovered, and it is a great time to be pickpocketed.